Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to remove first 100 line in a file? Post 302337391 by Yagami on Friday 24th of July 2009 05:52:28 AM
Old 07-24-2009
Thanks a lot!!

---------- Post updated at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:47 PM ----------

One more question, it works well on Linux but doesnt work on SolarisSmilie

Any idea about solaris??

Appretiate your help

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove header(first line) and trailer(last line) in ANY given file

Hi, I need some help in removing the header (first line) and the trailer (last line) in a give file... The data file actually comes in EBCDIC format and I converted it into ASCII.. Now I need to strip off the first line and the last line.. I think we can use sed to do something like this:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last line of the file

hi sir, i need help..how to remove last line of the each file for example i have files a.txt ,b.txt and so on..i wanted to delete last list of each file..the patten not same for each file..any help? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_um
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove a line within a file

Hi all, i have a text file similar to belowA1 A2 A3 B1 ... .... *** # first occurance B1 ... .... *** # second occurance B1 ... .... *** # third occurance My desired output is B1 ... .... *** # second occurance B1 ... .... *** # third occurance I want to remove the first line that is after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a line from a file

Hi ,guys. I have one question: I want to write a script which removes a line with certain string from a file, for example The name of the file is: "passwd", the contents of it is below: ************************* ... brownj2:x:5000: hynesp:x:5001: leeb:x:5002 dioxna:x:5003 ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a line from a file

./xxibe ./xxibe/11.5.0 ./xxibe/11.5.0/admin ./xxcyb/11.5.0/reports/US ./xxkintana ./xxkintana/1016454 ./xxkintana/1016454/backup ./xxkintana/1016454/updates ./xxcpf/11.5.0/xml_gw ./xxcse ./xxcse/11.5.0 ./xxcse/11.5.0/admin I have a file (sample.txt) this file contains above text. I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first line of file

Is there an easy way to remove the first line of a file so that the file: aaron benjamin cecilia daniel elliot fernando would become benjamin cecilia daniel elliot fernando (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove last line of the file

Hi, unix gurus, I need to remove last line of the file. anybody can help me thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line from file and read file line by line

I have a file output.txt. File looks like this name1 10 name2 2 name3 5 I get a number n and I need to remove all lines which has number (after name) smaller or equal to n number. After that I need to write lines from file and my output must be like this: Output: 'name1 10' Output: 'name2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kubo12312
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove first line of file

How can I use bash to remove the first line of a file? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
3 Replies
remove(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 remove(3)

NAME
remove - Removes a file LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int remove( const char *path ); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: remove(): POSIX.1, XPG4, XPG4-UNIX Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Points to the file to be removed. DESCRIPTION
The remove() function causes a file named by the pathname pointed to by path to be no longer accessible by that name. A subsequent attempt to open that file using that name will fail unless it is created anew. If the path parameter names a directory, remove(path) is equivalent to calling the rmdir() function on that directory. If path does not name a directory, remove(path) is equivalent to unlink(path). NOTES
If the file operated upon by the remove() function has multiple hard links, the link count in the file is decremented and only the speci- fied file name is removed. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the remove() function returns 0 (zero). Otherwise, a nonzero value is returned. Refer to the unlink() function and the rmdir() function for information on return values. ERRORS
Refer to the unlink() function and the rmdir() function for information on error conditions. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: link(2), rename(2), rmdir(2), unlink(2) Standards: standards(5) delim off remove(3)