Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting change date format and then compare dates Post 302337346 by RubinPat on Friday 24th of July 2009 01:10:42 AM
Old 07-24-2009
Question change date format and then compare dates

I have filenames
filenameA_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz
filenameASPQ_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz
filenameAFTOPHYYINGH_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz
filenameAGHYSW_fg_MMDDYY.tar.gz

My requiremnt needs to extract date which is in MMDDYYand change it into YYYYMMDD format.

I have done the following:
filedate=`echo $filename | awk -F"[_.]" '{print $(NF-2)}'`
formatdate = `echo $filedate | awk 'BEGIN {OFS=""}{print 20 substr($1,5,2), substr($1,1,2), substr($1,3,2)}'`

if [ formatdate -lt myowndate ]

This comparison doesnot work . I have tried putting quotes, < everything nothing works. I understand the problem is formatdate datetype is actually string and so it is not doing the compare.

Is there a way where I can change the MMDDYY date to YYYYMMDD number format . Basically what i need is the YYYYMMDD format to be number datatype . Any solution . I apologise if im not clear.SmilieSmilieSmilieSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare dates in a field and print the latest date row

Hi, I need a shell script which should find the latest date in the field of file and print that line only. For eg., I have a file /date.log Name Date Status IBM 06/06/07 close DELL 07/27/07 open DELL 06/07/07 open : : : From... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cvkishore
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Change the Format of a Date

Hi All, this is my second post, last post reply was very helpful. I have a data that has date in DD/MM/YYYY (07/11/2008) format i want to replace the backslash by a dot(.) so that my awk script can read it inside the C shell script that i have written. i want to change 07/11/2008 to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date difference between 2 dates in 'yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss' format

Hi all, I know this may have already been asked but hey ho... i have two dates in the 'yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss' format. '2009-01-03 01:00:00' '2009-04-05 00:00:00' How can i, in shell script determine their differences? Please note, the time may not be available, so please suggest both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muay_tb
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Date after 5 dates in YYYYMMDD format

Hi Experts, How to get date 5 days after current date in YYYYMMDD format? How do we compare date in YYYYMMDD format? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: needyourhelp10
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

sqlite: calculating with dates - compare current date minus 6 months with stored record

Hi I have a table with name, date in format DD.MM.YYYY. I need to something like this (I try to explain in pseudo code) if SYSDATE (current date) minus 6 months > $expiry date print OK else print NOK with $name and $expiry date I know this is possible with Oracle. How to do this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk compare column with date format

I have this code to compare columns 1 and 10 between file1 and file 2 and give me all records that match column 1 but dont match column 10 However column 10 is date format mm/dd/yy and awk cant read it and compare ...i tried awk < file1 -F~ '{print $10}' and it gave blank screen Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh compare dates INSIDE a file (ie date A is > date B)

In KSH, I am pasting 2 almost identical files together and each one has a date and time on each line. I need to determine if the first instance of the date/time is greater than the 2nd instance of the date/time. If the first instance is greater, I just need to echo that line. I thought I would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Date with String in date format

Hi, I am new to this forum, searched, but for some reason did not find much help, so a new thread. I am trying to compare date with a string which is in date format , but for some reason, system does not give me the right result. Date is coming in a file and i am comparing the same with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkstool
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change just the date format

need some more help please i have a large file and i want to change just the date format with awk or sed from this yyyy-mm-dd 2016-04-15 8.30 2016-04-15 7.30 2016-04-13 7.30 2016-04-11 8.30 2016-04-11 7.30 2016-04-08 8.30 2016-04-08 7.30 2016-04-06... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob123
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare two dates in a specific format ?

Hello, I am not able to find how to compare two dates in '%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S,%3N' format i have to two dates as below date1="2016-08-24 09:47:40,444" date2="2016-08-24 10:45:40,567" how to compare these two dates ? I have tried below without success if ; then echo 'yes'; fi ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramneekgupta91
6 Replies
virt-tar-out(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-tar-out(1)

NAME
virt-tar-out - Pack a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-out -a disk.img /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir - | gzip --best > files.tar.gz DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-out" packs a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. The first parameter is the absolute path of the virtual machine directory. The second parameter is the tar file to write. Use "-" to write to standard output. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a guest: virt-tar-out -d MyGuest /home - | gzip --best > homes.tar.gz JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-out(1)