Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sys Admin Certification
Operating Systems Solaris Sys Admin Certification Post 302338959 by bluridge on Wednesday 29th of July 2009 10:53:18 AM
Old 07-29-2009
go for the cert

King,

I have a Sol9 certification. But I have been a SysAdmin for more than 10 years and on a few flavors of Unix systems most notably HPUX 11.0 and Solaris 8/9 and some 10.

IMO getting certified requires some work. Job experience is not a must but if you have some experience it will help because "doing is believing" LOL. I really od not see the need to get cert for the heck of it but if you are going to pursue work as a sysadm then a cert will help you get started but you will be on the bottom of the totem pole whether you have the cert or not. Just be prepared to work on the bottom and working up. I see no reason not to get certified.

Also watch SUN's website closely in the promotions links. They often offer exams where when you buy one exam you can retake for free but its offered like 1 or 2 times a year and offered in a 1 or 2 month timeframe. So you have to catch this promotion. Not too bad to get a free retake within a year of the first failure.

I should caution you that getting this Sol10 cert if not going to land you any jobs...you'd do as well as without the cert. Experience counts as far as sysadm goes...

Good luck!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get hired as a Unix sys admin?

What do employers look for? I have my B.S in Comp Sci and minor in chemistry from UNC. But my GPA is a bit low (3.0) I'm studying for my Sun Solaris 9 certification. Is a certification and a Bachelors enough to get a job? Or do you need some related work experience? How hard is it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CapsuleCorpJX
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Raid help for new sys admin

Hi, I have a Sunfire v240 with 4 72GB internal disks (drive 0 is the system disk). Scratch the following ( Revised requirements below) I need to set up a Raid using the remaining 3 disks for a Oracle database, but don't know how to do it (or the size of the database). I don't know if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: antalexi
1 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Network Sys Admin

Hi, my name is wesly. I an IT tech at the Junior Level. I have a bachelors degree in Computer Information Systems. I would like to fully become a Unix Sys Admin. Can anyone please tell me what I have to do. Do I have to set up a Unix or Linux server. How about Apache. Please give me clues and tips... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wes.lat
1 Replies

4. AIX

Help training for Unix Sys Admin

I have worked on AIX for a number of years now and want to upskill to Sys Admin. My problem is my employer won't give root access etc to their servers so I must find my own way of training. Can anyone suggest a virtual environment I could use to train for AIX sys admin tasks, or suggest an old... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackmeadow
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Platform trends (what to aim for to become a sys admin)

I am currently an AIX operator at IBM (Montreal Canada). In my career path, I wish to become a system admin. I know about Linux because I'v had ubuntu at home for 2 years. What platform should I aim for in becoming a system admin ? What book would you recomand ? What certification would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

6. AIX

Role of sys admin during power outage in Data center

i am new to aix environment and all my servers are @ remote location just curious to know , what issues/tasks we will be facing when there is a power outage in a data centre, i heard outage's will be a challenging task for administrators.. any example of that sort will be a great help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rigin
2 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 101 : Sys Admin Pocket Survival Guide

HOW-TO AIX Admin 101 Sys Admin Pocket Survival Guide - AIX Worth checking it out and printing it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies
NE_SSL_CERT_IDENTITY(3) 					neon API reference					   NE_SSL_CERT_IDENTITY(3)

NAME
ne_ssl_cert_identity, ne_ssl_cert_signedby, ne_ssl_cert_issuer, ne_ssl_cert_subject - functions to access certificate properties SYNOPSIS
#include <ne_ssl.h> const char *ne_ssl_cert_identity(const ne_ssl_certificate *cert); const ne_ssl_certificate *ne_ssl_cert_signedby(const ne_ssl_certificate *cert); const ne_ssl_dname *ne_ssl_cert_subject(const ne_ssl_certificate *cert); const ne_ssl_dname *ne_ssl_cert_issuer(const ne_ssl_certificate *cert); DESCRIPTION
The function ne_ssl_cert_identity retrieves the "identity" of a certificate; for an SSL server certificate, this will be the hostname for which the certificate was issued. In PKI parlance, the identity is the common name attribute of the distinguished name of the certificate subject. The functions ne_ssl_cert_subject and ne_ssl_cert_issuer can be used to access the objects representing the distinguished name of the subject and of the issuer of a certificate, respectively. If a certificate object is part of a certificate chain, then ne_ssl_cert_signedby can be used to find the certificate which signed a particular certificate. For a self-signed certificate or a certificate for which the full chain is not available, this function will return NULL. RETURN VALUE
ne_ssl_cert_issuer and ne_ssl_cert_subject are guaranteed to never return NULL. ne_ssl_cert_identity may return NULL if the certificate has no specific "identity". ne_ssl_cert_signedby may return NULL as covered above. EXAMPLES
The following function could be used to display information about a given certificate: void dump_cert(const ne_ssl_certificate *cert) { const char *id = ne_ssl_cert_identity(cert); char *dn; if (id) printf("Certificate was issued for '%s'. ", id); dn = ne_ssl_readable_dname(ne_ssl_cert_subject(cert)); printf("Subject: %s ", dn); free(dn); dn = ne_ssl_readable_dname(ne_ssl_cert_issuer(cert)); printf("Issuer: %s ", dn); free(dn); } SEE ALSO
ne_ssl_cert_cmp, ne_ssl_readable_dname AUTHOR
Joe Orton <neon@lists.manyfish.co.uk> Author. COPYRIGHT
neon 0.30.0 31 July 2013 NE_SSL_CERT_IDENTITY(3)