Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple Script looking for Hard Coded Variables Post 302336214 by kshji on Tuesday 21st of July 2009 02:16:35 PM
Old 07-21-2009
You don't need eval, 1 parse is enough.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh
#simple script to grep for the IP of the host in any file
echo -n "Enter the IP address you want to find:"
read IP
log=/tmp/ipfind.out.$IP
echo "greping all files for $IP"
echo "This will take a considerable amount of time to complete..."
echo "Scripts logs to /tmp/ipfind.out.$IP"
# IP include ., which is special char for regexp, so you need change . -> \.
IP="${IP//./\\.}" 
# find regular files and grep IP, take time, output only filenames which include $IP
find / -type f -exec grep -l "$IP" {} \;  > $log  2>/dev/null
echo "Script complete. please check $log"

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get enviroment variables into AWK, but not quite that simple!

Hi, I have a script which loops through a file and based on the fields in the file does certain things. I'm just testing the final version and come up against a problem. One of the things is to copy files, so the line in the release.file would look like this. COPY my_file $COPY_DIR 777 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: m1l
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple question (for you guys, hard for me)

I am trying to exit this script by cd'ing into a particular directory. #!/bin/bash /opt/xxx/xxx/d2h $1 fname=$( /opt/xxx/xxx/d2h $1) cd /opt/xxx1/xxx1 find . -name '*'$fname'*' -ls cd /opt/xxx1/xxx1 Upon execution, it returns to my home directory (where I am running this script from. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BkontheShell718
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple unix variables in script

I'm creating a script that asks a user for a variable ex read filename; read numberinput; I also have a bunch of files named file.0 file.1 ... file.55 I'm trying to delete all files (if they exist) about file.$numberinput. Can someone help me out on how to include the variable as part... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenix4545
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple example for soft and hard links

Hai, give me a simple example for soft and hard links. this will work for soft link ?? ln -s (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramesh M
2 Replies

6. Programming

How to select option for binary coded value?

Hello everybody, I looking for advice. I'm trying to decode a binary file. Some parameters are "Binary coded", that means that if a byte in hexadecimal is "0A", then in binary is 00001010. So, to decode this Byte I need to refer to the table below (depending the value in binary format, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script with multiple variables like 25 variables.

Hi All, i have a requirement where i have to run a script with at least 25 arguements and position of arguements can also change. the unapropriate way is like below. can we achieve this in more good and precise way?? #!/bin/ksh ##script is sample.ksh age=$1 gender=$2 class=$3 . . .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file to read values from Db2 table replacing hard coded values

Hi, I want to replace a chain of if-else statement in an old AWK file with values from Db2 table or CSV file. The part of code is below... if (start_new_rec=="true"){ exclude_user="false"; user=toupper($6); match(user, "XXXXX."); if (RSTART ==2 ) { ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
9 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - Reads one line from standard input SYNOPSIS
line STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: line: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None DESCRIPTION
The line command copies one line, up to and including a newline, from standard input and writes it to standard output. Use this command within a shell command file to read from your terminal. The line command always writes at least a newline character. NOTES
The line utility has no internationalization features and is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. Use the read utility instead. EXIT STATUS
Success. End-of-File. EXAMPLES
To read a line from the keyboard and append it to a file, enter: echo 'Enter comments for the log:' echo ': c' line >>log This shell procedure displays the message: Enter comments for the log: It then reads a line of text from the keyboard and adds it to the end of the file log. The echo ': c' command displays a : (colon) prompt. See the echo command for information about the c escape sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: echo(1), ksh(1), read(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: read(2) Standards: standards(5) line(1)