Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basic Unix bash script help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Basic Unix bash script help Post 302336417 by ChrisHoogie on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 05:26:25 AM
Old 07-22-2009
Basic Unix bash script help

Hello there

Been using Unix bash scripting for two days now so am very new to this. I am currently doing a project now and i'm basically making a noughts and crosses game (or tic tac toe).

I have created the board using an array. When I try and check to see if the array is empty using an If function it says integer expression expected.

the code is as follows

if eval [ \$board$col1[$row1] - eq 1 ]

the 1 represents the empty space.

Cheers for any help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do basic unix commands not work in BASH

Why do basic unix commands such as "ls" not work in "BASH" mode?? I am frustrated!! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PixelLover
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with basic unix script

What I am supposed to do is creat a menu with the following Find a song Find a album Sort by artist Delete a song Add a new song Quit Now the file with the song information is database Here is what I have so far #!/bin/bash #================================================= #Script Name:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stp0052
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic bash 'for loop' usage

Hi! I have a simple question about using a for loop. I'm trying to open up all the zip files in the currect directory with ark, but I am getting the error "bash: syntax error near unexpected token `for $i ; do ark $i ; done ; I looked in the info pages for bash, but I can't seem to figure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orange Stripes
2 Replies

4. Programming

Creating a basic UNIX shell script for chatting

Hey guys, This is quite simply what I'm trying to make: A program that runs in a UNIX terminal that you can output text messages to from another machine. These text messages would be prepended with a customized prompt. I'd also like to have the window spew out random dumps of flavor text not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AcerAspirant
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required on basic Unix Bourne Shell Script

Howdy People :), I'm a newbie & its my first question here. I've started learning Unix Bourne Shell scripting recently and struggling already :p Can someone PLEASE help me with the following problem. Somehow my script is not working. Display an initial prompt of the form: Welcome to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: methopoth
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring a file - Basic Bash Question

*This is not homework I am new to UNIX and want to try this Monitoring a file demo* *If this is the wrong forum please move it - im new to the forums* $1 = the file to be monitored $2 = the time for the file to sleep If the file gets changed (using -nt) it will send my username mail saying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nolan-
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic bash, echo in loop for

Hi, I am trying to make a script to manage log. I want to write the name of the .gz I moved and the date : for i in `ls $replog/*.gz` do echo " $i " `echo $i date +%d:%m:%Y` `echo $datee `>> $replog/mrnet.log mv $i /var/log/vieux-logs done I need to echo... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dabless
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in making a basic bash script

Hi All, I am trying to monitor CPU load of few processes, with the same name. The output that I get from top is the following 28171 root 20 0 1089m 21m 3608 S 103 0.3 15:16.89 /opt/ppp//h264rtptranscoder.bin --videoPort=14504 --audioPort=14505 27589 root 20 0 1060m 23m... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liviusbr
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Beginner bash - basic shell script 'while' help...

Hi everyone, first time visitor to these forums here. Keeping a long story short I've been attempting to learn how to code in bash. I have VERY little previous experience with coding languages besides simply copying and pasting batch scripts for Windows. So, with that in mind I've followed a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meta
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash on Fedora error on basic script

I am not able to execute bash script on Fedora. They were running on another environment. This is a sample script: #!/usr/bin/bash input="./data/heu/hout1" i=1 j=0 while IFS= read -r file1 do #Some code here done < "$input" #echo $j I get an error: bash: s.sh: command not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
3 Replies
HOOLA(6)							     board_gen								  HOOLA(6)

NAME
make-gnome-freecell-board, make-aisleriot-freecell-board, make-microsoft-freecell-board, make-pysol-freecell-board - Programs to generate boards to be used as input to Freecell Solver. SYNOPSIS
program [-t] board-number or for make-pysol-freecell-board: program [-t] [-F] board-number [game-string] or for make-aisleriot-freecell-board: program [-t] board-number [game-string] DESCRIPTION
These programs are command-line programs that can generate the initial board of the Freecell games of several popular Solitaire implementations. Those boards can be in turn be inputted to fc-solve by means of a pipeline, or placed inside a file for safe-keeping. make-pysol-freecell-board and make-aisleriot-freecell-board also accept an optional third argument which indicates the game type. This type defaults to Freecell, but is useful for generating the boards of other games. Note that using this flag does not preclude one from using the "--game" flag of fc-solve. make_pysol_freecell_board.py accepts another parameter called -F or --pysolfc that deals the PySolFC boards instead of the classic PySol ones. A common paradigm for using those programs is something like: bash:~$ make-microsoft-freecell-board 11982 | fc-solve -l gi If the "-t" option is specified, then the 10 cards are printed with "T"'s, instead of "10"'s. While this does not have any effect on fc- solve it may prove useful for other solvers or solitaire implementations which do not accept "10"'s. Here is a short description of each program: make-gnome-freecell-board Generate the boards of the standalone Freecell program that comes with the GNOME desktop. make-aisleriot-freecell-board Generate the Freecell boards of GNOME's AisleRiot. make-pysol-freecell-board A Python script that generates the boards of the various games of PySol. make-microsoft-freecell-board A program that generates the boards of Microsoft Freecell and of the Freecell Pro implementation of Freecell. OPTIONS
board-number is the board number as a decimal number. game-string is a string describing the game. Valid strings and their respective games are: bakers_game - Baker's Game (*) bakers_dozen - Baker's Dozen (Broken) (*) beleaguered_castle - Beleaguered Castle (*) citadel - Citadel cruel - Cruel der_katz - Der Katzenschwantz die_schlange - Die Schlange eight_off - Eight Off (*) fan - Fan forecell - Forecell freecell - Freecell (the default) good_measure - Good Measure ko_bakers_game - Kings' Only Baker's Game relaxed_freecell - Relaxed Freecell relaxed_seahaven - Relaxed Seahaven Towers seahaven - Seahaven Towers (*) simple_simon - Simple Simon (*) streets_and_alleys - Streets and Alleys make-aisleriot-freecell-board supports only the games marked with an asterisk (*). SEE ALSO
fc-solve (6) /usr/share/doc/freecell-solver-bin/README.board_gen AUTHOR
Shlomi Fish, <http://www.shlomifish.org/> . board_gen 3.12.0 2012-06-22 HOOLA(6)