Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Need explanation of 'who -d' output Post 302336904 by garethr on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 05:09:31 AM
Old 07-23-2009
Thought: I believe that "orphaned" processes (parent exits without collecting their return status) are picked up by init. It looks like init keeps a record of the processes that it inherits, and their eventual exit status.

If this is what "who -d" is displaying, then the processes have already gone. I have some on my AIX systems as well, so they are probably normal.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

iostat -e / -E output explanation

Hi all, hope you are having a nice day, its nice and warm today in Canberra Australia. iostat -e / -E reports soft and hard errors. Any idea what these are exactly? All I hear are I/O's failing and needing to retry, but no cause as to why they fail. My SUN guru tells me its our EMC SAN... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottman
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr explanation please

how does below tr command replace nonletters with newlines? I think I understand tr -cs '\n' part.. but what is A-Za-z\' <--- what is this?? tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | -c --complement -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr explanation please

how does below tr command replace nonletters with newlines? I think I understand tr -cs '\n' part.. but what is A-Za-z\' <--- what is this?? tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | -c --complement -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

need explanation

Hi am having a c pgm. It has the include files (unistd.h,sys/types.h,win.h,scr.h,curses.h,stdarg.h and color.h). I don't know the purpose of these include files. will u plz explain me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mari.kb
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need explanation of script

Hi All, Can anybody explain what this script is doing? #!/bin/sh who | cut -d " " -f1 | sort -u > userlist1 while true ; do sleep 60 who | cut -d" " -f1 | sort -u >userlist2 for username in `cat userlist1` ; do if ! grep "^$username$" userlist2 > /dev/null ; then echo... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalpatel03
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

In need of explanation

Its great someone provided this script that strips out a filename and extension but can someone explain how each line works? file1='Jane Mid Doe.txt' newfile='Jane.txt' 1) ext=${file1##*.} 2) filename=${file%%.???} 3) set -- $filename 4) newfile="1.$extension" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lillyt
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of "total" field in "ls -l" command output

When I do a listing in one particular directory (ls -al) I get: total 43456 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3701594 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3108510 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3070580 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3099733 -rwxrwxr-x 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

8. Solaris

showrev output explanation needed

hi this is the output of showrev command from my sun blade 150 machine. bash-3.00# showrev Hostname: u15_9 Hostid: 83685284 Release: 5.10 Kernel architecture: sun4u Application architecture: sparc Hardware provider: Sun_Microsystems Domain: sun.com Kernel version: SunOS 5.10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingston
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need explanation

Hi, I need more explination on it, how it works abcd="$(echo "$abcd" | sed 's/ //g')" >> ${LOGFILE} 2>&1 can any one suggest me on this? Rgds, LKR (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmanraok
1 Replies
preap(1)							   User Commands							  preap(1)

NAME
preap - force a defunct process to be reaped by its parent SYNOPSIS
preap [-F] pid... DESCRIPTION
A defunct (or zombie) process is one whose exit status has yet to be reaped by its parent. The exit status is reaped via the wait(3C), waitid(2), or waitpid(3C) system call. In the normal course of system operation, zombies may occur, but are typically short-lived. This may happen if a parent exits without having reaped the exit status of some or all of its children. In that case, those children are reparented to PID 1. See init(1M), which periodically reaps such processes. An irresponsible parent process may not exit for a very long time and thus leave zombies on the system. Since the operating system destroys nearly all components of a process before it becomes defunct, such defunct processes do not normally impact system operation. However, they do consume a small amount of system memory. preap forces the parent of the process specified by pid to waitid(3C) for pid, if pid represents a defunct process. preap will attempt to prevent the administrator from unwisely reaping a child process which might soon be reaped by the parent, if: o The process is a child of init(1M). o The parent process is stopped and might wait on the child when it is again allowed to run. o The process has been defunct for less than one minute. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -F Forces the parent to reap the child, overriding safety checks. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: pid Process ID list. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned by preap, which prints the exit status of each target process reaped: 0 Successfully operation. non-zero Failure, such as no such process, permission denied, or invalid option. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu (32-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | |SUNWesxu (64-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
proc(1), init(1M), waitid(2), wait(3C), waitpid(3C), proc(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
preap should be applied sparingly and only in situations in which the administrator or developer has confirmed that defunct processes will not be reaped by the parent process. Otherwise, applying preap may damage the parent process in unpredictable ways. SunOS 5.10 26 Mar 2001 preap(1)