Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris Filesystem - rename the partition Post 302337353 by SmartAntz on Friday 24th of July 2009 01:56:36 AM
Old 07-24-2009
yap... this is from the SAN storage...
so no way to change it?
coz the path name is too long for me..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 8 partition - compression

Hi, Anyone know if I have a mount point /data , can it turn on compression like what the MS Windows does ???? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to merge solaris partition

I m using solaris 8. I have some free space on my hard disk. I want to merge that space into /export/home. Please tell me complete procedure for doing it. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansoorulhaq
7 Replies

3. Solaris

Problem with Solaris Partition, I cant see it

Hi All, First post, I work as database developer (Oracle) My task is to setup a solaris system on a VMware installation which sits on a x86 server. I have installed the Os, applied patches (I think) and on VMWARE I added new hardware (Disk) which is where my database will be. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: platforminc
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Difference between filesystem and partition

wht is major difference between filesystem & partition (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajaramrnb
3 Replies

5. Linux

Partition of linux filesystem wit meaning

Cud some one pls help me wit some partitions of linux filesystem wit their meaning....urgent cos is an assignment (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GODBLESSME
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem vs. Windows FileSystem

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's the difference of filesystem of Solaris to filesystem of Windows? I need to compare both. I have read some over the net but it's so much technical. Could you explain it in a more simpler term? I am new to Solaris. Hope you help me guys. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
4 Replies

7. SuSE

Rename partition c0d0p1

Hi guys, need some help with a simple renaming task under SUSE. I'm trying to use a custom name for a disk device under OpenSUSE. I have a device named "c0d0" which contains a partition "c0d0p1" /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 is the name of the file as well as the name reported by "fdisk". I'd like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Rename soft partition

Hi folks, is there any possibility how to rename soft partitions?? Here I found that this is not possible (I know that it is) but I need do it in some supported way. http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/LOGVOLMGRADMIN/tasks-basics-5.html This is production system it is why I need do it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brusell
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Filesystem and partition, mountpoint

Hello All, I am new to System/plat-form administration work. Right now I am facing some issues while creating the filesystem and mounpoint. I am using Linux 6.0 SuSE 11. Last time I was used one command to partition the given space along with filesystem in SuSE 9 and it was done in GUI mode but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvkuriseti
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies
diskowner(1M)															     diskowner(1M)

NAME
diskowner - retrieve the owner of a storage device SYNOPSIS
path DESCRIPTION
The command is used to retrieve the subsystem, if any, which is using the specified path. The command is intended to help prevent users from overwriting storage that is already in use. The command will print out the owner of the path, or if no owner was found. A storage device is considered owned by a subsystem if it has been formatted by that subsystem. For example, if a disk contains a VxFS filesystem, but is not mounted or in use, it is still considered owned by the VxFS subsystem. If the path specified is invalid or inaccessible, an error message will be printed. Options and Arguments The command recognizes the following options and arguments: path The path name to the storage device. The path may be a symbolic link, as long as it points to a storage device, such as a file, disk, or logical volume. List all the owners of the specified path, seperated by commas Produce a compact output that is easily parsed by other scripts and programs. When used with option, displays all the owners seperated by dots This format is described in the section below. Output from diskowner displays the following possible output: owner The owner of the given path. owner can be one of the following: The path is not owned by any known subsystem. The path is part of an LVM volume group. The path is part of a VxVM volume group. The path has a VxFS filesystem on it. The path has a HFS filesystem on it. The path is being used as a swap device. The path is being used as a dump device. The path is part of an Oracle database. The path has EFI partitions on it. message An error message displayed when the given path is invalid or inaccessible. Compact Listing The option generates a compact, colon delimited listing that is easy to parse. The output format is: and so forth. The option, when used with the option, produces this output format: and so forth. The current command prints out the keys and values listed below. In the future, new keys and/or values may be added to the output. or or where path is the pathname passed as argument owner is the owner of the given path message is an error message when given path is invalid or inaccessible. n is number of owners of the given path EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). RETURN VALUE
Upon completion, returns one of the following values: The path is not owned (the owner is The path is already owned by a subsystem. The path does not exist. Invalid options or library version incompatible. The path cannot be opened due to an I/O error. The path cannot be opened due to insufficient permissions. The path format is invalid. EXAMPLES
Display the owner of a disk path: Display the owner of a logical volume in compact output: Display all the owners of a disk path: Display all the owners of a logical volume in compact output: SEE ALSO
crashconf(1M), df(1M), swapinfo(1M), vgdisplay(1M), vxvmboot(1M), vxassist(1M), fstab(4). diskowner(1M)