Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting running Multiple terminals/shells Post 302338198 by JerryHone on Monday 27th of July 2009 08:39:21 AM
Old 07-27-2009
Use remote shell (rsh) or secure shell (ssh) from a central script to run the sub commands on remote servers, even if the "remote" server is localhost. Bear in mind that the remote shells will have no interactive environment, so your passed command will have to set everything that's needed, and you'll also need to determine a method for getting output and status from the remote shells back to the master.

Hope that helps.

Jerry

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple Terminals

Dear Members, I have aquired a load of old Wyse dumb terminals. I have a Linux system set up that I want to be the host for all of these. Now, I know these don't use cat5 or standard networking. They are all done through serial (com) ports. However, I researched this more and found a converter... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phobos
25 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to open multiple shells while the scripts keeps running.

Hello, I've tried for a while now to run a bash script that continues to the end, while opening new shells as needed. I've tried xterm -e "somecommand"; & xterm -e " somecommand"; I've also tried screen -S "somecommand"; & screen -S "somecommand"; All without any luck, they... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Closed_Socket
5 Replies

3. Programming

fork multiple shells

Hi, i was trying to play with fork,exec and signal for spawning multiple new shells, but it seems that i'm doing blunder somewhere. <sample code> 1 /* 2 * The idea is to fork multpile(equal to $ULIMIT) childs 3 * and replace their images with process:csh 4 * during this the parent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling multiple terminals

I'd like to write a script that will call n number of terminals that will all ssh to X-server and automatically enter the same password. Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure what kind of commands would work for me here because when I call for gnome-terminal, a new terminal pops up and the old... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gelitini
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make a parent wait on a child shells running in background?

Hi I have a shell script A which calls another 10 shell scripts which run in background. How do i make the parent script wait for the child scripts complete, or in other words, i must be able to do a grep of parent script to find out if the child scripts are still running. My Code: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albertashish
1 Replies

6. Programming

Handling Multiple terminals

Hi, Basically I've written a game in ncurses that supports multiple players. Each player has a process associated with him which shares a segment of memory in which the player's structures are stored, and these structured are accessed by the 'server' program and handled there. The scope of the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgre0018
13 Replies

7. AIX

How to open multiple virtual terminals to a single LPAR

I just wondering if there are ways to open multiple virtual terminal to a single LPAR. After I have use putty to login to the VIOS. I will use mkvt -id <LPAR id> to open console but if my friend want to open 2 second one, it will say, VT already connected. IS there a way to work this around ? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wingcross
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate an application using scripting, managing multiple terminals

Hi I am new to Ubuntu and Bash scripting. I am working on a project to give a demo on an SDN application to my class. I need some help in scripting to create the demo. Please help in case if you have any idea on what am asking. The demo uses a tool called mininet. I need just one script so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anzal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call exeute multiple bash shells from one master shell?

I have few bash shells, which i want to run sequentially, how to create a shell file, and execute/call one after other shell file. I am very new to shell programming. Bult some and running individually and also with crontab scheduler. never had a shell calling other shells, kindly would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cplusplus1
2 Replies
RSH(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    RSH(1)

NAME
rsh -- remote shell SYNOPSIS
rsh [-46dn] [-l username] [-t timeout] host [command] DESCRIPTION
The rsh utility executes command on host. The rsh utility copies its standard input to the remote command, the standard output of the remote command to its standard output, and the standard error of the remote command to its standard error. Interrupt, quit and terminate signals are propagated to the remote command; rsh normally terminates when the remote command does. The options are as follows: -4 Use IPv4 addresses only. -6 Use IPv6 addresses only. -d Turn on socket debugging (using setsockopt(2)) on the TCP sockets used for communication with the remote host. -l username Allow the remote username to be specified. By default, the remote username is the same as the local username. Authorization is deter- mined as in rlogin(1). -n Redirect input from the special device /dev/null (see the BUGS section of this manual page). -t timeout Allow a timeout to be specified (in seconds). If no data is sent or received in this time, rsh will exit. If no command is specified, you will be logged in on the remote host using rlogin(1). Shell metacharacters which are not quoted are interpreted on local machine, while quoted metacharacters are interpreted on the remote machine. For example, the command rsh otherhost cat remotefile >> localfile appends the remote file remotefile to the local file localfile, while rsh otherhost cat remotefile ">>" other_remotefile appends remotefile to other_remotefile. FILES
/etc/hosts SEE ALSO
rlogin(1), setsockopt(2), rcmd(3), ruserok(3), hosts(5), hosts.equiv(5), rlogind(8), rshd(8) HISTORY
The rsh command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
If you are using csh(1) and put a rsh in the background without redirecting its input away from the terminal, it will block even if no reads are posted by the remote command. If no input is desired you should redirect the input of rsh to /dev/null using the -n option. You cannot run an interactive command (like ee(1) or vi(1)) using rsh; use rlogin(1) instead. Stop signals stop the local rsh process only; this is arguably wrong, but currently hard to fix for reasons too complicated to explain here. BSD
October 16, 2002 BSD