Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xargs egrep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting xargs egrep Post 302337043 by johnbach on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 09:20:00 AM
Old 07-23-2009
1.Actually the RULE file names pattern,(RULE file as such is not a pattern) example
Code:
>cat RULE
SUCCESS       :Message sent successfully to
FAILURE         :Message send failed for
Acknowledged :Got ack from  
#Goes on

2.This line extract the second column ,forms a (ORed) pattern

Code:
PATTERN=`awk -F: '{printf $2 "|"} END {printf "\b"}' RULE`

#PATTERN will be  'Message sent successfully to|Message send failed for|Got ack from'

3.Search for all pattern in all file and redirect the o/p to tmp.txt (Takes 2 mins )
Code:
ls -tr *$1* |xargs egrep "$PATTERN" > tmp.txt

4.from tmp.txt do some more filtering,collect statistics (count each pattern)
(Dont have problem with this step ,takes very less time.)

Code:
Sample Output :
SUCCESS :1423
FAILURE : 432
Acknowledged : 764

But step 3 alone takes much of the time(around 2 mins)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep cheat sheet anywhere? Looking for meaning of egrep -c

Hi I've been searching google and have not found what egrep -c means. Does anyone know where I can get a cheat sheet or what that -c means? thanks, Linda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leelm
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

why we use xargs..

hi , can anyone help me by saying why we use xargs.. is it acing like a place holder..? thanks, Krips. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search ")" with egrep - egrep: syntax error

Hi Guys, we have a shell script which basically query the Database which retrieves huge data and use the data with "egrep" . Now there is some data which contains characters like "abc)" and the same is used like below : "egrep (.+\|GDPRAB16\|GDPR/11702 96 abc)\|$ temp.txt" now while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarjani
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xargs -P

I discovered that GNU's xargs has a -P option to allow its processes to run in parallel. Great! Is this a GNU thing, or is it supported by other platforms as well? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using xargs

hi i just want to know that how do we use xargs command to find files which are greater than specified memory in a given directory (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit the cool
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in using xargs

Hi, I have a requirement to RCP the files from remote server to local server. Also the RCP has to run in parallel. However using 'xargs' retrives 2 file names during each loop. How do we restrict to only one file name using xargs and loop till remaining files. I use the below code for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil3d
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs and

Hello there, Let me show you a simple example of what I am trying to achieve: 1) I have an input text file with some lines: 1 a 2 b 3 c 2) And I want to run a command with these lines as arguments (+ arbitrary extra arguments). For example: $ command "1 a" "2 b" "3 c" "bye" I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tokland
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs

Dear all , any suggest on xargs to combine from (1.txt and 2.txt) to output.txt ? thanks a lot. 1.txt 0123 BUM-5M BUM-5M 93490481 63839 0124 BUM-5M BUM-5M 112112 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samoptimus
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

xargs

I have dir with many files ( close to 4M ) . $ ls -la total 76392 drwxr-xr-x 10 oracle dba 512 Jun 06 14:39 . drwxr-xr-x 11 oracle dba 512 Dec 20 13:21 .. drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle dba 39074816 Jun 15 14:07 ad I am trying to delete them using... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with xargs

Using the bash shell I'm trying to either create a command for the command line or a script that will show netstat info for a given process name. Here is an example of what I'm trying to do:$ ps aux |grep catalina |grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' 5132 $ netstat -nlp |grep 5132 (Not all processes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: axiopisty
11 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)