Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: editing files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting editing files Post 302336322 by peterro on Tuesday 21st of July 2009 08:43:24 PM
Old 07-21-2009
Or very similarly:

sed -i -e s/searchterm/replaceterm/g *.txt

You may need to quote the expression. You can also edit files in place with ed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

editing unix files on NT

i currently am using a unix server and NT pc. i have downloaded a ziped file that should explode into 3 seperate unix based files, however when i unzip it using Alading Expander it displays only 1. This exploded version contains all 3 files ( you can scroll down when viewing the file and see the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pixelmonkey
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing files

hi i would like to know whether i can delete a part of a file in C for eg. if my file contained 1234567890 and i want to delete 456 so that it becomes 1237890 is there a way i can do this. well, one way i can achieve this is by creating a new file, copy whatever i want, then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameersbn
2 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

the best way of editing .plist files

:( what is the best way of editing the various .plist files without adding third party files? Or is the easiest way is to add third party applications, which ones? please kept in mind that i am not a programmer. mike (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mehow
1 Replies

4. Solaris

changing IP thru editing files

I attempted to change the IP of my Solaris 9 box by changing these files: /etc/hosts /etc/hostname.dmfe0 And when I rebooted my system, the changes did not come up through the reboots. I have searched high and low and this is how you change the IP address permanently. Can anyone tell me what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluridge
2 Replies

5. Solaris

editing files with script

hi guys, We have to implement new local (/etc/default/login) USER security policy on almost 50 stations. so editing /etc/default/login and /etc/default/passwd will be way too long work. Can we do the same using some script, I mean editing the above files and putting variables as RETRIES=3, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing files to add some thing in all the files in a folder

Hi All, I have a folder that contains 100's of files and each file have a similar content like the following format: ((STBJa:200.0,((STBTz:200.0,(STSwe:200.0,(STDUw:200.0,(ST4Bu:200.0,STL2b:200.0):127.0):86.0):80.0):120.0, STAHr:200.0):134.0):200.0,STuNg:200.0);What I need is to do is add "#1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

7. Programming

Editing binary files

I am working in C and need a solution for below problem: I have a binary file, which needs to be edited in such a way no data is loss. For example i have to insert 3 bytes of data at some position without changing the contents of the file. if file has data as:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: junaid.nehvi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing files.

hello, i have a problem. suppose file.txt i want to add lines over those lines in a file if it starts and ends with how and "?" respectively. i want output like output file.txt thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashwantkumar
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script deleting my files, and editing files in subdirectories question

#!/bin/bash # name=$1 type=$2 number=1 for file in ./** do if then filenumber=00$number elif then filenumber=0$number fi tempname="$name""$filenumber"."$type" if (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGreatGizmo
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing files

This is a smallpart of my input file.I want to change the ID values of entries having CMW as an entry. Cont_1.266 . CMW 2958 3269 . - 0 PARENT=t:UM06506T0;ID=UM06506P0;rank=6 Cont_1.266 . CMW 3394 3505 . - 0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasdf
3 Replies
ex(1)							      General Commands Manual							     ex(1)

Name
       ex, edit - text editor

Syntax
       ex [ - ] [ -v ] [ -x ] [ -t tag ] [ -r ] [ +command ] [ -l ] name...
       edit [ ex options ]

Description
       The  editor  is	the  root  of a family of editors: and The editor is a superset of with the most notable extension being a display-editing
       facility.  Display-based editing is the focus of

The name argument indicates the files to be edited.

Options
       -    Suppresses all interactive-user feedback.  This option is useful in processing editor scripts in command files.

-v   Equivalent to using rather than

-t   Equivalent to an initial tag command, that is, editing the file containing the tag and positioning the editor at its definition.

-r   Used to recover after an editor or system crash.  It recovers by retrieving the last saved version of the named file.  If no  file	is
	    specified, it displays a list of saved files.

-R   Sets the read-only option at the start.

+command
	    Indicates  that  the editor should begin by executing the specified command.  If the command is omitted, it defaults to $, positioning
	    the editor at the last line of the first file, initially.  Other useful commands here are scanning patterns of the form  +/pattern	or
	    line numbers.

-l   Sets up for LISP.  That is, it sets the showmatch and lisp options.  The -x option is available only if the Encryption layered product
	    is installed.

-x   Causes to prompt for a key. The key is used to encrypt and decrypt the contents of the file. If the file contents have been  encrypted
	    with one key, you must use the same key to decrypt them.

Restrictions
       The command causes all marks to be lost on lines changed and then restored if the marked lines were changed.

The command does not clear the buffer modified condition.

The z command prints a number of logical rather than physical lines.  More than a screenful of output may result if long lines are present.

File input/output errors do not print a name if the command line minus sign (-) option is used.

There is no easy way to do a single scan ignoring case.

The editor does not warn you if you place text in named buffers and do not use it before exiting the editor.

Null characters are discarded from input files, and cannot appear in output files.

Files
       /usr/lib/ex?.?recover	     recover command
       /usr/lib/ex?.?preserve	     preserve command
       /etc/termcap		terminal capabilities
       ~/.exrc			editor startup file
       /tmp/Exnnnnn		editor temporary
       /tmp/Rxnnnnn		named buffer temporary
       /usr/preserve		preservation directory

See Also
       awk(1), ed(1), grep(1), sed(1), vi(1), termcap(5), environ(7)
       "Edit: A Tutorial" and the "Ex Reference Manual" in the
       Supplementary Documents, Volume 1: General User

ex(1)