Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to remove first 100 line in a file? Post 302338760 by Gunther on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 09:33:43 PM
Old 07-28-2009
A solution using awk, just to make the group complete Smilie
awk '{ if(NR > 4) print $0; }' input > output

---------- Post updated at 03:33 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:31 AM ----------

Should be 100 instead of 4, of course. I just didn't find a file so large to give it a quick shot...
Btw, an edit function would be really nice.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove header(first line) and trailer(last line) in ANY given file

Hi, I need some help in removing the header (first line) and the trailer (last line) in a give file... The data file actually comes in EBCDIC format and I converted it into ASCII.. Now I need to strip off the first line and the last line.. I think we can use sed to do something like this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last line of the file

hi sir, i need help..how to remove last line of the each file for example i have files a.txt ,b.txt and so on..i wanted to delete last list of each file..the patten not same for each file..any help? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_um
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove a line within a file

Hi all, i have a text file similar to belowA1 A2 A3 B1 ... .... *** # first occurance B1 ... .... *** # second occurance B1 ... .... *** # third occurance My desired output is B1 ... .... *** # second occurance B1 ... .... *** # third occurance I want to remove the first line that is after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a line from a file

Hi ,guys. I have one question: I want to write a script which removes a line with certain string from a file, for example The name of the file is: "passwd", the contents of it is below: ************************* ... brownj2:x:5000: hynesp:x:5001: leeb:x:5002 dioxna:x:5003 ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a line from a file

./xxibe ./xxibe/11.5.0 ./xxibe/11.5.0/admin ./xxcyb/11.5.0/reports/US ./xxkintana ./xxkintana/1016454 ./xxkintana/1016454/backup ./xxkintana/1016454/updates ./xxcpf/11.5.0/xml_gw ./xxcse ./xxcse/11.5.0 ./xxcse/11.5.0/admin I have a file (sample.txt) this file contains above text. I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first line of file

Is there an easy way to remove the first line of a file so that the file: aaron benjamin cecilia daniel elliot fernando would become benjamin cecilia daniel elliot fernando (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last line of the file

Hi, unix gurus, I need to remove last line of the file. anybody can help me thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line from file and read file line by line

I have a file output.txt. File looks like this name1 10 name2 2 name3 5 I get a number n and I need to remove all lines which has number (after name) smaller or equal to n number. After that I need to write lines from file and my output must be like this: Output: 'name1 10' Output: 'name2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kubo12312
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove first line of file

How can I use bash to remove the first line of a file? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
3 Replies
HEAD(1) 								FSF								   HEAD(1)

NAME
head - output the first part of files SYNOPSIS
head [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print first 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --bytes=SIZE print first SIZE bytes -n, --lines=NUMBER print first NUMBER lines instead of first 10 -q, --quiet, --silent never print headers giving file names -v, --verbose always print headers giving file names --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1K, m for 1 Meg. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for head is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and head programs are properly installed at your site, the command info head should give you access to the complete manual. head (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 HEAD(1)