Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problems understanding example code Post 302338968 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 29th of July 2009 11:07:29 AM
Old 07-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaer
Just a couple more quick questions.

Code:
set -- $(ls -ld $file)

What is the use of the double --?

It indicates the end of option arguments; any further arguments will not be parsed as options. This is true of -- with any command.
Quote:
I have read up and it states that it doesnt allow change of any of the flag, useful in setting $1 to "-".

Im not 100% sure what it means, I have tested with one - and two and found that you could not change the file name whilst using one as an error occured.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding Code in IF LOOP

Hello All, I would like to know and understand the difference between the below 3 IF loops and also if possible what are the different other parameters i could use other than those mentioed in the below lF LOOP conditions, appreciate your help. Thanks, Sam. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems understanding example code

I am really new to UNIX and programming in general and so apologies if this thread is a bit simple. I have searched and found a piece of sample code for a training program I am currently undertaking, but seeing as I am relatively new, I dont completely understand how it works. Here is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Makaer
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Understanding the code

hello all, May i know what is this "DEBUG_ME $DEBUG_CMD main" doing in the below code. I am confused with alias also "alias DEBUG_ME='#'". Thanks for your help. set -x alias DEBUG_ME='#' if ; then . /product/apps/informatica/v7/pc/ExtProc/debug.ksh "$1" fi # Declaring the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

4. Programming

Problems understanding pipes

I am trying to create a csh clone, but am having problems implementing piped commands. Specifically, the below code simply hangs after input of ls | grep <text> It does however filter the output and display it correctly, but it appears that grep hasn't exited and my shell never comes back to the... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab_tall
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding Perl code.

Well, I found myself trying to fix some Perl code (Ive never done any Perl in my life) and I pinpointed the place where the bug could be. But to be sure I have to know what does a few line of code mean: $files_lim =~ (/^\d*$/) $files_lim =~ (/^\d*h$/)$files_age =~ s/h//The code where this was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding some Perl code.

Well, I found myself trying to fix some Perl code (Ive never done any Perl in my life) and I pinpointed the place where the bug could be. But to be sure I have to know what does a few line of code mean: $files_lim =~ (/^\d*$/) $files_lim =~ (/^\d*h$/) $files_age =~ s/h// The code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
2 Replies

7. Programming

Understanding perl code

What is the difference between the two statements below? A: $a->{"$fruit"}->{"$color"}->{size} = $size B: $size = $a->{"$fruit"}->{"$color"}->{size} Please assist. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlinelearner02
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with perl code understanding

Hi, I need to understand below perl code, can some one advise me. perl -MDate::Parse -e'BEGIN{$main::now=time;$main::old=(time-60*30)}' -nE'if(/^(\w+\s+\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+)/) {$t=str2time $1; $t > $old && $t < $now && print}' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learnbash
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding bash code

I am not able to understand below line in unix bash shell.Could anyone explain what it will do result="${path1}/*${var1}*${var2}*wssreligibleitem*.csv" path1 is defined and it is a directory path var1 is defined and it holds string value like abc var2 is defined and it holds string value like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsi.valiveti
6 Replies

10. Programming

Understanding Assembly Code

As the title suggests, I want to better understand the following assembly code: section .text global main ; must be declared for linker (gcc) main: ; tell linker entry point mov edx, len ; message length mov ecx, msg ; message to write... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
2 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)