Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search files without a specific text Post 302335242 by risk_sly on Friday 17th of July 2009 08:10:42 PM
Old 07-17-2009
search files without a specific text

Hi all,

I need UNIX command that would give me all files without the string "4R" anywhere in the file. I have about a hundred files in my directory, and I need to list all files wihtout the string "4R" anywhere. Can anyone help me please? Thank you.l

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search all files for specific string

Hi Friends, How can I search all files in all slices on a unix system for a particular string within the file. e.g search string 'oracle' Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshy
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search files containing a specific word in the content

Hi all, Lets say I have 3 files a.txt and b.txt and c.txt. a.txt has the following text ==================== apple is good for health b.txt has the following text ==================== apple is pomme in french c.txt has the following text ==================== orange has citric acid... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amjath78
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search files that all contain 4 specific words

Hello, I want an one line command that brings me back all the files in a folder that contain 4 specific words anywhere inside them. I want to use find,xargs and grep. for example i know for one word the command would be: find . | xargs grep 'Word1' But i don't know for 4 specific words... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: WoodenSword
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and replace a specific text in text file?

I have a text file with following content (3 lines) filename : output.txt first line:12/12/2008 second line:12/12/2008 third line:Y I would like to know how we can replace 'Y' with 'N' in the 3rd line keeping 1st and 2nd lines same as what it was before. I tried using cat output.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosham
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to search all the files in a directory for a specific string

Hi Guys, I want to search the content of all the files (of a particular type like .txt) in a directory for a specific string pattern. Can anyone help me? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files of specific size excluding search in a subdirectory

Hi All, I was exploring find command and came across -prune option which would exclude search in a mention subdirectory. My quesry is to search all files more that 100 MB size but exclude search in a subdirectory. I am using below command,but somehow it is not working. Can anybody help me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a file for specific text

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here. I'm working on a ksh script on Solaris 5.10 and have a question. I'm trying to search for a word line by line in a log file, and grab the text right after it inside quotes, and assign that to a variable. For example, each line in the log will look something... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kristin_in_CO
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pattern search using grep in specific range of files

Hi, I am trying to do the following: grep -l <pattern> <files to be searched for> In <files to be searched for> , all files should of some specific date like "Apr 8" not all files in current directory. I just to search within files Apr 8 files so that it won't search in entire list of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apjneeraj
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help search and replace hex values only in specific files

perl -pi -e 's/\x00/\x0d\x0a/g' `grep -l $'GS' filelist` This isn't working :confused:, it's not pulling the files that contain the regex. Please help me rewrite this :wall:. Ideally for this to work on 9K of 20K files in the directory, I've tried this but I don't know enough about awk... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: verge
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Program to search for the files with specific format

Hi All, Your help on the below requirement is highly appreciated. I am building a program which should pick the file from a source directory and place them into target directory. While selecting the file in source it should look for some pattern in the file name. Ex: File Name 1:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath561989
10 Replies
FAM_MONITOR_COLLECTION(3)						 1						 FAM_MONITOR_COLLECTION(3)

fam_monitor_collection - Monitor a collection of files in a directory for changes

SYNOPSIS
resource fam_monitor_collection (resource $fam, string $dirname, int $depth, string $mask) DESCRIPTION
Requests monitoring for a collection of files within a directory. A FAM event will be generated whenever the status of the files change. The possible event codes are described in detail in the constants part of this section. PARAMETERS
o $fam - A resource representing a connection to the FAM service returned by fam_open(3) o $dirname - Directory path to the monitored files o $depth - The maximum search $depth starting from this directory o $mask - A shell pattern $mask restricting the file names to look for RETURN VALUES
Returns a monitoring resource or FALSE on errors. SEE ALSO
fam_monitor_file(3), fam_monitor_directory(3), fam_cancel_monitor(3), fam_suspend_monitor(3), fam_resume_monitor(3). PHP Documentation Group FAM_MONITOR_COLLECTION(3)