Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching and deleting from a file Post 302338083 by matrixmadhan on Monday 27th of July 2009 04:56:00 AM
Old 07-27-2009
Quote:
./redirects.sh[17]: [grep: not found
Check for the whitespacing in script. There are innumerable number of scripts in the forum, try searching for them.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append a field to the end of each line of a file based on searching another file.

Hi All, I have two comma separated value(CSV) files, say FileA and FileB. The contents looks like that shown below. FileA EmpNo,Name,Age,Sex, 1000,ABC,23,M, 1001,DES,24,F, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimate
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching and deleting

Hi Guys I hope this is an easy one, is it possible to write a unix bash script, (or just a command) to search for wildcards and then delete that wildcard once it is found, and the search is performed over a whole directory tree. eg it searches for *.ppp then once it finds them it deletes ???.ppp.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beardiebeardie
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a log file and appending to a .txt file

I'm new to shell scripting and am writing a script to help me log the free memory and hd space on a server. As of now, the script just runs 'df -h' and appends the output to a file and then runs 'top' and appends the output to a log file. What I want to do, is have the script also search the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enator45
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a pattern in file and deleting th ewhole line containing the pattern

Hi All, Please can someone assist in the script I have made that searches a pattern in a file and delete the whole line containing the pattern. #!bin/sh # The pattern that user want to add to the files echo "Enter the pattern of the redirect" read value # check if the user has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shazin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for searching a pattern in 5 files and deleting the patterns given

Hi All, I have written the below script that searches for the pattern in a file and delete them if present. please can some one have a look and suggest the changes in the script. #!bin/sh # The pattern that user want to add to the files echo "Enter the pattern of the redirect" read... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with searching for a file in a directory and copying the contents of that file in a new file

Hi guys, I am a newbie here :wall: I need a script that can search for a file in a directory and copy the contents of that file in a new file. Please help me. :confused: Thanks in advance~ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zel2zel
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for an entry and deleting the line

Hi Im trying to scan a file for certain entries and remove their corresponding lines completely. What I have now is this, for USER in user1 user2 user3 user4 do sed '/$USER/d' /etc/sudoers done However this doesn't remove the entries at all. Is there another way for this? Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bludhemn
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)