Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Understanding Statements in Script Post 302338010 by Ariean on Monday 27th of July 2009 12:16:08 AM
Old 07-27-2009
Understanding Statements in Script

Hello All,
I am trying to understand line by line in the existing shell script, could you please help me out understanding the code.

1) i was trying execute the below code replacing the parameter with the real file value, but its throwing me an error.

Code:
`echo $line | cut -d "," -f4`

Translated shell command of above cut statement in shell script
Code:
GOPSmasterfile.csv | cut -d "," -f4

2) Could you please let me know what would the output or how exactly the commands work concatenated with "|" symbol or how the output or control transfers from commands in a single statement, i was referring to statements 3 & 5.

Below is the original code
Code:
while read  line
do
x=`echo $line | cut -d "," -f4`
cd $x
plant=`echo $line | grep $x  | cut -d "," -f1 | head -1 `
done < $master_file

Appreciate your time and help, Thank you!

Regards,
Sam.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running remote shell script containing sql statements

I have a shell script which resides on three SCO machines containing some simple sqlplus statments. I need to run these scripts remotely. Currently, I am trying to use rsh to do so: rsh hostname myscript args The problem is that the arguments to the sqlplus statements in the remote shell... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madbreaks
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python script - control flow statements

Hi guys.I'm just beginner of python. I'm just trying to do some analysis on simple input file. it has 6 columns and i want to consider k,l and m,n if i and j are + after that checking which value is greater or lower in k,l and m,n I have included logic header just to explain what I was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through a shell script with sql statements

Hello members, I'm working on the Solaris environment and the DB i'm using is Oracle 10g. Skeleton of what I'm attempting; Write a ksh script to perform the following. I have no idea how to include my sql query within a shell script and loop through the statements. Have therefore given a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice82
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple if statements in script and unexpected end of file

Two things... 1) If I have an if statement that is true I want it to exit without running the rest of the file, but if it is false I want it to continue.. I just did if ; then exit else echo "" fi Can that work? I want it to exit if $1 is 0, and if not to continue running the rest of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help understanding this script.

Can someone explain what is happening line by line in this script, particularly after the do statement. The script works, it renames all the files in my directory that has a date in the file name. But I would like to know more about it. #!/bin/bash newdate=12-10-1995 for file in *--* do ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we use two shebang statements in a single shell script?

Hi, As per my understanding, we can use two shebang statements in a single shell script. Please see below snippet- #!/bin/bash .......## some code A #!/bin/csh .......## some code B exit 0; Here, code A will be executed using bash shell and code B will be executed with c shell. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunmudgal4u
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simplified awk script for if else statements

Hi, The below awk script that i did is working fine. It gives me the results that i want. But, the script is not smart and very long as i have 8 conditions to meet. The sample script below only show 2 conditions. awk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS=" ~ |\t"} {if (($7>$9) && ($6>$8)){ Ql= $7-$6; Sl=... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding the script

Could someone please help me in understanding the code below: #!/usr/bin/ksh Month=`date|cut -c5-7` Day=`date|cut -c9-10` Year=`date|cut -c27-28` Rom2Jul() { case $Month in Feb) Day=$(( $Day+31 ));; Mar) Day=$((... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: hasn318
27 Replies

9. Programming

Shell script - if statements dont work

hi all, i have made a shell script and it runs until it reaches the if statement, doesn't the ! mean only if the command fails it will echo me that message and then exit can anyone please help me what is wrong with my code? many thanks, rob #!/bin/bash echo "is this archive... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple expect/send statements not working in shell script

Hi I am trying the following in my bash script which logs into my machine and runs a command. Trying to solve this using expect. The first expect statement is hit and it enters the address "10.10.0.10" but when the second expect statement is hit it exits #!/bin/bash expect -c ' spawn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skorada
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)