Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String Arithmetic ?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers String Arithmetic ? Post 302336757 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 06:10:58 PM
Old 07-22-2009
Remove the backticks (`) from this line:

Code:
scanFromLine=`$(( ${totalLines} - ${scanFromLine} ))` ## this line throws an error

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

time arithmetic

Can anyone help please. I am writing a kourne shell script and I am unsure how to do the following: I have extracted a time string from a logfile, and I have another time string I want to compare it to to see if it's later than the time I'm comparing with. i.e. expectedSLA="23:00:00", ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csong2
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arithmetic problem

i am used to making scripts for hp-ux. but lately i tried to make some for solaris. the problem is that when i tried to execute it it gave me an error the "let: not found". why is that? how can i perform an arithmetic function in the solaris shell script? thanks :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arithmetic syntax

okay, I'm a complete beginner, and I keep getting stuck on the syntax here. I want to write a script where I read the current time as minutes and seconds, convert the minutes to seconds, and add the two, then redirect the output to a file. the command takes two arguments, which will also be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paprbagprincess
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I use wc -l with arithmetic expression?

Folks, I am wondering that i can use something like this in one line. For example, $((cat filename > wc -l) / 2) It doesn't work; how to get it work using command substitution? Moreover, is there any option for wc -l not to return filename after the line counts? wc -l filename would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with arithmetic operation

I am using egrep to extract numbers from a file and storing them as variables in a script. But I am not able to do any arithmetic operations on the variables using "expr" because it stores them as char and not integers. Here is my code and the error I get. Any help will be appreciated. #!/bin/sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emjayshaikh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

arithmetic in tcsh

Yes I know tcsh sucks for scripting and arithmetic but I have to write a script for multiple users and they all use tcsh. I have this variable that I 'set' with but pulling numbers off of stings with set STUFF = `grep string file | awk command` Now I would like to add up the numbers that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gobi
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic: how to??

Hello all, I'd like to know how to perform arithmetic on multiple files. I have got many tab-delimited files. Each file contains about 2000 rows and 2000 columns. What I want to do is to to sum the values in each row & column in every file. The following explains what I want to do; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rahiz
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh arithmetic ?

Hello, Could someone explain how this one is possible: # @ x = 10 - 11 + 3 # echo $x -4 I know that writing script using csh is bad idea, but I need to write few lines. thanks Vilius (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Invalid arithmetic operator on string concatenation

Hello. LEAP_VERSION="4.2" export ARRAY_MAIN_REPO_LEAP=('zypper_local' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Non-Oss' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Oss' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Update' 'openSUSE-Leap-'"$LEAP_VERSION"'-Update-Non-Oss')Seems that the - is interpreted as a numeric... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic with bash

I need to divide the number of white spaces by total number of characters in a file using bash. I am able to get the number of white spaces correctly using: tr -cd < afile | wc -c I am also able to get the total number of characters using: wc -c afile How do I divide the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
2 Replies
FPARSELN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       FPARSELN(3)

NAME
fparseln -- return the next logical line from a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> char * fparseln(FILE *stream, size_t *len, size_t *lineno, const char delim[3], int flags); DESCRIPTION
The fparseln() function returns a pointer to the next logical line from the stream referenced by stream. This string is NUL terminated and it is dynamically allocated on each invocation. It is the responsibility of the caller to free the pointer. By default, if a character is escaped, both it and the preceding escape character will be present in the returned string. Various flags alter this behaviour. The meaning of the arguments is as follows: stream The stream to read from. len If not NULL, the length of the string is stored in the memory location to which it points. lineno If not NULL, the value of the memory location to which is pointed to, is incremented by the number of lines actually read from the file. delim Contains the escape, continuation, and comment characters. If a character is NUL then processing for that character is disabled. If NULL, all characters default to values specified below. The contents of delim is as follows: delim[0] The escape character, which defaults to , is used to remove any special meaning from the next character. delim[1] The continuation character, which defaults to , is used to indicate that the next line should be concatenated with the current one if this character is the last character on the current line and is not escaped. delim[2] The comment character, which defaults to #, if not escaped indicates the beginning of a comment that extends until the end of the current line. flags If non-zero, alter the operation of fparseln(). The various flags, which may be or-ed together, are: FPARSELN_UNESCCOMM Remove escape preceding an escaped comment. FPARSELN_UNESCCONT Remove escape preceding an escaped continuation. FPARSELN_UNESCESC Remove escape preceding an escaped escape. FPARSELN_UNESCREST Remove escape preceding any other character. FPARSELN_UNESCALL All of the above. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion a pointer to the parsed line is returned; otherwise, NULL is returned. The fparseln() function uses internally fgetln(3), so all error conditions that apply to fgetln(3), apply to fparseln(). In addition fparseln() may set errno to [ENOMEM] and return NULL if it runs out of memory. SEE ALSO
fgetln(3) HISTORY
The fparseln() function first appeared in NetBSD 1.4. BSD
November 30, 2002 BSD