Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Insert text at line number
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert text at line number Post 302337744 by edidataguy on Friday 24th of July 2009 08:47:44 PM
Old 07-24-2009
Wow.... you learnt all about sed in 10 minutes.
That was pretty fast.

Again, if you want a solution, do this.
post what you have and what you need.
Example:
I get:
Code:

aaa
bbb
ccc
ddd

I want it as follows:
Code:

aaa
bbb
ccc
ddd

11111111 must come after bbb
Or may be
11111111 must come before ccc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to insert a line number on every line

hi... i have a file with data and would like to insert a number and bracket 1) ...2) at the beginning of every successive line; to add some formatting to the text (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mopimp
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk to insert comment at defined line number

Hi there, may someone easily help me on this : I want to insert a text in a specific line number like : linenumb2start=`cat memory_map.dld | nl -ba | egrep -i "label" | cut -f1` line2insert=`expr $linenumb2start + 2` and now I need to replace something like {} with {comment} at... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: homefp
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert output into file at line number

I need to insert the output of a script into a specific line number of a txt file. I've read the Sed man page and searched the forums and it's not immediately clear how I would go about doing this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pluto7777
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert new line based on numerical number of column

My input file: Class Number Position Range 1 Initial 50 1 Initial 50 2 Terminal 150 2 Terminal 20 2 Single 10 3 Single 20 4 Double 50 5 Initial 50 5 Initial 60 Class Number... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a variable to a text file after fixed number of lines

Hi, I am new to unix. I need to insert a variable which contains some lines of text into a text file after fixed number of lines.. Please help me on this.. Thanks in Advance, Amrutha (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amr89
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a text file line by line and insert into a database table?

I have a test file that I want to read and insert only certain lines into the the table based on a filter. 1. Rread the log file 12 Hours back Getdate() -12 Hours 2. Extract the following information on for lines that say "DUMP is complete" A. Date B. Database Name C.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert a line of text on nth line of a file

Hi All, I am using UNix Sun OS sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise My intention is to insert a line of text after 13th line of every file inside a particular directory. While trying to do it for a single file , i am using sed sed '3 i this is the 4th line' filename sed: command garbled: 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text at the beginning of every even number line

i am trying to insert text at the beginning of every even number line with awk i can do it with odd number lines with this command awk 'NR%2{$0="some text "$0}1' filehow can i edit this command thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob123
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert the line number from text file to filename output

Hi everyone :) I have a file "words.txt" containing hundreds of lines of text. Each line contains a slogan. Using the code below i am able to generate an image with the slogan text from each line. The image filename is saved matching the last word on each line. Example: Line 1: We do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
2 Replies
SPLFILEOBJECT.FPUTCSV(3)						 1						  SPLFILEOBJECT.FPUTCSV(3)

SplFileObject::fputcsv - Write a field array as a CSV line

SYNOPSIS
public int SplFileObject::fputcsv (array $fields, [string $delimiter = ","], [string $enclosure = '"'], [string $escape = " DESCRIPTION
Writes the $fields array to the file as a CSV line. PARAMETERS
o $fields - An array of values. o $delimiter - The optional $delimiter parameter sets the field delimiter (one character only). o $enclosure - The optional $enclosure parameter sets the field enclosure (one character only). o $escape - The optional $escape parameter sets the escape character (one character only). RETURN VALUES
Returns the length of the written string or FALSE on failure. Returns FALSE, and does not write the CSV line to the file, if the $delimiter or $enclosure parameter is not a single character. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS An E_WARNING level error is issued if the $delimiter or $enclosure parameter is not a single character. CHANGELOG
+--------------+-------------------------------+ | Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------+-------------------------------+ |5.5.21, 5.6.5 | | | | | | | Added the $escape parameter. | | | | +--------------+-------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 SplFileObject::fputcsv example <?php $list = array ( array('aaa', 'bbb', 'ccc', 'dddd'), array('123', '456', '789'), array('"aaa"', '"bbb"') ); $file = new SplFileObject('file.csv', 'w'); foreach ($list as $fields) { $file->fputcsv($fields); } ?> The above example will write the following to file.csv: aaa,bbb,ccc,dddd 123,456,789 """aaa""","""bbb""" SEE ALSO
fputcsv(3), SplFileObject::fgetcsv. PHP Documentation Group SPLFILEOBJECT.FPUTCSV(3)