Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dumb gnome terminal question. Post 302336713 by nixnoob on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 03:52:57 PM
Old 07-22-2009
Thanks Nitin, but what you refer to is the environment profile used when you connect to a remote system using ssh or telnet. What I'm referring to is creating terminal shortcuts on the desktop of my local system that will execute the terminal session profiles I setup

Each profile has it set so that it will automatically start an ssh session with certain parameters when I open it. I actually had the shortcuts setup on my system under Ubuntu before the drive crashed and I reloaded Cent. Just irritates me that nothing like that is fully documented, even in the user manual.

Thanks for the link Corona, I might be able to decipher the exact command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dumb question

My problem is as follows: I have to write a korn shell script which will run mutiple java applications one after one. For example, I will execute the java application A first, after it is done I will run application B. My question is how do I do this? How does my korn shell script know that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhab99
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

really dumb question...

ok i decided to go with Mandrake so i went to the site to download it and that took me to a mirror site. ok. so once i get there were can i find the install file(s) that i need? i only see a series of folder and files. the ones that say intall are instructions but i don't see the files themselves.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting to unix through hyper terminal - as a dumb terminal

I just changed from windows NT to XP and I am no longer able to connect to my unix system. I used to use hyper terminal -- which acts as dumb terminal to my main frame unix system. I think one of the options used to be "direct to comX". This option isn't listed now. I use a serial port and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michelle
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok really dumb question but...

Does anyone have detailed info on how to download the files. I go to www.freebsd.com and then i dont know what to do. I dont know why i dont know but im drawing a complete blank so is there anyone that can provide a step by step procedure for downloading/installing Linux? :confused: :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another dumb question...

Probably a really easy one for you guru's out there...:rolleyes: I need to make sure the reverse address lookup daemon in rarpd, is running. How do I do so? :confused: Did a grep for the process but couldnt find it, also looked in all the normal places, /bin etc... Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with gnome-terminal

Hello everyone. This is my first post.:o Using Ubuntu 8.04 and bash 3.2.39 i'm trying to adapt my routine to this platform. So, this means forget xterm and use gnome-terminal (as default ubuntu terminal). EveryDay i need to connect to several servers, and i've made a Tcl'script to make this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trutoman
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another dumb question but...

When getting a listing of files using "ls -l", my output shows the permissions, #oflinks???, owner, group, size, month-day-time, and file. In the example below, how would I know what year the file was last modified? -rw-rw-r--, 28, root, root, 2048, Oct 28 15:10, somefile.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KGee
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

this is a very dumb question...i know... :(

hi, when we do an "ls -l" on a directory, we get the listing of the contents of that dir... what is the meaning of some numbers...example in ; -rw-r--r-- 1 idr supp 0 Feb 18 19:41 dmesg drwxrwsrwx 2 root sys 96 Dec 27 15:31 test09 drwxr-xr-x 3 bin ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gnome-terminal questions

I have a couple questions regarding gnome-terminal. Basically I am trying to write an alias that will bring up several gnome-terminals that navigate to certain directories and run certain commands. I have it pretty well figured out, but the one I am having a problem with is simply running a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tennesseej
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with gnome terminal

Hi, I cant get this command to run in a new gnome terminal cd "$PRG" && gnome-terminal -x sh -c './prg -r testcommand' &>/dev/null & i can run just ./prg -r testcommand and it runs fine but in the command above it only runs ./prg Any ideas community Cheers in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
0 Replies
libgnome-keyring(3)						C Library Functions					       libgnome-keyring(3)

NAME
libgnome-keyring - gnome keyring library. DESCRIPTION
GNOME Keyring is a system to store passwords and other sensitive data in a standardized way across all GNOME applications. A keyring stores a collection of encrypted passwords and encrypted information about those passwords. A user can have multiple keyrings, each for a different use, but there is a default one, called 'login'. There is also a special 'session' keyring which is not stored on disk and goes away when you log out. When a user logs into GNOME, the keyrings are locked and a master keyring password has to be provided in order to unlock each of them. GNOME Keyring includes an SSH agent which integrates with the gnome-keyring and user login for its passwords. It can also use the main X.509 private key store. GNOME Keyring will set the SSH_AUTH_SOCK environment variable when it starts up. The id_rsa and id_dsa files in ~/.ssh are automatically usable through the SSH agent without first 'loading' them. Other X.509 private keys marked with the 'ssh-authentication' purpose are also usable. Additional SSH keys can be manually loaded and managed via the ssh-add command. If you use another SSH agent(such as the ssh-agent included with OpenSSH), you may want to disable the SSH agent in GNOME Keyring to pre- vent ssh from using it instead of your prefered SSH agent. You can set /apps/gnome-keyring/daemon-components/ssh gconf key to false. This prevents the SSH component of gnome-keyring from starting up when the user logs in. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-libs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-keyring-daemon(1), attributes(5), gnome-interfaces(5) http://library.gnome.org/devel/gnome-keyring/stable/ NOTES
Written by Jeff Cai, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 31 Jul 2008 libgnome-keyring(3)