Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX /dev/rmt0 pointed to from an NFS of another server ? Post 302337993 by TonyFullerMalv on Sunday 26th of July 2009 08:13:38 PM
Old 07-26-2009
The top data rate (and therefore bandwidth) will depend on the type of tape and tape drive you are using, it could potentially exceed 10 Megabits per second but I doubt if it would exceed 10 Megabits per second.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

mt -f /dev/rmt0.1 status

Hello all, Anyboby knows what is the reason by which the ouput of the command mt -f /dev/rmt0.1 status on AIX does not show the same information that in the rest of platforms UNIX (Solaris, HP-UX, ...)? Then, what command of AIX is similar to mt- f /dev/rmt0.1 status of Solaris? We need it to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smoraprosol
0 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Active windows when pointed.

Ok now is one is a reall dummy question...:rolleyes: I'm using KDE 3.3 and I want to know if there are any way to set the option where when I point(a cursor) to a window that window becomes active. Juust as you have in Solaris. Thanks & regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rimser9
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

execute a script on test server from dev server

I need to execute a script from dev server which is located on Test server.I can use ftp to connect to dev server and from there how can i execute a command on test server. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
5 Replies

4. AIX

Piping to /dev/rmt0 tape ?

I am trying to find a way to do the following on an AIX 4.2 with Korn: tar cvfpdl - . | compress > /dev/rmt0 The /dev/rmt0 is the device we use when we tar directly to it. I want to compress a folder's content to tape. Our current TAR does not have compression at all. We only have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
5 Replies

5. AIX

aix 4.2 : using dd of=/dev/rmt0 producing error

I want to compress backup files to tape using compress on our AIX 4.2 - Our TAR does not have compression. - I do not want to use local storage to compress as most of the filesystems are pretty full. - the only compressing tool we have is 'compress' - tapes are 5Gb 8mm I am trying this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
10 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 9 as a nfs client -- centos as a nfs server.

Hello, I have a centos as nfs server, its name is centos_A. After I finish the setup of the nfs server, the other linux can access this nfs server immediately via /net/centos_A/* But, My solaris 9 can not access /net/centos_A/* immediately. I have to leave /net/centos_A, and wait for about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bruceharbin
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sftp script for dev server to client server

hi, i am new to unix, cuold u send some sftp acripts to send files to dev server to clint server, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Koti.annam
1 Replies

8. AIX

"Please mount volume 2 on /dev/rmt0.1" message during mksysb restore

Dear all First of all, my English not so good. We have p52a (production server) and p52a (test server). Tape drives are VXA2. When both servers were AIX 5.3, mksysb on production server and restoring to test server was OK. The production server was AIX 5.3 and recently upgraded to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fifa15pc
3 Replies

9. AIX

AIX NFS Server and NFS Client

Hi 2 ALL, try to run NFS Server in AIX 7.1 : 1. Step by step on NFS Server node mkdir /tmp/test chgrp staff /tmp/test chmod 775 /tmp/test-- create export directory (fs) mknfsexp -d /tmp/test -t ro exportfs -va show mount -e :/# exportfs -av exports: 1831-187 re-exported /tmp/test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
4 Replies
MT(1)							      General Commands Manual							     MT(1)

NAME
mt - magnetic tape control SYNOPSIS
mt [-f device] [count] DESCRIPTION
Mt is a user interface to the magnetic tape commands described in mtio(4). It allows one to space a tape forwards or backwards, write end of file markers, etc. With the -f option a tape device can be named, otherwise the environment variable TAPE is used if set, otherwise the default device /dev/nrst4 is assumed. Standard input is used if the tape name is a dash (-). The count argument is used to tell how many blocks or files to space or how many file markers to write. It may be a C-style decimal, octal or hexadecimal constant, by default "1". Command is the action to perform, it may be one of the following, or any unambiguous prefix (like st for status): eof, weof Write count end-of-file markers. fsf Forward space count file markers. fsr Forward space count records. (The size of a record depends on the tape, and may even be variable, depending on the size of the writes.) bsf Backwards space count files. The count may be zero to backspace to the start of the current file. (A tape device need not support backwards movement, or may be very slow doing it. Rewinding and forward spacing may be better.) bsr Backwards space count records. The tape is positioned after the last block of the previous file if you hit a filemark when spacing backwards. The block count is set to -1 to indicate that the driver has no idea where it is on the previous file. eom Forward space to the end of media. rewind Rewind the tape. offline, rewoffl Rewind and take offline. This may cause some drives to eject the tape. status Shows the status of the drive, the sense key of the last SCSI error, current file number, current record number, residual count if the last command that encountered end-of-file, and the current block size. retension Removes tape tension by winding and rewinding the tape completely. erase Erases the tape completely and rewinds it. density Sets the density code to read or write the tape to count. Density codes supported depend on the drive. This command need not be used if the drive senses the proper density on read and can only write one density. blksize, blocksize Sets the block size used to read or write the tape to count. This command may be used to select a fixed block size for a variable block size tape. This will speed up I/O for small block sizes. Use a zero count to use variable sized blocks again. ENVIRONMENT
TAPE Tape drive to use if set. FILES
/dev/nrst4 Default tape device. SEE ALSO
mtio(4), st(4). AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) MT(1)