Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: loop doesnt work
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting loop doesnt work Post 302337624 by Scott on Friday 24th of July 2009 01:42:39 PM
Old 07-24-2009
Hi Franklin.

It's not the filenames he's after, I believe.

It's the permissions and link count.

In any case $9 gives the filenames not $8, and why do two ls's on two different files and expect the filename to be t he same? (unless your name's freddie Smilie)

In any case on top of that the script works for me in ksh (not clear which shell he is using).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

why doesnt my script work!!!

Is there a utility or command I can use to tell the number of decimal places a number has. For instance, if the number is 432, it will give hundred as the number of decimal places. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heedunk
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cd.. doesnt work

hi when i want to go to previous directory by typing cd.. i get the following message $ cd.. ksh: cd..: not found Please help rintingtong (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rintingtong
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

ls command doesnt work

Good Day I mistakely renamed the dld.sl file in the /usr/lib directory. When i try to ls/ftp into the box i get this error :eek: crt0: ERROR couldn't open /usr/lib/dld.sl errno:000000002 I have tried to rename it back from the renamed file to the original file name, but it gives me the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shawnbishop
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cp doesnt work - Help

When trying to copy a file in Solaris 8 it doesnt copy file or give a error. This worked 100% until the 29th. I've checked the rights and everything seems fine: drwxrwxrwx 2 bmuser bmgroup 11776 Jan 3 10:32 spool This is the file I want to copy: -rwxrwxrwx 1 bmuser bmgroup ... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudi.okelly
26 Replies

5. Red Hat

ldapsearch doesnt work.

Hii All, I am using openldap v2.3 on redhat El-4. When i run ldapsearch it returns all the entries. The command runs successfully. But when I run the ldapsearch with following filter option it doesnt work and immediately returns to the shell. ldapsearch uidNumber>=2000 I've started slapd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamik
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

compiler doesnt work

this is my file I have written. // My first C++ program #include <iostream> int main() { std::cout << "Hi there!" << std::endl"; std::cout << "This is my first C++ program" << std::endl"; return(0); } This is the error I get, why? $ g++ first.cpp ksh: g++: not found (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gustave
1 Replies

7. AIX

Vi doesnt work

Hi Guys, I have a strange problem.( AIX 6.1) "vi" is not working at all..Whenever i #vi <anythin> ,, it returns the prompt back. Any clues folks?? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzahed
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why doesnt it work?

I am trying to print out two fields in a file using awk. So, I have got awk -F '\t' 'NF = 2 {print $1 $2 "]"}' two.txt in a script called what.awk When i run this version like this - ./what.awk then it runs however I want to run the program like this awk -f what.awk two.txt. When I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: The undertaker
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why doesnt if inside a while loop work ?

I am looping through a file in bash and performing some operations on it. Here is the code. cat test.dat - One Two Three Case 1: With if inside while loop Output: One file found :) ------------------ isn't it supposed to print following output !!! one (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwarentine
3 Replies

10. Programming

Creating for loop for tar -tvf doesnt work

hi all, i have created a for loop, it looks like this - #!/bin/bash cd /mnt/local/data/tars for tar in * do base=$(basename "$tar") "$base" -tvf >> /mnt/local/data/logs/"$base".csv done but i get this error - ./tar_loop.sh: line 8:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
2 Replies
MKMANIFEST(1)						      General Commands Manual						     MKMANIFEST(1)

NAME
mkmanifest - create a shell script to restore Unix filenames SYNOPSIS
mkmanifest [ files ] DESCRIPTION
Mkmanifest creates a shell script that will aid in the restoration of Unix filenames that got clobbered by the MSDOS filename restrictions. MSDOS filenames are restricted to 8 character names, 3 character extensions, upper case only, no device names, and no illegal characters. The mkmanifest program is compatible with the methods used in pcomm, arc, and mtools to change perfectly good Unix filenames to fit the MSDOS restrictions. EXAMPLE
I want to copy the following Unix files to a MSDOS diskette (using the mcopy command). very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital Mcopy will convert the names to: very_lon 2xmany.dot illegalx good.c xprn.dev capital The command: mkmanifest very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital > manifest would produce the following: mv very_lon very_long_name mv 2xmany.dot 2.many.dots mv illegalx illegal: mv xprn.dev prn.dev mv capital Capital Notice that "good.c" did not require any conversion, so it did not appear in the output. Suppose I've copied these files from the diskette to another Unix system, and I now want the files back to their original names. If the file "manifest" (the output captured above) was sent along with those files, it could be used to convert the filenames. SEE ALSO
arc(1), pcomm(1), mtools(1) local MKMANIFEST(1)