Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using variables in AWK
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using variables in AWK Post 302339211 by chris01010 on Thursday 30th of July 2009 04:44:53 AM
Old 07-30-2009
Thanks i'm using the second option.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk with variables

Hi I have a file with a line like this, wich is read by an awk script : Logical Name | Server Type | Server1 | DB1 | User1 | $PASSWORD | Serv2 |DB2 | User2 | $PASSWORD Awk reads it fine, but...it doesnt interpret the variable $PASSWORD as I wish. How do I tell awk to substitute $PASSWORD... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scarlos
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

OLD value for awk variables

I want to print old and new values of some field in Awk script. This is wat I done! Sample file is as follows But the output I god is bit different What must be the problem here? I am using bash. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogesh_powar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk and Variables

Hi, I have some files in metrica (assume a pre-defined format) which i need to process and have some values in a .csv file. The script that does this, part of which is: procMetricaOMData() { host=$1 fileIN=$2 fileOUT=$3 $CATCMD $fileIN | \ awk -f... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepak4you
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variables

hi i am using the following awk code for some calculations: awk '/,1,/' "$LINE" >> "$count".dat awk '/,1,/ { i++ } END { print i }' "$count".dat awk '{sum+=$3} END {print sum}' 1.spd > test awk '{average=sum/i} END {print average}' 1.spd >> test can i use a variable created in one... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK variables.

Hi all, I am new to the forum and Shell Script programming. The problem is: I need to do a script to search all system processes and show me hierarchical way the number of bytes occupied by each of the regions of the memory map of each process. Today I got to show me the number of regions in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cougar_rea
3 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Variables within awk

Hi, I'm having trouble getting awk to read a variable with spaces in it. Input: vendorName="Bob's Steakhouse" awk -F":" '$2 ~ /'$vendorName'/ {print $1}' Purchases.dat Error: awk: $2 ~ /Bob's awk: ^ unterminated regexp The awk command isn't recognizing the entire string. It... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cablephish
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - variables

I have a data file like this: 49960 1157 32390 1227 1268 31 8 21 12 115 18493 67 250 2 2 237704 369658 52 21 312 38 27746 3174 19 160 9 555 6337 6071 43 33 I want to separate the field to three groups, $1 and $2 are the first group, $3 and $4 are the second group, $5 and $6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xshang
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Why can't value of awk variables be passed to external functions ?

I wrote a very simple script to understand how to call user-defined functions from within awk after reading this post. function my_func_local { echo "In func $1" } export -f my_func_local echo $1 | awk -F"/" '{for (k=1;k<=NF;k++) { if ($k == "a" ) { system("my_local_func $k") } else{... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
TZSELECT(8)						    Linux System Administration 					       TZSELECT(8)

NAME
tzselect - select a timezone SYNOPSIS
tzselect DESCRIPTION
The tzselect program asks the user for information about the current location, and outputs the resulting timezone description to standard output. The output is suitable as a value for the TZ environment variable. All interaction with the user is done via standard input and standard error. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is zero if a timezone was successfully obtained from the user, nonzero otherwise. ENVIRONMENT
AWK Name of a Posix-compliant awk program (default: awk). TZDIR Name of the directory containing timezone data files (default: /usr/share/zoneinfo). FILES
TZDIR/iso3166.tab Table of ISO 3166 2-letter country codes and country names. TZDIR/zone.tab Table of country codes, latitude and longitude, TZ values, and descriptive comments. TZDIR/TZ Time zone data file for timezone TZ. SEE ALSO
tzfile(5), zdump(8), zic(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.55 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2007-05-18 TZSELECT(8)