Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting why double brackets for array loop? Post 302338773 by tiger2000 on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 10:33:34 PM
Old 07-28-2009
why double brackets for array loop?

Dear All,

Recently got some sample from internet search for array handle in shell script, and I can not understand why we need to put double brackets when extracting array values by this way :

for ((i=0; i<${#admins[@]}; i++)); do
echo "${admins[$i]}"
done

if modify from double to single bracket in for loop, I got this error:

syntax error near unexpected token `('
`for (i=0; i<${#admins[@]}; i++); do'

can someone advise why ?? Thanks in advance.
Rgds,
kevin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why put double square brackets in an if clause?

what is the rationale behind putting double square brackets in an if clause? for e.g. if ] || ] || ]; then echo some fields are null fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: napolayan
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

brackets vs parentheses - single and double

hi, unix gurus. i am wondering if someone can give me a clear explanation of the differneces between parentheses and brackets, both single and double. i have heard that double parentheses (( are used for numerical expressions and that single brackets [ are used for strings. but i see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankimo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

WHy the double square brackets?

One of the senior administrators gave me a shell script to modify and it begins as follows: if ] && ] {more code follows} Why the double square brackets? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of double square brackets in ksh

Hi First apologies if this has been raised before. I've got the following in a ksh script: if ] For some reason this does not work. But if I remove the double square brackets to: if This works. I thought ksh supported the ]. Or is there more to it? Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsu3000
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double square brackets question

Hi, I just came across an interesting shell script syntax like the one below: ] && (trap 'rm -rf ${WORK_DIR}/*.$$; echo "\n\nInterrupted !!\n\n"; exit 4' 1 2 3 15) Can someone please explain the code snippet above? The trap command bit is fine but ] && is the hazy part. Generally we use an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array with do while and if loop

Hi All, I am trying to run a do while for an array. And in the do while, I'm trying to get a user response. Depending on the the answer, I go ahead and do something or I move on to next element in the array. So far I can read the array, but I can't get the if statement to work. Any suggestions... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Single or double square brackets

Hi frieds, I don't understand the difference between single square bracket and double square brackets in a IF condition. Ex. if ; then RETURNJOB=1 else RETURNJOB=0 fi It run, but this if ]; then RETURNJOB=1 else RETURNJOB=0 fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dogshort
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash for loop array

Hi there, A bit new to bash and am having an issue with a for loop. I look for filenames in a specified directory and pull the date string from each meeting a certain criteria, and then would like to make a directory for each date found, like this: search 20180101.gz 20180102.gz 20180103.gz... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwheeler12
5 Replies
GSM(3)							     Library Functions Manual							    GSM(3)

NAME
gsm_create, gsm_destroy, gsm_encode, gsm_decode -- GSM 06.10 lossy sound compression SYNOPSIS
#include "gsm.h" gsm gsm_create(); void gsm_encode(handle, src, dst) gsm handle; gsm_signal src[160]; gsm_frame dst; int gsm_decode(handle, src, dst) gsm handle; gsm_frame src; gsm_signal dst[160]; void gsm_destroy(handle) gsm handle; DESCRIPTION
Gsm is an implementation of the final draft GSM 06.10 standard for full-rate speech transcoding. gsm_create() initializes a gsm pass and returns a 'gsm' object which can be used as a handle in subsequent calls to gsm_decode(), gsm_encode() or gsm_destroy(). gsm_encode() encodes an array of 160 13-bit samples (given as gsm_signal's, signed integral values of at least 16 bits) into a gsm_frame of 33 bytes. (gsm_frame is a type defined as an array of 33 gsm_bytes in gsm.h.) gsm_decode() decodes a gsm_frame into an array of 160 13-bit samples (given as gsm_signals), which sound rather like what you handed to gsm_encode() on the other side of the wire. gsm_destroy() finishes a gsm pass and frees all storage associated with it. Sample format The following scaling is assumed for input to the algorithm: 0 1 11 12 S..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..v..*..*..* Only the top 13 bits are used as a signed input value. The output of gsm_decode() has the three lower bits set to zero. RETURN VALUE
gsm_create() returns an opaque handle object of type gsm, or 0 on error. gsm_decode() returns -1 if the passed frame is invalid, else 0. EXAMPLE
#include "gsm.h" gsm handle; gsm_frame buf; gsm_signal sample[160]; int cc, soundfd; play() { /* read compressed data from standard input, write to soundfd */ if (!(handle = gsm_create())) error... while (cc = read(0, (char *)buf, sizeof buf)) { if (cc != sizeof buf) error... if (gsm_decode(handle, buf, sample) < 0) error... if (write(soundfd, sample, sizeof sample) != sizeof sample) error... } gsm_destroy(handle); } record() { /* read from soundfd, write compressed to standard output */ if (!(handle = gsm_create())) error... while (cc = read(soundfd, sample, sizeof sample)) { if (cc != sizeof sample) error... gsm_encode(handle, sample, buf); if (write(1, (char *)buf, sizeof buf) != sizeof sample) error... } gsm_destroy(handle); } BUGS
Please direct bug reports to jutta@cs.tu-berlin.de and cabo@cs.tu-berlin.de. SEE ALSO
toast(1), gsm_print(3), gsm_explode(3), gsm_option(3) GSM(3)