Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trying a arithmatic on a command line vs scripting. Post 302338236 by Franklin52 on Monday 27th of July 2009 10:33:17 AM
Old 07-27-2009
Try this:

Code:
A=20
B=50
C=$(( $A * $B ))
echo $C

Have a read of a scripting tutorial:

https://www.unix.com/answers-frequent...tutorials.html

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH arithmatic Integer overflow

Guys, I have two big numbers to multiply. In doing do I am getting integer overflow. I managed to multiply number but this number is useless as KSh does not recognise it as a valid number. Here is what I am doing $ expr 999999999999 \* 100 276447132 I got the right value by doing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_sri
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

End of Line in Shell Scripting

I have a file containing records seperated by delimiter '|'.A record is contained on 2 or 3 lines. Now I need a shell script which could write all records with in two '|' character in one line.....for example..... |R1........................R1 R1..........................R1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 33junaid
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Arithmatic operation issue , datatype issue

Hi, I have a shell scripting. This will take 7 digit number in each line and add 7 digit number with next subsequent lines ( normal addition ). Eg: 0000001 0000220 0001235 0000022 0000023 ........... ......... ........ Like this i am having around 1500000 records. After adding... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
23 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmatic with awk

hi, i am trying some awk arthmatic calculation,i have a problem if any one can help let say if i have a file exm.txt 3 + 2 3 * 2 3 / 2 3 - 2 the output expected is awk -f exm.awk exm.txt 3 + 2 = 5 3 * 2 = 6 3 / 2 = 1.5 3 - 2 = 1 i simply used exm.awk { print $1 " + " $3 "= " $1 +... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phone_book
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare a command line parameter with -- in shell scripting

Hi, I need to check if a parameter provided at the command line is equal to --.How can i do that ? Please help me. Thanks and Regards, Padmini (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: round output or delimit output of arithmatic string

I have a file with the following content. > cat /tmp/internetusage.txt 6709.296322 30000 2/7/2010 0.00I am using the following awk command to calculate a percentage from field 1 and 2 from the file. awk '{ print $1/$2*100 }' /tmp/internetusage.txt This outputs the value "22.3643" as a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one line scripting on Unix shell..help!!

Hi Experts, I need one line script for the below requirement. First it should check if a directory with todays date exist, and if not create it and move the PDF file to that directory. thanks in advance!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeegopikannan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmatic

Hi Guys, I am relatively new to scripting at the moment and am struggling to get the following function to work. For some reason it does not recognise the arithmatic symbol when i select option1. Any help would be greatly appreciated. menu () { echo "==============" echo "Calculator"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: somersetdan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with scripting-->Inserting a line before a pattern

Hi Guys, I have written the following script test.sh in Linux . read -p "Please enter the name of the application: " DIRTOCREATE read -p "Please enter the number of associates to be given access to svn:" COUNT for (( i=0 ; i<$COUNT ; i++ )) do read -p "Enter the associate id :"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_1990
2 Replies
SYF(1)							     CAO-VLSI Reference Manual							    SYF(1)

NAME
SYF - Finite State Machine synthesizer. ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr SYNOPSIS
syf -a|j|m|u|o|r [-CDEOPRSTV] input_name [output_name] DESCRIPTION
syf is a Finite State Machine synthesizer. syf allows a fast generation of VHDL Data Flow description (see vbe(5)) from a VHDL Finite State Machine description (see fsm(5)). The input FSM specification can use an internal STACK. Both MOORE and MEALEY FSMs can be synthe- sized, with output registers if desired. For a MOORE FSM, a timing-optimized implementation that emulates a ROM with microsequencer is possible. A scan-path for the state registers can also be implemented. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
MBK_WORK_LIB(1) indicates the path to the read/write directory for the session. OPTIONS
-a Uses "Asp" as encoding algorithm. -j Uses "Jedi" as encoding algorithm. -m Uses "Mustang" as encoding algorithm. -u Uses an encoding given by user through <input_name>.enc file. In this file, a line started by a # character is a comment. A valid line contains one state name followed by its hexadecimal code. -o Uses the one hot encoding algorithm. -r Uses distinct random numbers for state encoding. -C Checks the transition's consistency. -D With this option syf doesn't optimize unused, i.e Don't Care, codes. -E Saves the encoding result in the <output_name>.enc. This file has the same syntax as <input_name>.enc file which is used by -u option. -O With this option syf places registers on the outputs. -P Implements a scan-path for the state registers, stack registers and possibly output registers. Scan-path mechanism is directely included in states decoder. Users should use scapin(5) for a correct insertion of a scan-path in a netlist. Please check fsm(5) for information about scan-path descriptions. -R This option is only available for MOORE FSM. With this option, syf emulate s a ROM with micro-sequencer implementation : there is no combinatorial logic between the state registers and the FSM outputs. This can be mandatory for external timing constraints. See fsm(5) and grog(1) for more on ROM descriptions. -S With this option syf doesn't take into account the cost of the transitions to compute an encoding. -V Verbose mode on. Each step of the FSM synthesis is displayed on the standard output, along with some statistics. EXAMPLE
Environment variables: setenv MBK_WORK_LIB /alliance/tutorials/dlxm syf is called as follow (the dlx_ctrl.fsm is already created in /alliance/tutorials/dlxm) : syf -sE dlx_ctrl Two files will be generated, a states encoding file dlx_ctrls.enc and a VHDL data flow file /alliance/tutorials/dlxm/dlx_ctrls.vbe SEE ALSO
fsm(5), vbe(5), vhdl(5), boom(1), boog(1), loon(1), scapin(1), asimut(1), proof(1), MBK_WORK_LIB(1). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 SYF(1)