Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers count number of fields not using SED or AWK Post 302336968 by lathavim on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 07:31:42 AM
Old 07-23-2009
How about this?

Code:

var="hi how are you" 
echo $var | wc -w

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How count number of fields in a record

Dear All , I have the query cat temp.txt |28-07-1997|IF_LEG_DCCT|TOV JV sdfsdfdsfdsfdsCLOSED* KIEV|381015280 I need to count the number of fields in this pipe-seperated file. I beleive this is possible via AWK command. The in above file, output of the count should be 5.... Can some-one... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of fields in column

Hi I was going through the below thread https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/48535-how-count-number-fields-record.html I too have something similar requirement as specified in this thread but the number of columns in my case can be very high, so I am getting following error. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekharjchandra
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

count and number instances of a character in sed or awk

I currently use LaTeX together with a sed script to set cloze test papers for my students. I currently pepend and equals sign to the front of the words I want to leave out in the finished test, =perpendicular, for example. I am able to number the blanks using a variable in LaTeX. I would like to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maouinin
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - count character count of fields

Hello All, I got a requirement when I was working with a file. Say the file has unloads of data from a table in the form 1|121|asda|434|thesi|2012|05|24| 1|343|unit|09|best|2012|11|5| I was put into a scenario where I need the field count in all the lines in that file. It was simply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk count fields not working

Hi, i am trying to count the fields in a file. Input: 100,1000,,2000,3000,10/26/2012 12:12:30 200,3000,,1000,01/28/2012 17:12:30 300,5000,,5000,7000,09/06/2012 16:12:30 output: Cout of the fileds for each row 6 5 6 awk -F"," '{print $NF}' file1.txt When i try with above awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to count and rename based on fields

In the below awk using the tab-delimited input, I am trying count the - symbol in $5 and output the count as well as the renamed condition ins. I am also count the - symbol in $6 and output the count as well as the renamed condition del. I am also count the tomes that in $5 and $6 there are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to output match and mismatch with count using specific fields

In the below awk I am trying output to one file those lines that match between $2,$3,$4 of file1 and file2 with the count in (). I am also trying to output those lines that are missing between $2,$3,$4 of file1 and file2 with the count of in () each. Both input files are tab-delimited, but the... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines where field count is greather than 1 in two fields

I am trying to remove all the lines and spaces where the count in $4 or $5 is greater than 1 (more than 1 letter). The file and the output are tab-delimited. Thank you :). file X 5811530 . G C NLGN4X 17 10544696 . GA G MYH3 9 96439004 . C ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk or sed script to count number of occurrences and creating an average

Hi Friends , I am having one problem as stated file . Having an input CSV file as shown in the code U_TOP_LOGIC/U_HPB2/U_HBRIDGE2/i_core/i_paddr_reg_2_/Q,1,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
4 Replies
Count(3pm)						  LogReport's Lire Documentation						Count(3pm)

NAME
Lire::Count - Lire class that implements the count operator SYNOPSIS
use Lire::Count DESCRIPTION
Class that implements the count operator. This operator counts the number of DLF records in the current group. If the fields attribute is set, the count statistics will be equals to the number of different values present in the fields specified by that attribute. Its also possible to express the count as a ratio of the total count for the group or table. METHODS
new( %params ) Creates a new Lire::Count object. In addition to the values supported by its parents, the fields and ratio attributes will be initialized to the values specified in the %params argument. fields( [$new_fields] ) Returns the fields for which we are counting the different values. This a reference to an array of DLF field names. If the $new_fields parameter is set, it will be used as the new $fields value. It must be an array reference and should only contains valid field names for the current report specification's schema. ratio([$new_ratio]) Returns how the count will be expressed. This can one of three possible values: none Default. The absolute count will be used. group The count will be expressed as a percentage of the group's count. table The count will be expressed as a percentage of the table's total count. SEE ALSO
Lire::ReportSpec(3pm), Lire::ReportOperator(3pm), Lire::Aggregator(3pm), Lire::Aggregate(3pm). AUTHOR
Francis J. Lacoste <flacoste@logreport.org> VERSION
$Id: Count.pm,v 1.16 2008/03/09 19:27:31 vanbaal Exp $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002 Stichting LogReport Foundation LogReport@LogReport.org This file is part of Lire. Lire is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html. Lire 2.1.1 2008-03-09 Count(3pm)