Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Read only files for all users Post 302336509 by rakeshawasthi on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 09:21:12 AM
Old 07-22-2009
There is chattr on linux, but I dont know how to use. and I dont have Linux to try...
On that +i option is what you are looking for.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access another users files

Hi, I want to access another users files and directories.Is there any command to do in unix ??.I think CHOWN would work.May i know the exact command for it. Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: William1482
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

read() wont allow me to read files larger than 2 gig (on a 64bit)

Hi the following c-code utilizing the 'read()' man 2 read method cant read in files larger that 2gig. Hi I've found a strange problem on ubuntu64bit, that limits the data you are allowed to allocate on a 64bit platform using the c function 'read()' The following program wont allow to allocate... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkeyking
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read log files from last read

Hi i am looking a way to look at a log file(log.txt) from the last time I've read it. However after some days the main log file(log.txt) is rename to (log.txt.1). So now i will have two log files as below. log.txt.1 log.txt Now, i have to read the log from the point where i have left... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitsks
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to prevent a shell script from copy or read from Users

I have a script which do validation check and perform code migration from one env. to another, this is built for users/developers. How can I prevent this shell script from copy or read from users, as they can modify it and run it as per their requirement where as this has to be standard script and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pramendra
1 Replies

5. Solaris

samba read write access to owner and no access to other users

Hi All, I want to configure samba share permission so that only directory creator/owner has a read and write permission and other users should not have any read/write access to that folder.Will that be possible and how can this be achieved within samba configuration. Regards, Sahil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read files in shell script code and run a C program on those files

HI, I am trying to implement a simple shell script program that does not make use of ls or find commands as they are quite expensive on very large sets of files. So, I am trying to generate the file list myself. What I am trying to do is this: 1. Generate a file name using shell script, for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read through a file and create new users/assign them to groups in Ubuntu

Hi all. I need a shell script that can, in short, read through a text file line by line and create a new user in Ubuntu, as well as assign that user to a group. The format of the text file is not important but preferably: 'username:group'. I don't have much programming knowledge no matter shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LewisWeekly
3 Replies
pmvarrun(8)							     pam_mount							       pmvarrun(8)

Name
       pmvarrun - updates /var/run/pam_mount/user

Syntax
       pmvarrun -u user [options]

Description
       A  separate  program is needed so that /var/run/pam_mount/user may be created with a pam_mount-specific security context (otherwise SELinux
       policy will conflict with gdm, which also creates file in /var/run).

pmvarrun is flexible and can run in a number of different security setups:

root-root
       When pmvarrun is invoked as root, /var/run/pam_mount's permission settings can be as strict as needed; usually (0755,root,root) is  a  good
       pick  as  it  gives  users the debug control over their refcount. Refcount files are given their respective owners (chowned to the user who
       logs in).

user-user
       When invoked as the user who logs in, /var/run/pam_mount needs appropriate permissions to create a file, which means the write bit must	be
       set. It is also highly suggested to set the sticky bit in this case, so other users do not tamper with your refcount.

root-user
       Some  programs or login helpers incorrectly call the PAM stack in a way that the login phase is done as root and the logout phase as a nor-
       mal user.  Nevertheless, pmvarrun supports this, and the same permissions as in root-root can be used. While the user may not  be  able	to
       unlink his file from /var/run/pam_mount, it will be truncated to indicate the same state.

Options
       --help, -h
	      Display help.

--user user, -u user
	      User to handle, must be a valid username.

--operation number, -o number
	      Increase volume count by number.

-d     Turn on debugging.

Files
       /var/run/pam_mount/user

Author
       This  manpage  was originally written by Bastian Kleineidam <calvin@debian.org> for the Debian distribution of libpam-mount but may be used
       by others.

See /usr/share/doc/packages/libpam-mount/copyright for the list of original authors of pam_mount.

pam_mount							    2008-10-08							       pmvarrun(8)