Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is this possible with cronjobs? Post 302337381 by collatz on Friday 24th of July 2009 03:51:32 AM
Old 07-24-2009
Hmmm... is there a possibility to set the log file write-protected automatically for the duration of the sync? I know there is the chance that log entries cannot been written into the file, but the probability should be really low...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cronjobs

hi How can I add a cronjob to the crontab file? to execute a shel script named testScript.sh every day at 00:00. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamer
3 Replies

2. AIX

Cronjobs

We recently upgrade from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.3, We noticed that some cronjobs that run for our programmers did not fire off this morning. You can crontab -l and -e and see the jobs. Did AIX 5.3 change something? Thanks Mike (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete Duplicate Cronjobs

I set up same cronjobs in two different users to generate messages at 5:30 AM Not Its generating duplicate messages. I want to delete the cron entries set up in the first user, but I am unable to view the entries in that user. I tried to find the process Id, but its not showing any id Could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nskworld
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting cronjobs...

Hi, We have 4 jobs to be run every month on different times - * a daily job runs once in 2 days at 3PM *a weekly runs every thursday at 3PM * a monthly runs last day of month either 30 or 31st at 3PM * 4th job runs on 3rd of every month at 3Pm How can I set the crontab for these 4 jobs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krworks
4 Replies

5. Linux

Cronjobs stopped working

Hi All, I am user of a Linux machine and I have approximatly 15 cronjobs scheduled in my crontab. Yesterday my administrator made LDAP active on my userid and all the things are doing fine after that. But all cronjobs for my user id stored in my crontab have stopped working after that. Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bisla.yogender
1 Replies

6. Solaris

cronjobs not running.

hi friends, how to check if the cronjobs is not running and how to make it run again. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cronjobs stopped working

Hello people, I had these cronjobs scheduled in some Unix boxes which were running fine until yesterday.But then the password was changed for that user id and then the jobs stopped working. As far as i know cron jobs run from super user. I am completely lost over here now. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting up cronjobs

hello all, I have a shell script and I need to schedule it in crontab, I have the next line: 06 16 * * 1,2,3,4,5 /usr/bin/ksh /path/path/name.sh > /path/path/name.log first, I scheduled from Monday to Friday but it doesn't run, the log file is empty.. any idea why is causing this?... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geller
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cronjobs orphan processes

Our cron job stats its started on Oct20 % ps -ef | grep cron root 1442044 1 0 Oct 20 - 25:23 /usr/sbin/cron All the below jobs aixmf,aixgh are triggered from cron only. user pid ppid date time cmd gaix 1581282 1 35 16:33:01 - 20:56... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karnan
1 Replies

10. Solaris

How to find all Cronjobs?

Hey Guys, i've got a big issue... I've to find all running scripts in all crontabs. Is there a possibility to display all crontabs of each user? What i've already tried? The following script: for user in $(cut -f1 -d: /etc/passwd); do crontab -l $user; done I'm already root but i didn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcusg562
3 Replies
Appender::DBI(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  Appender::DBI(3)

NAME
Log::Log4perl::Appender::DBI - implements appending to a DB SYNOPSIS
my $config = <<'EOT'; log4j.category = WARN, DBAppndr log4j.appender.DBAppndr = Log::Log4perl::Appender::DBI log4j.appender.DBAppndr.datasource = DBI:CSV:f_dir=t/tmp log4j.appender.DBAppndr.username = bobjones log4j.appender.DBAppndr.password = 12345 log4j.appender.DBAppndr.sql = insert into log4perltest (loglevel, custid, category, message, ipaddr) values (?,?,?,?,?) log4j.appender.DBAppndr.params.1 = %p #2 is custid from the log() call log4j.appender.DBAppndr.params.3 = %c #4 is the message from log() #5 is ipaddr from log() log4j.appender.DBAppndr.usePreparedStmt = 1 #--or-- log4j.appender.DBAppndr.bufferSize = 2 #just pass through the array of message items in the log statement log4j.appender.DBAppndr.layout = Log::Log4perl::Layout::NoopLayout log4j.appender.DBAppndr.warp_message = 0 $logger->warn( $custid, 'big problem!!', $ip_addr ); CAVEAT
This is a very young module and there are a lot of variations in setups with different databases and connection methods, so make sure you test thoroughly! Any feedback is welcome! DESCRIPTION
This is a specialized Log::Dispatch object customized to work with log4perl and its abilities, originally based on Log::Dispatch::DBI by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa but with heavy modifications. It is an attempted compromise between what Log::Dispatch::DBI was doing and what log4j's JDBCAppender does. Note the log4j docs say the JDBCAppender "is very likely to be completely replaced in the future." The simplest usage is this: log4j.category = WARN, DBAppndr log4j.appender.DBAppndr = Log::Log4perl::Appender::DBI log4j.appender.DBAppndr.datasource = DBI:CSV:f_dir=t/tmp log4j.appender.DBAppndr.username = bobjones log4j.appender.DBAppndr.password = 12345 log4j.appender.DBAppndr.sql = INSERT INTO logtbl (loglevel, message) VALUES ('%c','%m') log4j.appender.DBAppndr.layout = Log::Log4perl::Layout::PatternLayout $logger->fatal('fatal message'); $logger->warn('warning message'); =============================== |FATAL|fatal message | |WARN |warning message | =============================== But the downsides to that usage are: o You'd better be darn sure there are not quotes in your log message, or your insert could have unforseen consequences! This is a very insecure way to handle database inserts, using place holders and bind values is much better, keep reading. (Note that the log4j docs warn "Be careful of quotes in your messages!") *. o It's not terribly high-performance, a statement is created and executed for each log call. o The only run-time parameter you get is the %m message, in reality you probably want to log specific data in specific table columns. So let's try using placeholders, and tell the logger to create a prepared statement handle at the beginning and just reuse it (just like Log::Dispatch::DBI does) log4j.appender.DBAppndr.sql = INSERT INTO logtbl (custid, loglevel, message) VALUES (?,?,?) #--------------------------------------------------- #now the bind values: #1 is the custid log4j.appender.DBAppndr.params.2 = %p #3 is the message #--------------------------------------------------- log4j.appender.DBAppndr.layout = Log::Log4perl::Layout::NoopLayout log4j.appender.DBAppndr.warp_message = 0 log4j.appender.DBAppndr.usePreparedStmt = 1 $logger->warn( 1234, 'warning message' ); Now see how we're using the '?' placeholders in our statement? This means we don't have to worry about messages that look like invalid input: 1234';drop table custid; fubaring our database! Normally a list of things in the logging statement gets concatenated into a single string, but setting "warp_message" to 0 and using the NoopLayout means that in $logger->warn( 1234, 'warning message', 'bgates' ); the individual list values will still be available for the DBI appender later on. (If "warp_message" is not set to 0, the default behavior is to join the list elements into a single string. If PatternLayout or SimpleLayout are used, their attempt to "render()" your layout will result in something like "ARRAY(0x841d8dc)" in your logs. More information on "warp_message" is in Log::Log4perl::Appender.) In your insert SQL you can mix up '?' placeholders with conversion specifiers (%c, %p, etc) as you see fit--the logger will match the question marks to params you've defined in the config file and populate the rest with values from your list. If there are more '?' placeholders than there are values in your message, it will use undef for the rest. For instance, log4j.appender.DBAppndr.sql = insert into log4perltest (loglevel, message, datestr, subpoena_id) values (?,?,?,?) log4j.appender.DBAppndr.params.1 = %p log4j.appender.DBAppndr.params.3 = %d log4j.appender.DBAppndr.warp_message=0 $logger->info('arrest him!', $subpoena_id); results in the first '?' placholder being bound to %p, the second to "arrest him!", the third to the date from "%d", and the fourth to your $subpoenaid. If you forget the $subpoena_id and just log $logger->info('arrest him!'); then you just get undef in the fourth column. If the logger statement is also being handled by other non-DBI appenders, they will just join the list into a string, joined with $Log::Log4perl::JOIN_MSG_ARRAY_CHAR (default is an empty string). And see the "usePreparedStmt"? That creates a statement handle when the logger object is created and just reuses it. That, however, may be problematic for long-running processes like webservers, in which case you can use this parameter instead log4j.appender.DBAppndr.bufferSize=2 This copies log4j's JDBCAppender's behavior, it saves up that many log statements and writes them all out at once. If your INSERT statement uses only ? placeholders and no %x conversion specifiers it should be quite efficient because the logger can re-use the same statement handle for the inserts. If the program ends while the buffer is only partly full, the DESTROY block should flush the remaining statements, if the DESTROY block runs of course. * As I was writing this, Danko Mannhaupt was coming out with his improved log4j JDBCAppender (http://www.mannhaupt.com/danko/projects/) which overcomes many of the drawbacks of the original JDBCAppender. DESCRIPTION 2 Or another way to say the same thing: The idea is that if you're logging to a database table, you probably want specific parts of your log information in certain columns. To this end, you pass an list to the log statement, like $logger->warn('big problem!!',$userid,$subpoena_nr,$ip_addr); and the array members drop into the positions defined by the placeholders in your SQL statement. You can also define information in the config file like log4j.appender.DBAppndr.params.2 = %p in which case those numbered placeholders will be filled in with the specified values, and the rest of the placeholders will be filled in with the values from your log statement's array. MISC PARAMETERS
usePreparedStmt See above. warp_message see Log::Log4perl::Appender max_col_size If you're used to just throwing debugging messages like huge stacktraces into your logger, some databases (Sybase's DBD!!) may suprise you by choking on data size limitations. Normally, the data would just be truncated to fit in the column, but Sybases's DBD it turns out maxes out at 255 characters. Use this parameter in such a situation to truncate long messages before they get to the INSERT statement. CHANGING DBH CONNECTIONS (POOLING) If you want to get your dbh from some place in particular, like maybe a pool, subclass and override _init() and/or create_statement(), for instance sub _init { ; #no-op, no pooling at this level } sub create_statement { my ($self, $stmt) = @_; $stmt || croak "Log4perl: sql not set in ".__PACKAGE__; return My::Connections->getConnection->prepare($stmt) || croak "Log4perl: DBI->prepare failed $DBI::errstr $stmt"; } LIFE OF CONNECTIONS
If you're using "log4j.appender.DBAppndr.usePreparedStmt" this module creates an sth when it starts and keeps it for the life of the program. For long-running processes (e.g. mod_perl), connections might go stale, but if "Log::Log4perl::Appender::DBI" tries to write a message and figures out that the DB connection is no longer working (using DBI's ping method), it will reconnect. The reconnection process can be controlled by two parameters, "reconnect_attempts" and "reconnect_sleep". "reconnect_attempts" specifies the number of reconnections attempts the DBI appender performs until it gives up and dies. "reconnect_sleep" is the time between reconnection attempts, measured in seconds. "reconnect_attempts" defaults to 1, "reconnect_sleep" to 0. Alternatively, use "Apache::DBI" or "Apache::DBI::Cache" and read CHANGING DB CONNECTIONS above. Note that "Log::Log4perl::Appender::DBI" holds one connection open for every appender, which might be too many. SEE ALSO
Log::Dispatch::DBI Log::Log4perl::JavaMap::JDBCAppender COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2002-2009 by Mike Schilli <m@perlmeister.com> and Kevin Goess <cpan@goess.org>. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.1 2010-02-07 Appender::DBI(3)