Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BASH validate user input
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers BASH validate user input Post 302338481 by 602chrislys on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 04:10:45 AM
Old 07-28-2009
Ha thanks, that sorted it out!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

validate input from user for file name

Hello, This may have been addressed already somewhere, however I am looking for the easiest/shortest way to validate a response from a user for a file name. The file name should not have any of the following characters ~`!@#$%^&*()_-+={|\:;"'<,>.?/ Further the response should not have any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : how do i check the user input and make sure is only chracter or only number ?

Bash : how do i check the user input and make sure is only character or only number ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: CheeSen
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Varible nesting and user input

Well, I think I've managed to take two different issues and conglomerate them into and embarrasing mess. #!/bin/bash # Set some variables dir1=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/dir/ dir2=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/important/"$variabledir"-subdirectory/path/ echo "Gimme... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlp
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash user input

Hi all, I currently have a script which uses read -p for user interaction. e.g. read -p "New user? " user Is it possible to have it so if the user enters nothing and just presses return it can resort to a specified value instead? Thanks! :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a simpler way to validate user input for float?

I'm trying to only read price (FLOAT (i.e 1.10, 3.14, etc etc)) If the input is just an integer, I will add a .00 behind. (i.e 3 becomes 3.00 , 20 becomes 20.00) If the input is without 2 decimal places, I'll add a 0. (i.e 3.1 becomes 3.10) I tried using the below code, it works but I don't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash user input

I am starting to learn how to use bash and I would like the script to do the following: Asks the user for his/her name Asks the user for one number Asks the user for another number Then it adds the two numbers, Also multiply the two numbers I have the part where you get the name, and I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] how is proper way to validate user input

hi all, i have a script that need user input provide all variables that needed to complete a job. this is my current script: echo "type file source and it full path :" read INPUTFILE if || ; then echo "ERROR: you didn't enter a file source or file source is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using read to prompt for editable user input in Bash 3

Below is a simple script to prompt for user input while suggesting an editable default value at the prompt: shortname=user1 read -e -i $shortname -p "Please enter the username you would like to add: " input USERNAME="${input:-$shortname}" Please enter the username you would like to add:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - read does not wait for user input in some circumstances

Hello. I am running 2 scripts : script_1 and script_2 These scripts are run as root Script 2 contains : #!/bin/bash # # ~/bin/script_2 # E_BAD_PARAM=115 # date2stamp () { date --date "$1" +%Y-%m-%d___%H:%M:%S } # USER_NAME=$1 NB_PARAM=$# PARAM0=$0 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to validate user's input..?

$Input_filename=$ARGV; if (!-d $Input_filename && ! -e $Input_filename) { print "USAGE: Please enter '$ABCD/def/dsed.txt' as an arguement \n"; exit; } 1. Input Is suppose to be something like "$ABCD/def/dsed.txt". if the input is wrong the script should throw an ERROR message.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashid Khan
2 Replies
dlamrg.f(3)							      LAPACK							       dlamrg.f(3)

NAME
dlamrg.f - SYNOPSIS
Functions/Subroutines subroutine dlamrg (N1, N2, A, DTRD1, DTRD2, INDEX) DLAMRG Function/Subroutine Documentation subroutine dlamrg (integerN1, integerN2, double precision, dimension( * )A, integerDTRD1, integerDTRD2, integer, dimension( * )INDEX) DLAMRG Purpose: DLAMRG will create a permutation list which will merge the elements of A (which is composed of two independently sorted sets) into a single set which is sorted in ascending order. Parameters: N1 N1 is INTEGER N2 N2 is INTEGER These arguements contain the respective lengths of the two sorted lists to be merged. A A is DOUBLE PRECISION array, dimension (N1+N2) The first N1 elements of A contain a list of numbers which are sorted in either ascending or descending order. Likewise for the final N2 elements. DTRD1 DTRD1 is INTEGER DTRD2 DTRD2 is INTEGER These are the strides to be taken through the array A. Allowable strides are 1 and -1. They indicate whether a subset of A is sorted in ascending (DTRDx = 1) or descending (DTRDx = -1) order. INDEX INDEX is INTEGER array, dimension (N1+N2) On exit this array will contain a permutation such that if B( I ) = A( INDEX( I ) ) for I=1,N1+N2, then B will be sorted in ascending order. Author: Univ. of Tennessee Univ. of California Berkeley Univ. of Colorado Denver NAG Ltd. Date: November 2011 Definition at line 100 of file dlamrg.f. Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for LAPACK from the source code. Version 3.4.1 Sun May 26 2013 dlamrg.f(3)