Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Fall through case structure
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Fall through case structure Post 302337635 by hkansal on Friday 24th of July 2009 02:01:28 PM
Old 07-24-2009
Hello Zaxxon,

Thank you for confirming that my thought process was correct. Smilie

Let us consider the code you gave, I want to avoid writing "my_func2" twice. Can we do that?

Thank You.

Regards,
HKansal

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem w. case structure

Hello, I am having a problem setting a range of numbers for the "case" structure. I can use with no problems, but when I use it doesn't work??? Does the case struture allow numeric ranges? eg: echo -e "enter number between 0 and 60: \c" read $answer case $answer in ) echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joe54321
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Directory Structure to a new structure

Hi all Is it possible to copy a structure of a directory only. e.g. I have a file with the following entries that is a result of a find :- /dir1/dir2/file.dbf /dir1/dir2/dir3/file1.dbf /dir1/file.dbf I want to copy these to a directory and keep the structure however starting at a new dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case structure

Hi, Can anyone help me with the following case structure? echo "Please enter the date for which you want the Report:\c" read dat d1=`echo $dat|cut -c7-8` m1=`echo $dat|cut -c5-6` y1=`echo $dat|cut -c1-4` yr=`expr "$d1" - 1` case "$yr" in 0) MONTH=`expr "$m1" - 1`... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamitsin
4 Replies

4. Programming

Search attributes in one structure using the values from another structure

Hello Groups I am trying to find out ways of comparing a value from a 'c' structure to a value in another 'C' structure. the 'C' structure can be a List or liked list as it contains lot many records. if we loop it in both the structures it is going to consume time. I am looking for a simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh case structure

Hello Experts, I ve been trying to build another shell where I am using the following code. transact="tv5cpc1" case "$transact" in "...cp..") xActType="" ;; "...de..") xActType="sp_dep" ;; "...ep..") xActType="sp_epa" ;; "....v.") ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

case structure in .sh file

Hi, while true do printf "$FBOLD\nPlease enter the minutes (0-59): $FREG" read MIN case "$MIN" in ||s) break 2;; *) echo "" echo "Invalid minutes, please try again.";; esac done In the above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case structure combined with standard input

Hi folks, I am new to bash scripting so please excuse my question. Is there any chance to combine a case structure with the read command? Like case (read -p "" variable) in x) Thx! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haukee
7 Replies
FIFO(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   FIFO(7)

NAME
fifo - first-in first-out special file, named pipe DESCRIPTION
A FIFO special file (a named pipe) is similar to a pipe, except that it is accessed as part of the file system. It can be opened by multi- ple processes for reading or writing. When processes are exchanging data via the FIFO, the kernel passes all data internally without writ- ing it to the file system. Thus, the FIFO special file has no contents on the file system; the file system entry merely serves as a refer- ence point so that processes can access the pipe using a name in the file system. The kernel maintains exactly one pipe object for each FIFO special file that is opened by at least one process. The FIFO must be opened on both ends (reading and writing) before data can be passed. Normally, opening the FIFO blocks until the other end is opened also. A process can open a FIFO in nonblocking mode. In this case, opening for read only will succeed even if no-one has opened on the write side yet, opening for write only will fail with ENXIO (no such device or address) unless the other end has already been opened. Under Linux, opening a FIFO for read and write will succeed both in blocking and nonblocking mode. POSIX leaves this behavior undefined. This can be used to open a FIFO for writing while there are no readers available. A process that uses both ends of the connection in order to communicate with itself should be very careful to avoid deadlocks. NOTES
When a process tries to write to a FIFO that is not opened for read on the other side, the process is sent a SIGPIPE signal. FIFO special files can be created by mkfifo(3), and are indicated by ls -l with the file type 'p'. SEE ALSO
mkfifo(1), open(2), pipe(2), sigaction(2), signal(2), socketpair(2), mkfifo(3), pipe(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-03 FIFO(7)