Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Fall through case structure
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Fall through case structure Post 302337308 by hkansal on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 08:12:19 PM
Old 07-23-2009
Fall through case structure

Hello Experts,

I was wondering how can we get a fall trough case structure.
Eg: If we have two cases A and B and a default; if I do not break after A, it should execute all the statements of A as well as B if I break after B else fall through even lower.
I tried this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
v1=1
case ${v1} in
    "1")
        echo "1"
    "0")
        echo "0"
        ;;
    *)
        ;;
esac

The output I get is :
Code:
fallCase.sh[4]: 0403-057 Syntax error at line 7 : `)' is not expected.

I guess the ")" pointed out by the error is the one I have highlighted above in the code; and it's problematic because of the missing ";;" after first case.

Could you please tell me what I should be doing to correct it!

Thank You.

Regards,
HKansal

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem w. case structure

Hello, I am having a problem setting a range of numbers for the "case" structure. I can use with no problems, but when I use it doesn't work??? Does the case struture allow numeric ranges? eg: echo -e "enter number between 0 and 60: \c" read $answer case $answer in ) echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joe54321
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Directory Structure to a new structure

Hi all Is it possible to copy a structure of a directory only. e.g. I have a file with the following entries that is a result of a find :- /dir1/dir2/file.dbf /dir1/dir2/dir3/file1.dbf /dir1/file.dbf I want to copy these to a directory and keep the structure however starting at a new dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case structure

Hi, Can anyone help me with the following case structure? echo "Please enter the date for which you want the Report:\c" read dat d1=`echo $dat|cut -c7-8` m1=`echo $dat|cut -c5-6` y1=`echo $dat|cut -c1-4` yr=`expr "$d1" - 1` case "$yr" in 0) MONTH=`expr "$m1" - 1`... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamitsin
4 Replies

4. Programming

Search attributes in one structure using the values from another structure

Hello Groups I am trying to find out ways of comparing a value from a 'c' structure to a value in another 'C' structure. the 'C' structure can be a List or liked list as it contains lot many records. if we loop it in both the structures it is going to consume time. I am looking for a simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh case structure

Hello Experts, I ve been trying to build another shell where I am using the following code. transact="tv5cpc1" case "$transact" in "...cp..") xActType="" ;; "...de..") xActType="sp_dep" ;; "...ep..") xActType="sp_epa" ;; "....v.") ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkansal
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

case structure in .sh file

Hi, while true do printf "$FBOLD\nPlease enter the minutes (0-59): $FREG" read MIN case "$MIN" in ||s) break 2;; *) echo "" echo "Invalid minutes, please try again.";; esac done In the above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case structure combined with standard input

Hi folks, I am new to bash scripting so please excuse my question. Is there any chance to combine a case structure with the read command? Like case (read -p "" variable) in x) Thx! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haukee
7 Replies
GEOIP_ID_BY_NAME(3)							 1						       GEOIP_ID_BY_NAME(3)

geoip_id_by_name - Get the Internet connection type

SYNOPSIS
int geoip_id_by_name (string $hostname) DESCRIPTION
The geoip_id_by_name(3) function will return the Internet connection type corresponding to a hostname or an IP address. The return value is numeric and can be compared to the following constants: o GEOIP_UNKNOWN_SPEED o GEOIP_DIALUP_SPEED o GEOIP_CABLEDSL_SPEED o GEOIP_CORPORATE_SPEED PARAMETERS
o $hostname - The hostname or IP address whose connection type is to be looked-up. RETURN VALUES
Returns the connection type. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A geoip_id_by_name(3) example This will output the connection type of the host example.com. <?php $netspeed = geoip_id_by_name('www.example.com'); echo 'The connection type is '; switch ($netspeed) { case GEOIP_DIALUP_SPEED: echo 'dial-up'; break; case GEOIP_CABLEDSL_SPEED: echo 'cable or DSL'; break; case GEOIP_CORPORATE_SPEED: echo 'corporate'; break; case GEOIP_UNKNOWN_SPEED: default: echo 'unknown'; } ?> The above example will output: The connection type is corporate PHP Documentation Group GEOIP_ID_BY_NAME(3)