Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: check disk utility
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers check disk utility Post 302338003 by dnbert on Sunday 26th of July 2009 10:59:11 PM
Old 07-26-2009
I believe you're looking for fsck:

fsck(8): check/repair file system - Linux man page

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Disk hog utility

Hi, I am looking for an utility on the lines of XDU - A Disk Usage (DU) or other tree display program or xdiskusage for finding disk hogs on a Solaris system. Any clues? Thanks, enc. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
2 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

[Solved] DCMU (disk control and monitor utility) sun fire

Hi , during 2 weeks i´ve been trying to find them. i need DCMU packets for managing internal disks on sun fire x4500 and sun fire x4600 on rhel. i have opened to tickets to myoraclesupport but no answer. please anybody could tell me a link or anythiing?? i´ve been searching and searching... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any utility or tool to check logs

HI, In our project daily we need to check for some errors in around 45-50 folders. Please let me know if there is any utility tool using which 1 can check each folder and file for error. Use: Monday we are checking if there were any error in files generated on Monday Tuesday to Wednesday we... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankush_mehra
7 Replies
FSCK(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   FSCK(1)

NAME
fsck, fsck1 - perform file system consistency check SYNOPSIS
fsck [-aclmrs] [device] ... OPTIONS
-a Automatically repair inconsistencies -c Check and list only the specified i-nodes -l List the files and directories in the filesytem -r Prompt user for repairs if inconsistencies are found -s List the superblock of the file system EXAMPLES
fsck /dev/hd4 # Check file system on /dev/hd4 fsck -a /dev/at0 # Automatically fix errors on /dev/at0 fsck -l /dev/fd0 # List the contents of /dev/fd0 fsck -c 2 3 /dev/hd3 # Check and list /dev/hd3 i-nodes 2 & 3 DESCRIPTION
Fsck performs consistency checks on the file systems which reside on the specified devices. Fsck1 is an alternate version for use on obso- lete V1 file systems. When either the -a or -r flags are given, the file system will be repaired if errors are found. Before running fsck on a mounted file system, it must first be unmounted. Trying to repair a mounted file system is dangerous and should not be attempted. To repair the root file system (which cannot be unmounted), first type CTRL-F9 at the console to kill any and all processes. Log back in as root, type sync to force any buffered changes to disk, run fsck on the root file system and immediately reboot the computer by typing reboot. It is necessary to kill all processes before repairing the root file system to prevent them from modifying any disk blocks while fsck is running. This is only necessary for the root file system, any other file system can simply be unmounted before it is checked. SEE ALSO
mkfs(1), mount(1). FSCK(1)