Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Resolving Var to its contents Post 302335818 by gio001 on Monday 20th of July 2009 02:37:26 PM
Old 07-20-2009
The code
Code:
emt=test1_$1
emc=test2_$1

is used to build a string representing the variable which I want to find the contents of.
This example code might not make any practical sense, the point of it is that I would like to be able to build a var name on the fly and be able to find its contents .....
So instead of this output:
Code:
test1_x1
test2_x1
test1_x1_EM
test2_x1_EM
test1_x2
test2_x2
test1_x2_EM
test2_x2_EM

I would like to see:
Code:
/dir1/test/FileOneOne_200907201429
/dir1/test/FileTwoOne_200907201429
/dir1/test/OneOne_200907201429
/dir1/test/TwoOne_200907201429
/dir1/test/FileOneTwo_200907201429
/dir1/test/FileTwoTwo_200907201429
/dir1/test/OneTwo_200907201429
/dir1/test/TwoTwo_200907201429

Thanks.

Last edited by gio001; 07-20-2009 at 03:47 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accidentally remove the contents of /var/sadm/pkg

Hi all, I carelessly remove the contents of /var/sadm/pkg. I do not have any backup of the folder. What can I do ? Thanks a lot. :eek: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: stancwong
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS not resolving

I have configured my solaris 9 box to obtain a IP from the DHCP server which is on windows, I have also set up the DNS with domain name and name servers under /etc/resolv.conf I can ping a ip address I just cant seem to ping hostnames, theres probaly something im not doing. I have looked through... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
9 Replies

3. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Lost /var/sadm/install/contents file and /var/sadm/pkg

Hello, I recently found that my /var/sadm/install/contents, ~/admin/default, /var/spool/patch and /var/spool/pkg files were empty. This broke the pkginfo, pkgchk and other package related tools. The pkgmap no longer points to where the applications have been installed. I have replaced the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronin42
0 Replies

5. Solaris

/var/adm & /var/sadm

what is the difference between tha /var/adm and /var/sadm files in solaris 10 Os please can any one respond quickly thanking you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wkbn86
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: compose regex in variable and then use its contents like $0 ~ var

A question to the awk pundits: I was thinking about composing a regex in a variable and then use its contents like $0 ~ var instead of $0 ~ /r/. Sort of indirection. Did someone run into this? Is it possible at all? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RudiC
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh , how to set var value into new var, in short string concatenation

i try to find way to make string concatenation in csh ( sorry this is what i have ) so i found out i can't do : set string_buff = "" foreach line("`cat $source_dir/$f`") $string_buff = string_buff $line end how can i do string concatenation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Contents deleted from /var/sadm

Hi, Somebody/somebody removed all contents /vat/sadm on Solaris 10 Sparc box. As of now server is up and running. There is no backup for this server. If we copy contents from another equivalent server, can it work ? We don't know if it will be fixed by booting form DVD also. Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
4 Replies
opendiff(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       opendiff(1)

NAME
opendiff -- Use FileMerge to graphically compare or merge file or directories SYNOPSIS
opendiff file1 file2 [-ancestor ancestorFile] [-merge mergeFile] opendiff dir1 dir2 [-ancestor ancestorDirectory] [-merge mergeDirectory] DESCRIPTION
opendiff is a command line utility that provides a convenient way to launch the FileMerge application from Terminal to graphically compare files or directories. If FileMerge is already running, opendiff will connect to that running instance for the new comparison. opendiff exits immediately after the comparison request has been sent to FileMerge. opendiff and FileMerge can be used to compare two files file1 and file2 or to compare two directories dir1 and dir2. If the -ancestor flag is given, FileMerge will compare the two files or directories to a common ancestor. This is useful if two people inde- pendently modify copies of a single original file or directory. FileMerge lets you merge two files or directories together to create a third file or directory. To see the contents of a merged file, drag the splitter bar at the bottom of FileMerge's file comparison window. The contents of the merged file can be directly edited within File- Merge. After editing, the merged file can be saved to the file (or into the directory) specified with the Fl merge flag. If a destination is not specified with the -merge flag, FileMerge will ask for a destination file or directory when you try to save a merged file. For further information, please consult the Help information available from the FileMerge application. FILES
/Developer/Applications/Utilities/FileMerge.app opendiff and FileMerge are installed as part of the Mac OS X Developer Tools. SEE ALSO
diff(1), diff3(1), cmp(1) Mac OS X August 3, 2004 Mac OS X