Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass input and output file as parameter to awk script Post 302335631 by kshji on Monday 20th of July 2009 06:05:46 AM
Old 07-20-2009
I can't see the light ?
What difference is using set output in command line or in awk ?

You also didn't try:
Code:
awk -v outfile="somefile.txt" -f csv2pipe.awk raw.txt
and then in awk redirect all your print/printf using variable outfile, which you have set in commandline.
print .... >> outfile

Variable setting is more readable as using command line arguments in awk.

Doc, including awk, look "Command-line arguments" in Awk-section.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PASS parameter to AWK

Hi, Can i pass a parameter(not a file name) as a parameter to a awk program? eg; $awk -f test 1 2 3 here test is the filename...and 1,2,3 are the i/p parameters? thank you:-) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unisam
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a file as input and pass each line to another script

Hi, I am trying to write a ftp script which will read a file for filenames and ftp those files to another server. Here's my ftp script, but it's scanning the current directory for file names. My question is how can I pass multiple files (these files will have the name of data files that need to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajjad02
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk pass $LOGDIR parameter

hi guys i need your help , i wrote one script which is as below #!/bin/ksh ########################################################### LOGDIR=/export/home/xyz/logs EMAILFile=$LOGDIR/xxs_email.log BOX=$(uname -a | awk '{print $2}') awk '{if ($4 >= 30) {print $1 " " $3 " HAS LAG of "... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tapia
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Script to convert input file(s) to output file

Hi All, I am hoping someone can help me with some scripting I need to complete using AWK. I'm trying to process multiple fixed files to generate one concatenated fixed file in a standard format. The Input file is:- aaaa bbbbb ccccc 1 xxxx aaa bbb aaaa bbbbb ccccc 2 abcd aaa CCC... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason_v_brown
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the password as input parameter to scp

Dear all Does anybody know how to pass the password as input parameter to scp or rsync in unix scripts? I have tried echo <password> | scp filename username@<ip address>:/filepath/ . But it does not work. BTW, I dont want to setup ssh trust between servers in this adhoc task. Regards,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldonlck
2 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unable to pass shell script parameter value to awk command in side the same script

Variable I have in my shell script diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk -F'~' ''$2 == "$id"' {print $0}' > $new I could see value of $id is not passing to the awk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the parameter in xml file in UNIX shell script?

Hi, I have an XML file like the following... <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <ONDEMAND_JOB VERSION="5.1" LOCALE="en_US"> <IMPORT_JOBSET TC_CONNECTION_NAME="default" ENVIRONMENT="PRD" USERNAME="Administrator" PASSWORD="AdminPassword" CALENDAR="Main Monthly Calendar"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Debalina Roy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the parameter in xml file in UNIX shell script?

Hi, I have an XML file like the following... <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <ONDEMAND_JOB VERSION="5.1" LOCALE="en_US"> <IMPORT_JOBSET TC_CONNECTION_NAME="default" ENVIRONMENT="PRD" USERNAME="Administrator" PASSWORD="AdminPassword" CALENDAR="Main Monthly Calendar"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Debalina Roy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How pass the input parameter to a file in the script ?

OS version: RHEL 6.7 myTextFile.txt file is referred within Script1.sh script, I only execute Script1.sh and I want the input variable to be passed inside myTextFile.txt . Any idea how I can do this ? $ cat script1.sh cat myTextFile.txt $ cat myTextFile.txt $1 Requirement1.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need list of input and output parameter of task in a text file, using shell script

//file begin ===== //some code task abcd_; input x; input y,z; //some comment output w; //some comment reg p; integer q; begin //some code end endtask : abcd_ //some code //file end ===== expected output from above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rishifrnds
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)