Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command substitution within an echo Post 302336882 by Scott on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 04:14:58 AM
Old 07-23-2009
Hi.

In that case

Code:
echo $x | awk '{print $NF, "MODIFIED"}'

Should do it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution of last command

"Is there any substituation of last command or script syntax which can be used as a user. As far I know the "last" command is being used to display information about previous logins. A member of adm group or the user adm can execute it only. Thanks in advance for your usual help. Ghazi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghazi
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between "Command substitution" and "Process substitution"

Hi, What is the actual difference between these two? Why the following code works for process substitution and fails for command substitution? while IFS= read -r line; do echo $line; done < <(cat file)executes successfully and display the contents of the file But, while IFS='\n' read -r... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using echo to print double quotes along with variable substitution

Hi, I am generating html code using cshell, but i am having one problem while printing double quotes, I need to write following code in file. where $var contains list of web address <a href="$var">$var</a> So i am using echo "<a href="$var">$var</a>" > file.html But with this " in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read command - using output from command substitution

Hey, guys! Trying to research this is such a pain since the read command itself is a common word. Try searching "unix OR linux read command examples" or using the command substitution keyword. :eek: So, I wanted to use a command statement similar to the following. This is kinda taken... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with command substitution in C program

Hi, I want to know if there's a cleaner way for assigning output of a unix command to a variable in C program . Example : I execute dirname fname and want the output to be assigned to a variable dname . Is it possible . I knew u can redirect the output to a file and then reread assigning... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalbull
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command substitution in echo

a=1 b1=unix echo $b`$a` The above code is not working. Instead of printing the variable b1 using 'echo $b1', how to use variable 'a' to print 'b1' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell $,/r getting added in echo on variable substitution.

Hi All, I'm trying to run a similar script to copy a files from one location to another. #!/bin/bash source="/home/pradeepk/a.txt" destination="/home/pradeepk/dir1" cp $source $destinationi'm getting following error. cp: cannot stat `/home/pradeepk/a.txt\r': No such file or directorywhen... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeep2002gs
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to echo command successful if command is executed successfully

Hello, I have written a command n shell script : srvctl relocate service -d t1 -s s1 -i i1 -t t1 -f If the above command executes successfully without error I need to echo "Service relocated successfully and If it errors out I need to trap the errors in a file and also need to make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding command substitution

Oracle Linux 5.6, 64-bit Given the following snippet wrkvar=`sqlplus -s / as sysdba <<EOF set echo off feedback off head off trimsp on select count(*) from v\$parameter where name in ('db_file_name_convert','log_file_name_convert') and value is not null; EOF` echo wrkvar=$wrkvarProduces... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
2 Replies
GEOIP_TIME_ZONE_BY_COUNTRY_AND_REGION(3)				 1				  GEOIP_TIME_ZONE_BY_COUNTRY_AND_REGION(3)

geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region - Returns the time zone for some country and region code combo

SYNOPSIS
string geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region (string $country_code, [string $region_code]) DESCRIPTION
The geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region(3) function will return the time zone corresponding to a country and region code combo. In the United States, the region code corresponds to the two-letter abbreviation of each state. In Canada, the region code corresponds to the two-letter province or territory code as attributed by Canada Post. For the rest of the world, GeoIP uses FIPS 10-4 codes to represent regions. You can check http://www.maxmind.com/app/fips10_4 for a detailed list of FIPS 10-4 codes. This function is always available if using GeoIP Library version 1.4.1 or newer. The data is taken directly from the GeoIP Library and not from any database. PARAMETERS
o $country_code - The two-letter country code (see geoip_country_code_by_name(3)) o $region_code - The two-letter (or digit) region code (see geoip_region_by_name(3)) RETURN VALUES
Returns the time zone on success, or FALSE if the country and region code combo cannot be found. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region(3) example using region code for US/Canada This will print the time zone for country CA (Canada), region QC (Quebec). <?php $timezone = geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region('CA', 'QC'); if ($timezone) { echo 'Time zone for CA/QC is: ' . $timezone; } ?> The above example will output: Time zone for CA/QC is: America/Montreal Example #2 A geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region(3) example using FIPS codes This will print the time zone for country JP (Japan), region 01 (Aichi). <?php $timezone = geoip_time_zone_by_country_and_region('JP', '01'); if ($timezone) { echo 'Time zone for JP/01 is: ' . $timezone; } ?> The above example will output: Time zone for JP/01 is: Asia/Tokyo PHP Documentation Group GEOIP_TIME_ZONE_BY_COUNTRY_AND_REGION(3)