Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xargs egrep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting xargs egrep Post 302337075 by johnbach on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 10:06:13 AM
Old 07-23-2009
Once again thanks,It works
Search completed in less than 30 secs.

My grep version doesn't support -f ,fgrep does.
Code:
awk -F: '{print $2}' RULE > tmp.txt
fgrep -f tmp.txt $(ls -tr *26_06_2009*) > tmp2.txt

(Sorry I thought you didn't get my question,but actually I misunderstood your solution )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep cheat sheet anywhere? Looking for meaning of egrep -c

Hi I've been searching google and have not found what egrep -c means. Does anyone know where I can get a cheat sheet or what that -c means? thanks, Linda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leelm
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

why we use xargs..

hi , can anyone help me by saying why we use xargs.. is it acing like a place holder..? thanks, Krips. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search ")" with egrep - egrep: syntax error

Hi Guys, we have a shell script which basically query the Database which retrieves huge data and use the data with "egrep" . Now there is some data which contains characters like "abc)" and the same is used like below : "egrep (.+\|GDPRAB16\|GDPR/11702 96 abc)\|$ temp.txt" now while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarjani
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xargs -P

I discovered that GNU's xargs has a -P option to allow its processes to run in parallel. Great! Is this a GNU thing, or is it supported by other platforms as well? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using xargs

hi i just want to know that how do we use xargs command to find files which are greater than specified memory in a given directory (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit the cool
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in using xargs

Hi, I have a requirement to RCP the files from remote server to local server. Also the RCP has to run in parallel. However using 'xargs' retrives 2 file names during each loop. How do we restrict to only one file name using xargs and loop till remaining files. I use the below code for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil3d
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs and

Hello there, Let me show you a simple example of what I am trying to achieve: 1) I have an input text file with some lines: 1 a 2 b 3 c 2) And I want to run a command with these lines as arguments (+ arbitrary extra arguments). For example: $ command "1 a" "2 b" "3 c" "bye" I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tokland
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs

Dear all , any suggest on xargs to combine from (1.txt and 2.txt) to output.txt ? thanks a lot. 1.txt 0123 BUM-5M BUM-5M 93490481 63839 0124 BUM-5M BUM-5M 112112 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samoptimus
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs

I have dir with many files ( close to 4M ) . $ ls -la total 76392 drwxr-xr-x 10 oracle dba 512 Jun 06 14:39 . drwxr-xr-x 11 oracle dba 512 Dec 20 13:21 .. drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle dba 39074816 Jun 15 14:07 ad I am trying to delete them using... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with xargs

Using the bash shell I'm trying to either create a command for the command line or a script that will show netstat info for a given process name. Here is an example of what I'm trying to do:$ ps aux |grep catalina |grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' 5132 $ netstat -nlp |grep 5132 (Not all processes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: axiopisty
11 Replies
GZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 GZGREP(1)

NAME
gzgrep, gzegrep, gzfgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
gzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
gzgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If gzgrep is invoked as gzegrep or gzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, gzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep gzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; gzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), gzdiff(1), gzmore(1), gznew(1), gzforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gzip is available in the SUNWgzipS package. GZGREP(1)