Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to perform Grep on many Gzip files, Searching for Specific information Post 302338403 by legharb on Monday 27th of July 2009 10:48:37 PM
Old 07-27-2009
Thanks much to those that responded.

Will try what was suggested and advise.

Best regards.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching text files on specific columns for duplicates

Is it possible to search through a large file full of rows and columns of text and retrieve only the rows that contain duplicates fields, searchiing for duplicates on col4 & col6 Sample below Col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 col6 G405H SURG FERGUSON ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - searching for a specific string

ppl, this is my "file" with fields orderno orderdate orderdesc telno street city 1 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 2 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 3 01/04/2006 abc 123 100 tampa 4 01/04/2006 abc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manthasirisha
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in searching 2 files for strings then perform an action

I have 2 files. I basically want to search both of them to see if the 1st column ($1) matches and if it matches then check to see if the 2nd column ($2) matches, then execute some code showing the results of the matches. File 1: AAA 123 misc blah BBB 456 CCC 789 File 2: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perform some operation on a specific coulmn starting from a specific line

I have a txt file having rows and coulmns, i want to perform some operation on a specific coulmn starting from a specific line. eg: 50.000000 1 1 1 1000.00000 1000.00000 50000.000 19 19 3.69797533E-07 871.66394 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for files with specific extensions

Hi, Could someone give me a hand with a search for files with two possible extensions, please. The requirement is simple - I need to issue a single ls command searching for files with the suffix of, say, *.txt and *.log. I've tried to use ls *.txt *.log which works if there are both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neilmw
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep bunch of gzip files to count based on category

Started using unix commands recently. I have 50 gzip files. I want to grep each of these files for a line count based particular category in column 3. How can I do that? For example Sr.No Date City Description Code Address 1 06/09 NY living here 0909 10st st nyc 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jinxx
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep in Perl - Searching through multiple files

I'm attempting to use grep in Perl with very little success. What I would like to do in Perl is get the output of the following grep code: grep -l 'pattern' * This gives me a list of all the files in a directory that contain the pattern that was searched. My attempts to do this in Perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Moving of file content to another two files after searching with specific pattern

Hello, Please help me with this!! Thanks in advance!! I have a file named file.gc with the content: 1-- Mon Sep 10 08:53:09 CDT 2012 2revoke connect from FR2261; 3delete from mkt_allow where grantee = 'FR2261'; 4grant connect to FR2261 with '******'; 5alter user FR2261 comment... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Searching the value of a specific attribute among xmls files from a particular directory location

Hi Folks , I have the different xml files at the following directory `/opt/app/rty/servers/tr/current/ops/config` Let's say there are three files named abc.xml bv.xml ert.xml Now inside these xml there can be many tags as like shown below <bean id="sdrt"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclesamm
6 Replies
h5diff(1)						      General Commands Manual							 h5diff(1)

NAME
h5diff - Compares two HDF5 files and reports the differences. SYNOPSIS
h5diff file1 file2 [OPTIONS] [object1 [object2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
h5diff is a command line tool that compares two HDF5 files, file1 and file2, and reports the differences between them. Optionally, h5diff will compare two objects within these files. If only one object, object1, is specified, h5diff will compare object1 in file1 with object1 in file2. In two objects, object1 and object2, are specified, h5diff will compare object1 in file1 with object2 in file2. These objects must be HDF5 datasets. object1 and object2 must be expressed as absolute paths from the respective file's root group. Additional information, with several sample cases, can be found in the document H5diff Examples. OPTIONS
file1 file2 The HDF5 files to be compared. -h Print all differences. -r Print only the names of objects that differ; do not print the differences. These objects may be HDF5 datasets, groups, or named datatypes. -n count Print difference up to count differences, then stop. count must be a positive integer. -d delta Print only differences that are greater than the limit delta. delta must be a positive number. The comparison criterion is whether the absolute value of the difference of two corresponding values is greater than delta (e.g., |a-b| > delta, where a is a value in file1 and b is a value in file2). -p relative Print only differences that are greater than a relative error. relative must be a positive number. The comparison criterion is whether the absolute value of the difference 1 and the ratio of two corresponding values is greater than relative (e.g., |1-(b/a)| > relative where a is a value in file1 and b is a value in file2). object1 object2 Specific object(s) within the files to be compared. EXAMPLES
The following h5diff call compares the object /a/b in file1 with the object /a/c in file2: h5diff file1 file2 /a/b /a/c This h5diff call compares the object /a/b in file1 with the same object in file2: h5diff file1 file2 /a/b And this h5diff call compares all objects in both files: h5diff file1 file2 SEE ALSO
h5dump(1), h5ls(1), h5repart(1), h5import(1), gif2h5(1), h52gif(1), h5perf(1) h5diff(1)