Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script questions for gurus Post 302338625 by joeyg on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 12:14:10 PM
Old 07-28-2009
Hammer & Screwdriver Since you are also looking for ideas

Perhaps what you are trying to do with your current coding?
It appears that the data records are all ten lines, maybe process ten lines at a time?

This is not in 'good clean' code, but more to start thinking...

cp xfile wkfile1
cnt=1

head -10 wkfile1 >wkfile2 #to separate only 10 lines
while [ -s wkfile2 ] #only process if data in file
do
# now, store each rec into array values
file[cnt]='head -2 wkfile2 | tail -1' #the 2nd line
fileid[cnt]='head -4 wkfile2 | tail -1' #the 4th line
etc...
cnt=cnt+1
tail +11 wkfile1 >wkfile1a #skip over first ten lines
mv wkfile1a wkfile1
done

#now you can figure out the select variable, and how to switch values?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Any RF unix gurus out there?

I am having a problem here. We are having several problems in regards to hung process's on unix (HPUX box), caused by my RF equipment (Mobile data capture units). these contact the host via a simply telnet session and locks the system? Is it a timeout problem as the timeout is disabled on the host. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subrosa
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and Perl interaction questions

hi. i´m working in bash and am trying to create a Perl daemon that controls bash´s behavior. this is actually in preparation for a later project i´ll be working on. basically, i´m looking for a way to have the Perl daemon tell bash what to do. i already have a small daemon that simply prints... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deryk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script - Unix Gurus calling

Unix Gurus, I have been breaking my head to get this done..seems simple.. I need to read a flat file and based on a key word in a line, i need to skip the previous 3 lines. eg : Line1 Line2 Line3 Line4 Line5 Line6 Error Line7 Line8 Line9 Error Line10 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravred
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED GURUS - Help!

I wish to substituite a string on each line but ONLY if it appears within double-quotes: this_string="abc#def#geh" # Comment here I wish to change the "#" characters within the double quoted string to "_": this_string="abc_def_geh" # Comment here ... but as you see, the "comment" hash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Simerian
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Questions

Hello I have to do a program in Bash, need help because it does not go out for me and go enough time with this!! Five directories(boards of directors) that more occupy, arranged according to size. To measure the size of every directory(board of directors) there must not be included the size of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danihj
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Questions

I am writing a Bash script that needs to get part of the current directory path. Let's say the current directory is /cat/dog/bird/mouse/ant. I know that the part that I want is between "bird/" and "/ant". In this case, I would want to set a variable to "mouse". If the current directory were... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickS
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Technical questions on bash,mysql and pHp

1. bash -bash escape rules, esp. ',", -how to use Ctrl+R reverse cmd search with regex? 2. mysql -how to use grep in mysql 3. php -why !0 is not evaluated to true? what's its value -php getopt: what if there is duplicate in cmdline args (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John_Peter
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question to gurus with expect

Hi., I need to ask question for expect script. I have prompt like # and very long script (orachk). I added to expect script line set prompt "(%|#|\\\$) $" and insert into it also piece of code ---- expect { timeout { puts "Running..." exp_continue } ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: beckss
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
RLAM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   RLAM(1)

NAME
rlam - laminate records from multiple files SYNOPSIS
rlam [ -tS ][ -u ][ -iaN | -ifN | -idN | -iiN | -iwN | -ibN ] input1 input2 .. DESCRIPTION
Rlam simply joins records (or lines) from multiple inputs, separating them with the given string (TAB by default). Different separators may be given for different files by specifying additional -t options in between each file name. Note that there is no space between this option and its argument. If none of the input files uses an ASCII separator, then no end-of-line character will be printed, either. An input is either a stream or a command. Commands are given in quotes, and begin with an exclamantion point ('!'). If the inputs do not have the same number of lines, then shorter files will stop contributing to the output as they run out. The -ia option may be used to specify ASCII input (the default), or the -if option may be used to indicated binary IEEE 32-bit floats on input. Similarly, the -id and -ii options may be used to indicate binary 64-bit doubles or integer words, respectively. The -iw option specifies 2-byte short words, and the -ib option specifies bytes. If a number is immediately follows any of these options, then it indi- cates that multiple such values are expected for each record. For example, -if3 indicates three floats per input record for the next named input. In the case of the -ia option, no number indicates one line per input record, and numbers greater than zero indicate that many characters exactly per record. For binary input formts, no number implies one value per record. For anything other than EOL-separated input, the default tab separator is reset to the empty string. A hyphen ('-') by itself can be used to indicate the standard input, and may appear multiple times. The -u option forces output after each record (i.e., one run through inputs). EXAMPLE
To join files output1 and output2, separated by a comma: rlam -t, output1 output2 To join a file with line numbers (starting at 0) and its reverse: cnt `wc -l < lam.c` | rlam - -t: lam.c -t '!tail -r lam.c' To join four data files, each having three doubles per record: rlam -id3 file1.dbl file2.dbl file3.dbl file4.dbl > combined.dbl AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), histo(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), tabfunc(1), total(1) RADIANCE
7/8/97 RLAM(1)