Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Negative Numbers for input parameters. Post 302335982 by edidataguy on Monday 20th of July 2009 11:30:14 PM
Old 07-21-2009
It will be easy if you give the actual command.
Let us say you want to give:
Code:
myscript.sh -5

Then try:
Code:
myscript.sh -- -5

This tells the shell that what follows is not an option but a param.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input parameters

I have a script which take 3 input parameters 1st - a date (i.e. current date) 2nd - type (i.e. A) 3rd - limit (i.e. 40) normally the date parameter would be current date, so I thought I could do this calculate.sh $(date +%Y-%m-%d) A 40 however, it seems like it can't be done,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Negative Numbers and If Statements

Hi, Can anyone explain what is going on here: michael-browns-powerbook-g4-15:~ msb65$ start=-1 michael-browns-powerbook-g4-15:~ msb65$ stop=1 michael-browns-powerbook-g4-15:~ msb65$ if ; then echo hello; fi -bash: ; then echo hello; fi hello Are you not allowed to compare negative... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl output with negative and positive numbers

Hello, For my weather station I have made a little perl script to put the data into cacti. The next problem I have. I can only get positive numbers or negative numbers. What do I do: Though a shell scrip I call the perl script. Shell script: #!/bin/sh cat data.txt | stats.pl Perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbl-blacklight
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition of both positive and negative numbers

Let, I have three numbers +00123.25 -00256.54 +00489.23 I need to sum up all those three numbers, after storing them in three variables (say var1, var2, var3). I used both expr and BC, but they didn't work for me. But, I am not able to sum up them, as I don't have any idea how to... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Negative Numbers with If/Else

ValA=-29344 if ; then echo "NEGATIVE" else echo "POSITIVE" fi Can someone please tell me how else they would go about doing the above? When i do it, i get errors such as: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file based on positive and negative numbers

Dear All, I have to split a tab delimited file in two files based on the presence of a positive or negative in column number 9 , for example file: A 1 5 erg + 6766 0.9889 0.9817 9.01882 erg inside upstream B 1 8 erg2 + 6766 0.9889 0.9817 -9.22 erg2 inside... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolo.kunder
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed/awk to find negative numbers and replace with 1?

Greetings. I have a three column file, and there are some numbers in the second column that are <1. However I need all numbers to be positive, thus need to replace all those numbers with just one. I feel like there must be a simple way to use awk to find these numbers and sed to replace but can't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
5 Replies

8. AIX

Input parameters

friends and I can validate whether to run the shell has input parameters m event date, I occasionally happen something like this does not work if $ 1 is null then echo has entered input parameters else echo "parameter ok" fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting numerically considering both negative and positve numbers

Dear Experts, I have an IP file which looks like below ---- 100 200 5.02 100 200 -2.99 100 200 -3.01 200 300 2.05 200 300 3.01 200 300 -5.06 I want an OP which looks like (decreasing numerically)-- 100 200 5.02 100 200 -2.99 100 200 -3.01 200 300 3.01 200 300 2.05 200 300 -5.06 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting a file based on negative and positive numbers

I have a file that is pipe delimited and in Column F they have number values, both positive and negative. I need to take the one file I am starting with and split it into two separate files based on negative and positive numbers. What is the command to do so? And then I need to also transfer... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cckaiser15
4 Replies
ARRAY_SLICE(3)								 1							    ARRAY_SLICE(3)

array_slice - Extract a slice of the array

SYNOPSIS
array array_slice NULL (array $array, int $offset, [int $length], [bool $preserve_keys = false]) DESCRIPTION
array_slice(3) returns the sequence of elements from the array $array as specified by the $offset and $length parameters. PARAMETERS
o $array - The input array. o $offset - If $offset is non-negative, the sequence will start at that offset in the $array. If $offset is negative, the sequence will start that far from the end of the $array. o $length - If $length is given and is positive, then the sequence will have up to that many elements in it. If the array is shorter than the $length, then only the available array elements will be present. If $length is given and is negative then the sequence will stop that many elements from the end of the array. If it is omitted, then the sequence will have everything from $offset up until the end of the $array. o $preserve_keys - Note that array_slice(3) will reorder and reset the numeric array indices by default. You can change this behaviour by setting $preserve_keys to TRUE. RETURN VALUES
Returns the slice. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.2.4 | | | | | | | The default value of the $length parameter was | | | changed to NULL. A NULL$length now tells the | | | function to use the length of $array. Prior to | | | this version, a NULL$length was taken to mean a | | | zero length (nothing will be returned). | | | | | 5.0.2 | | | | | | | The optional $preserve_keys parameter was added. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 array_slice(3) examples <?php $input = array("a", "b", "c", "d", "e"); $output = array_slice($input, 2); // returns "c", "d", and "e" $output = array_slice($input, -2, 1); // returns "d" $output = array_slice($input, 0, 3); // returns "a", "b", and "c" // note the differences in the array keys print_r(array_slice($input, 2, -1)); print_r(array_slice($input, 2, -1, true)); ?> The above example will output: Array ( [0] => c [1] => d ) Array ( [2] => c [3] => d ) SEE ALSO
array_splice(3), unset(3), array_chunk(3). PHP Documentation Group ARRAY_SLICE(3)