Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Parameter to AWK
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parameter to AWK Post 302337194 by edidataguy on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 03:00:17 PM
Old 07-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakeshawasthi
Coming back to original question, how to achieve this by passing variable to awk.
Code:
user_text="first second third fourth"
var=1
echo $user_text | awk -v awk_var="$var" '{print $awk_var}'

---------- Post updated at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:39 AM ----------

$1 will be overwritten...
to avoid that, first store the passed argument and then use set.
in that case:
Code:

set $1 first second third fourth
echo $2
   first
echo $5
   fourth

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PASS parameter to AWK

Hi, Can i pass a parameter(not a file name) as a parameter to a awk program? eg; $awk -f test 1 2 3 here test is the filename...and 1,2,3 are the i/p parameters? thank you:-) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unisam
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/input parameter

Hi, My script takes in one input parameter($1-email id) on the command line... The script contains something like this... awk '$1 == 400' abc.log >def.log mail -s subject $1 <def.log abc.log looks something like this... 300 222 330 123 445 400 098 890 727 663 How do i make the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wannalearn
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk parameter

How to pass a parameter in system function e.g system(script parameter) i want to run a shell script along with a parameter (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokmits
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk != parameter

Hi all, I am having the below file log.txt 1 aaa 111 @@@ 2 bbb 222 ### 14 ccc 333 $$$ using awk '$1!=1 || $1!=14 {print $1" " $2}' log.txt gets the below output 1 aaa 2 bbb 14 ccc (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk pass $LOGDIR parameter

hi guys i need your help , i wrote one script which is as below #!/bin/ksh ########################################################### LOGDIR=/export/home/xyz/logs EMAILFile=$LOGDIR/xxs_email.log BOX=$(uname -a | awk '{print $2}') awk '{if ($4 >= 30) {print $1 " " $3 " HAS LAG of "... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tapia
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a parameter to AWK

Hi All, I am trying to pass a parameter to AWK on my KSH shell prompt as below. var1=2 echo $var1 awk -v var2=${var1} '{print var2}' testfile.txt I am passing the input file (testfile) to awk to get some o/p. It is having 10 records. When I run AWK, it is throwing the following errors... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raamc
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: replace with script parameter

Hi var=0001 I want to replace 2nd field of file with variable var in file sample.txt Please suggest with awk. dont want to use awk -v option. pseudo code : something like this. var=0001 awk '{ 12193 /var } {print $0 }' sample.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theshashi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameter not accepting in awk

In below script parameterwhich i am passing to awk function is not working.Not sure why its not accepting parameter.Please tell me how to pass parameter to the awk function.Please check the below script. #!/bin/ksh dummy_file=/etlapps/dev/data/sub_servicer_data/ScriptLogs/emp.txt fields=5... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter to awk command

Hi, I have a situation where I need to create a SQL statement using Unix script for each value in first field (ID). The file looks like this. Id,TARGET_FIELD_NAME,SOURCE_FIELD_NAME 1,Test_Rate,Field1 1,Test_Factor,Field2 1,Test_Size,Field3 2,Test_Rate,Field4 2,Test_Factor,Field5... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranredz
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does awk have parameter substitution?

Can I specify a default value to a variable in AWK like BASH in one statement using parameter substitution? BASH example: argument=${$1-"default if empty"} (BASH) I know I can do: argument=$1; sub ( "^$", "default if empty", argument) (AWK) Mike (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
13 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)