Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting Rid of Having to Write to Flat Files Post 302338613 by ahmedwaseem2000 on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 11:38:18 AM
Old 07-28-2009
assign the value to a variable and you can retreive by adding '$' at the begining of the variable name like the example below. incase, if you want to make it accessible from different processes then you can export the variable like the 2nd example.

Code:
Example 1: Variable=XXXXX
echo $Variable
Example 2:export Variable=XXXXX
echo $Variable

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get rid of blank line in a flat text file

Hi, I have a flat text file which contains blank line between each text line. Is there any command to get rid of it? Thanks for your help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: xfang
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat Files

I have a flat file like this 0001 THER ULT HEAD & NECK VES 0002 THER ULTRASOUND OF HEART 0003 THER ULT PERIPHERAL VES 0009 OTHER THERAPEUTIC ULTSND 0010 IMPLANT CHEMOTHERA AGENT 0011 INFUS DROTRECOGIN ALFA 0012 ADM INHAL NITRIC OXIDE I need to conver this to a comma delimited flat file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumsup9
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files, to get rid of extension

I have a good script to rename multiple files, but what's the best way I can remove some text from multiple filenames? Say I have a directory with 35 files with a .XLS at the end, how can I rename them to remove the .XLS but keep everything the same, without having to mv manually. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj78
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting rid of duplicate files

i have a bad problem with multiple occurances of the same file in different directories.. how this happened i am not sure! but I know that i can use awk to scan multiple directory trees to find an occurance of the same file... some of these files differ somwhat but that does not matter! the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to write Flat Files by shell script using Oracle Database

Hello There.. I came to a situation where I need to write flat files using shell scripts, I need to pull the records from the oracle database and create the flat file, This process should be automated. Can any shell script expert out here to help me.. please.. Will be really glad to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbuddy
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting rid of files with no ownership

I am in the process of learning how to do system administration (just on my own Linux machine) and have been working with the find command. One of the things I tried was find / -nouser -o -nogroup I redirected the output of my find query into a text file, and when I did a wc -l on it, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kermit
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 flat files

Hi Frnds, I have a flat file with millions of records. . Now I on this. (I prefer for AWK as its gives good performance.) Old_file.txt ------------------ 1 gopi ase .... 2 arun pl ... 3 jack sutha .. 4 peter pm .. ... New_file.txt --------------- 4 peter pm .. .. ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get rid of last _ in the files name?

ex: I have list of files in a folder. abc_def_geh_.txt abc_.txt abc_def_geh_12345_.txt ab134c_d345345ef_444geh_12345_.txt i need to rename all files to get rid of the _ before .txt result should look like this: abc_def_geh.txt abc.txt abc_def_geh_12345.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lv99
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Normalize Data and write to a flat file

All, Can anyone please help me with the below scenario. I have a Flat file of the below format. ID|Name|Level|Type|Zip|MAD|Risk|Band|Salesl|Dealer|CID|AType|CValue|LV|HV|DCode|TR|DU|NStartDate|UserRole|WFlag|EOption|PName|NActivationDate|Os|Orig|Cus|OType|ORequired|DType 03|... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sp999
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Multiline Files to Flat Files?

How to convert this: F1-R1 F1-R2 F1-R3 into a flat file for bash?? Each record F2-R1 F2-R2 F2-R3 F3-R1 F3-R2 F3-R3 F4-R1 F4-R2 F4-R3is on one line with all fields for that record, put into an output file. The output file should look like this when converted: F1-R1,F2-R1,F3-R1,F4-R1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bud1738
6 Replies
obdgpslogger(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   obdgpslogger(1)

NAME
obdgpslogger - Log OBD and GPS data to sqlite SYNOPSIS
obdgpslogger [ options ] DESCRIPTION
This is a tool to log OBDII and GPS data to an sqlite database OPTIONS
-s|--serial <serialport> Open this serial port device to connect to the elm327 device. -c|--count <count> Take this many samples at most. Leaving this option out defaults to incessant sampling. -u|--output-log <filename> Redirect stdout and stderr to this file -l|--serial-log <filename> Log all serial comms into this file. -a|--samplerate <samples-per-second> Sample at most this many times a second. The software will sleep temporarily at the end of each loop if appropriate. Keep in mind there is an upper limit to samplerate, typically capped by I/O on your serial port. Set this to zero to sample as fast as possible. BE WARNED. Values greater than ten here are forbidden for cars predating April 2002. If you think your car postdates early 2002, and you'd like to sample as fast as possible, the -o option may help -o|--enable-optimisations Enable certain elm327 optimisations. This will [usually] make sampling faster [not a noticeable amount if you're only sampling once a second], but makes it much easier to accidentally disobey the standard if you're sampling as fast as possible. -p|--capabilities Dump the commands your OBD device claims to support to stdout, then exit. -m|--daemonise Convert the program to a background daemon after successfully initialising. -B|--modifybaud [rate] Attempt to upgrade baudrate to rate. If rate isn't specified, we'll just take a few guesses and go with what works. -b|--baud <rate> Attempt to set serial port baudrate to this after launching. Passing zero tells it to try and guess, or -1 to not try changing at all. -d|--db <database> Open this database to log data to. The software will create the database if it does not exist, and create the tables it needs. -i|--log-columns <column names> Comma-separated list of column names. These are the short names listed when you use "-p" to get your car's capabilities -v|--version Print out version number and exit. -h|--help Print out help and exit. NOT OPTIONS
These options are not intended to be used by end users using the command line, they are support options for the GUI component. Use or rely on them at your own peril. -t|--spam-stdout Write all readings to stdout. The format is unlikely to change in practice, but if you choose to try to parse this yourself, I don't want to hear about it when it does change. SEE ALSO
obd2kml(1), obd2csv(1), obd2gpx(1), obdsim(1), obdgui(1), obdlogrepair(1), obdftdipty(1), dot-obdgpslogger(5) AUTHORS
Gary "Chunky Ks" Briggs <chunky@icculus.org> obdgpslogger(1)