Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing words in a fast way Post 302337412 by thanhdat on Friday 24th of July 2009 05:18:18 AM
Old 07-24-2009
An alternative solution with awk:
Code:
 awk -F br '{print FS $2 + 1}' yourfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Replacing words in a file

I'm trying to write a program that will open an existing file supplied by the command line argument and then replace words with "We" or "we" by "I" and "a" or "A" by "The". When I run the program it reads the file, changes the word but re writes it on a new line with only the replaced words not the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adam85
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed replacing words with abbreviations

I really hate to do this, but I am completely stumped. I have to create a sed script that will change the abbreviations in a file to the full word. I really just have no idea where to start. All I want is a starting point as well no actual complete answer. Thank you for your time in advance. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mauler123
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing words

Hi, I have am using a file that contains names that I want to replace. Basically file 1 looks like this jack joe james john I have another file (file 2) that looks like this jack 2345 joe 6848 james 3342 john 3432 Basically I want to replace column1 from file1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find out words, replace them and count words

hello, i 'd like your help about a bash script which: 1. finds inside the html file (it is attached with my post) the code number of the Latest Stable Kernel, 2.finds the link which leads to the download location of the Latest Stable Kernel version, (the right link should lead to the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex83
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing words in file

Hello All Probably this is very simple for you but I cant figure it out I have to replace "No Header" with "Output Field Names" I/P file <ATTRIBUTE NAME ="Header Options" VALUE ="No Header"/> O/P needed <ATTRIBUTE NAME ="Header Options" VALUE = "Output Field Names"> (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing word and Capitalize words after

I have an assignment and I am not sure what to do. In Unix, I use PuTTY change the semicolon (;) to a period, and capitalize the first letter of the word immediately after it. I know change command is M-% and "." so only one semicolon is changed but I am not sure how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kathrut43
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk gensub, match capital words and lowercase words

Hi I have strings like these : Vengeance mitt Men Vengeance gloves Women Quatro Windstopper Etip gloves Quatro Windstopper Etip gloves Girls Thermobite hooded jacket Thermobite Triclimate snow jacket Boys Thermobite Triclimate snow jacket and I would like to get the lower case words at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisJ
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search words in any quote position and then change the words

hi, i need to replace all words in any quote position and then need to change the words inside the file thousand of raw. textfile data : "Ninguno","Confirma","JuicioABC" "JuicioCOMP","Recurso","JuicioABC" "JuicioDELL","Nulidad","Nosino" "Solidade","JuicioEUR","Segundo" need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: benjietambling
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that line

Hi All, I need one help to replace particular words in file based on if finds another words in that file . i.e. my self is peter@king. i am staying at north sydney. we all are peter@king. How to replace peter to sham if it finds @king in any line of that file. Please help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajib Podder
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed parser behaving strange on replacing multiple words in multiple files

I have 4000 files like $cat clus_grp_seq10_g.phy 18 1002 anig_OJJ65951_1 ATGGTTTCGCAGCGTGATAGAGAATTGTTTAGGGATGATATTCGCTCGCGAGGAACGAAGCTCAATGCTGCCGAGCGCGAGAGTCTGCTAAGGCCATATCTGCCAGATCCGTCTGACCTTCCACGCAGGCCACTTCAGCGGCGCAAGAAGGTTCCTCG aver_OOF92921_1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sammy777888
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)