Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grepping a variable
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grepping a variable Post 302337281 by magnia on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 05:34:45 PM
Old 07-23-2009
this is the full script, its going into an infinite loop

#!bash

logFile=~/access/access.log

searchParam="/$1 "
grep "$searchParam" $logfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping

Is there a way to grep for something and then print out 10 lines after it. for example if I want to grep for a word, then output the following 10 or whatever number of lines after the word. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grepping around

Using shell scripts, I use grep to find the word “error” in a log file: grep error this.log. How can I print or get the line 3 lines below the line that word “error” is located? Thanks in advance for your response. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbeauty
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping issue..

I found another problem with my disk-adding script today. When looking for disks, I use grep. When I grep for the following disk sizes: 5242880 I also pick up these as well: 524288000 How do I specifically pick out one or the other, using grep, without resorting to the -v option? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help on grepping

Hi All, I have a log file and I want to parse the logfile with a script.A sample text is shown below: I would grep on "return code " on this file. Any idea how the lines above and below the grep patterns could also be extracted. Thanks! nua7 The runLoggingInstall return code is 0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping Date Variable

Hello, I would like for the user to input the date for a particular log file, then have the input sent to a variable, which is then used via grep to extra the logs for the specific date the user request. I did some searching, but I still don't understand why I'm not seeing any result. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravzter
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file and returning passed variable if the value does not exist in file at all.

I have a list of fields that I want to check a file for, returning that field if it not found at all in the file. Is there a way to do a grep -lc and return the passed variable too rather then just the count? I am doing some crappy work-around now but I was not sure how to regrep this for :0 so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: personalt
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping for variable in brackets

I have a script which reads a number out of a log file. The pertinent line is this: cat /tmp/listofnumbers When I run cat /tmp/listofnumbers what I am seeing is on each line. I am trying to make the script read from that file and grep for a variable like the following line should do: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping the file into a variable after SSH into a server

Hi All, When i am logged into a server , i am able to assign grep value to a variable as follows. VAR=`grep 'Listener stopped' /logs/perf.log` However, when i log out of the server, and try to execute the following command by first SSHing into server, it throws error. $ VAR=`ssh Server... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle grepping variable data containing wildcards?

I have a lot of files with keywords and unique names. I'm using a shell script to refer to a simple pattern file with comma separated values in order to match on certain keywords. The problem is that I don't understand how to handle the wildcard values when I want to skip over the unique names. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abercrom
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grepping for one variable while using awk to parse an associated variable

Im trying to search for a single variable in the first field and from that output use awk to extract out the lines that contain a value less than a value stored in another variable. Both the variables are associated with each other. Any guidance is appreciated. File that contains the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)