Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rsync help - unable to delete the Source file Post 302336857 by amitkhiare on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 02:57:35 AM
Old 07-23-2009
Bug Rsync help - unable to delete the Source file

Hi All,

I am facing problem deleting Source while using the rsync command.

rsync --include=*`date --date="-1 day" \+\%Y\%m\%d`* --include=*`date +\%Y\%m\%d`* --exclude=* --delete-after -auvb -e ssh USER@SERVER:SOURCE DESTINATION

However the sync happens but not the deletion of the source file.

I tried giving the source 777 permissions.

also i don't get any error message saying unable to delete or something like that.

FYI ) The source and destination accounts are different and the source is a member of destination group.

Please help

Thanks and Regards,
Amit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get file from source server and delete the ftp file

Hi there Everyone, I need some help/information/advise for the following questions: I'm writing the following script: #Beginning of the script ftp -n <source server> > ${log_dir}/test_get.log << END user <user_name>@<IP Address> <passwd> verbose bin !echo "'List Files Before Getting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to delete a file

Hi .. I am trying to deleta a file but i cant do the error i get is rm: hs_pdref_custom_dict_PG1_out_76_out non-existent but when i do ls it is listing the in the directory ... please find the filed below.... -rw-r----- 1 tsta107 users 118011030 Dec 1 04:07... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
13 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Unable to delete a file through SAMBA

We have AIX box with a share. We have a Windows 2000 server with a mapped drive to this share. We were able to create and delete files inside the mapped drive. I removed the map. Changed it to a test share. Removed that map. Added it back to teh original share. However, now we can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcubitt
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to delete an open file

I am working on a unix server. I killed all the processes with my id on the machine. After that I tried to delete a file, I got an error:- file not removed.Text File busy. Deletion of directory prompted:- Directory not empty. Can anyone help me regarding this...??? Thanks, Vikas (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikasrout
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync - update file on backup when file renamed on source

hi all, Please help me with rsync. I configured rsync to preserve timestamps using the -a option. When i renamed fileA to fileB on source machine I have to copies at the backup server. The aim is to keep the most recent file. fileA & fileB has same contents. When i renamed fileB to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to overwrite but can delete file

I'm debugging a ksh script written by someone else that does the following: It runs a command and redirects stdout to a file called dberror that already exists using ">". This command fails with the following error: The file access permissions do not allow the specified action. dberror:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: savage66
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync delete single file from the target folder

Hi We want to delete a single file from the destiantion directory using rsync. Is it possible to do this ? or Do we have any alternate approaches in rsync( for ex applying some filters ..etc) For ex: ----------------------------------------------- Source (Folder) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rsync with --delete but do not delete peer dirs on target

rsync with --delete won't honor the delete if the source is something/*. I want the delete to work, but not to delete directories on the target that are peer to the intended directory. For example, using these source and target file structures: Source on desktop: ~/ Money/ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JavaMeister
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to source file in my script

Hi, ls -ltrq res.file -rwxrwxr-x 1 ora install 4278 Nov 30 07:19 res.file $ more test.sh source res.file $ ./test.sh ./test.sh: .: res.file: cannot open $ id uid=600000014(ora) gid=63855(install) uname -a SunOS mymac 5.11 11.2 sun4v sparc sun4v The same thing works fine on a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move directory with rsync and delete from source

I need a rsync command which will exclude certain files and directories from source and copy the rest. I got this command working, sudo rsync -avzh --exclude 'bin' --exclude 'braintree' --exclude 'colinmollenhour' --exclude 'composer' --exclude 'doctrine' --exclude 'fabpot' --exclude... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
2 Replies
mailutil(1)						      General Commands Manual						       mailutil(1)

NAME
mailutil - mail utility program SYNTAX
mailutil command [switches] [arguments] All commands accept the -d, -v, and -u switches in addition to any command-specific switches. mailutil check [MAILBOX] mailutil create MAILBOX mailutil delete MAILBOX mailutil rename SOURCE DESTINATION mailutil copy [-rw] [-kw] [-ig] SOURCE DESTINATION mailutil move [-rw] [-kw] [-ig] SOURCE DESTINATION mailutil append [-rw] [-kw] [-ig] SOURCE DESTINATION mailutil appenddelete [-rw] [-kw] [-ig] SOURCE DESTINATION mailutil prune MAILBOX CRITERIA mailutil transfer [-m mode] [-rw] [-kw] [-ig] SOURCE DESTINATION DESCRIPTION
mailutil replaces the old chkmail, imapcopy, imapmove, imapxfer, mbxcopy, mbxcreat, and mbxcvt programs. mailutil check determines whether new mail exists in the given mailbox (the default is INBOX). The number of new messages is defined as the number of messages that have "Recent" status set. If the mailbox contains no new messages, mailutil check will indicate that no new mail is present; otherwise, it will report the number of new messages. In either case, it will also indicate the canonical form of the name of the mailbox. mailutil create creates a new mailbox with the given name. The mailbox name must not already exist. A mailbox can be created in a particular format by prefixing the name with #driver. followed by the format name and a / character. For example, the command mailutil create #driver.mbx/junkmail will create a new mailbox named "junkmail" in mbx format. mailutil delete deletes an existing mailbox with the given name. mailutil rename renames an existing mailbox to a new name (which must not already exist). This only works if the old and new names are in the same mail store. A more general means to rename a mailbox is to do a mailutil copy of the old name to the new name, followed by a mailutil delete of the old name. mailutil copy creates a new mailbox and copies messages from the old mailbox to the new mailbox. As in mailutil create a mailbox format can be specified with the new mailbox. For example, the command mailutil copy INBOX #driver.mbx/INBOX will copy messages from your existing INBOX to an mbx-format INBOX. mailutil move is similar to mailutil copy but in addition will also remove (delete and expunge) the messages from the old mailbox after copying them to the new mailbox. mailutil append and mailutil appenddelete are similar to mailutil copy and mailutil move respectively except that they do not create the destination mailbox. mailutil prune prunes the mailbox of messages which match certain criteria, which are in the form of IMAP2 (RFC 1176) SEARCH arguments. For example, the command. mailutil prune INBOX "before 1-jan-2004" will delete and expunge all messages written before January 1, 2004. Note that mailutil implements pruning by deleting the matching messages, and then expunging the mailbox. Consequently, mailutil will also expunge any messages which were deleted at the time of the pruning. mailutil transfer copies an entire hierarchy of mailboxes from the named source to the named destination. Mailboxes are created on the destination as needed. Any error in copying messages will cause the transfer to stop. Normally, any error in creation will cause the transfer to stop. However, if -m MODE or -merge MODE is specified, a merging transfer is performed. The MODE argument indicats the type of merge: -m[erge] prompt indicates that the user should be asked for an alternative name to create. If creating the new name fails, the user will be asked again. -m[erge] append indicates that it's alright to copy the messages into an existing mailbox with that name. If the mailbox does not exist, the user will be prompted for an alternative name. -m[erge] suffix=XXXX where XXXX is any string, indicates that an alternative name should be built by appending the given suffix to the name. It that alternative name can't be created, then the user will be prompted for an alternative name. The source hierarchy consists of all mailboxes which start with the given source name. With the exception of a remote system specification (within "{}" braces), the source name is used as the name of the destination. The destination hierarchy is a prefix applied to any new names being created. For example, mailutil transfer foo bar will copy all mailboxes with names beginning with "foo" to names beginning with "bar" (hence "foobar" will be copied to "barfoobar"). Similarly, mailutil transfer "{imap.foo.com}" "{imap.bar.com}old/" will copy all mailboxes from the imap.foo.com IMAP server to equivalent names starting with "old/" on the imap.bar.com IMAP server. FLAGS
The -d or -debug flag prints full debugging telemetry including protocol operations. The -v or -verbose flag prints verbose (non-error) telemetry. The -u USERID or -user USERID switch attempts to become the indicated user. This is for the benefit of system administrators who want to do mailutil operations on a userid that does not normally have shell access. The -rw or -rwcopy flag causes the source mailbox to be open in readwrite mode rather than readonly mode. Normally, mailutil tries to use readonly mode to avoid altering any flags in the source mailbox, but some mailbox types, e.g. POP3, can't be open in readonly mode. The -kw or -kwcopy flag causes the keywords of the source mailbox to be created in the destination mailbox. Normally, mailutil does not create keywords in the destination mailbox so only those keywords that are already defined in the destination mailbox will be preserved. Note that some IMAP servers may automatically create keywords, so this flag may not be necessary. The -ig or -ignore flag causes the keywords of the source mailbox to be ignored completely and no attempt is made to copy them to the destination mailbox. The -ig[nore] and -kw[copy] flags are mutually exclusive. ARGUMENTS
The arguments are standard c-client mailbox names. A variety of mailbox name formats and types of mailboxes are supported by c-client; examples of the most common forms of names are: Name Meaning INBOX primary incoming mail folder on the local system archive/tx-project mail folder named "tx-project" in "archive" subdirectory of local filesystem home directory {imapserver.foo.com}INBOX primary incoming mail folder on IMAP server system "imapserver.foo.com" {imapserver.foo.com}archive/tx-project mail folder named "tx-project" in "archive" subdirectory on IMAP server system "imapserver.foo.com" #news.comp.mail.misc newsgroup "comp.mail.misc" on local filesystem {newserver.foo.com/nntp}comp.mail.misc newsgroup "comp.mail.misc" on NNTP server system "newserver.foo.com" {popserver.foo.com/pop3} mail folder on POP3 server system "popserver.foo.com" See your system manager for more information about the types of mailboxes which are available on your system. RESTRICTIONS
You must surround a {host}mailbox argument with quotation marks if you run mailutil from csh(1) or another shell for which braces have special meaning. You must surround a #driver.format/mailbox argument with quotation marks if you run mailutil from a shell in which "#" is the comment character. AUTHOR
Mark Crispin, MRC@Washington.EDU March 3, 2008 mailutil(1)