Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX When/how is $HOSTNAME populated ? Post 302335125 by mbs on Friday 17th of July 2009 10:08:29 AM
Old 07-17-2009
Maybe it's a question of the shell you're using? Some shells use $HOST (eg. tcsh) others (eg. bash) use $HOSTNAME

mbs

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hostname

Hello, I am installing redhat linux 6.2 on an intel based system. Whether i want to know any naming conventions should i follow. ie Any convention to follow to name a linux machine(To give hostname). Simillarly for domain name also. Please suggest in this regard (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

looking up hostname

Using Solaris 8 (or WINXP). I am trying to look up a specific DNS hostname, but I don't know which DNS server houses that entry. How can I find the hostname? nslookup gives me the following: C:\>nslookup hostname Server: dnsserver Address: x.x.x.x *** dnsserver can't find hostname:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing hostname

Hi, I am using hostname environment variable in my shell script to print the host name but it's printing nothing.Can you please help me on this. Please find the part of the code pasted here: llist= llist=$(ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep -c "$1") echo "Hostname is ${hostname}" (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gbiswal
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log file not getting populated when using BTEQ

Hi, I am trying to run some SQL scripts under the UNIX server using BTEQ. When I try to create a log file, the file gets populated only to the point where I log into BTEQ. The log file for the running of the actual script does not seem to be stored. Would any one know ehy this could be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zsrinathz
3 Replies

6. SCO

Possible hostname issue?

from the hostname command I get this: scosysv.mycompany0 when I ping scosysv.mycompany0 i get 64.158.xx.xx which fails with 100% packet loss. /etc/hosts shows 199.199.199.1 scosysv scosysv.mycompany0 scosysv.mycompany0.com when I ping the hostname value isn't the local IP 199.199.199.1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbxguy
6 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname...

Hi All, So we added a new HP-UX 11.31 machine. Copied OS via Ignite-UX (DVD)over from this machine called machine_a. It was supposed to be named machine_c. And it is when you log in...however when I'm in the ILO console before logging in, it says: It should say: What gives? And how do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

8. AIX

Hard Drive stuck in populated state?

Hi all, I ended up replacing a failed disk drive on my power 7. I had a few issues with unmirroring as it had a stale logical volume. I ended up finally getting it to unmirror the rootvg. I had an empty space in slot 3 so I ended up putting the new disk in slot 3. It configured to hdisk0 with no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlexanderIII
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hostname -f hostname: Unknown host

deleted (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies

10. Web Development

How to get input text boxes populated / perl cgi?

Hi, I know how to populate a combo box or a drop down list box which I do as under : Query that gets the data for the drop down box : $qry = "select \"EmployeeID\" AS empid, \"FirstName\"::text || ' ' ||\"LastName\"::text as name from \"Employees\""; $qq =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrykhatri531
1 Replies
Irssi(1)						      General Commands Manual							  Irssi(1)

NAME
Irssi - a modular IRC client for UNIX SYNOPSIS
irssi [-dv!?] [-c server] [-p port] [-n nickname] [-w password] [-h hostname] DESCRIPTION
Irssi is a modular Internet Relay Chat client. It is highly extensible and very secure. Being a fullscreen, termcap based client with many features, Irssi is easily extensible through scripts and modules. OPTIONS
--config=FILE use FILE instead of ~/.irssi/config. --home=PATH PATH specifies the home directory of Irssi. Default is ~/.irssi -c, --connect=SERVER connects to SERVER -w, --password=PASSWORD use PASSWORD for authentication. -p, --port=PORT automatically connect to PORT on server. -!, --noconnect disables autoconnecting. -n, --nick=NICKNAME specify NICKNAME as your nick. -h, --hostname=HOSTNAME use HOSTNAME for your irc session. -d, --dummy use dummy terminal mode. -v, --version display the version of Irssi. -?, --help show a help message. SEE ALSO
Irssi has been supplied with a huge amount of documentation. Check /help or look at the files contained by /usr/share/doc/irssi* FILES
/etc/irssi.conf Global configuration file ~/.irssi/config Personal configuration file ~/.irssi/config.autosave Automatic save of the personal config file when it was changed externally ~/.irssi/default.theme Default irssi theme ~/.irssi/away.log Logged messages in away status /usr/share/irssi/help/ Directory including many help files /usr/share/irssi/scripts/ Global scripts directory /usr/share/irssi/themes/ Global themes directory ~/.irssi/scripts/ Default scripts directory ~/.irssi/scripts/autorun/ Directory containing links to scripts that should be loaded automatically on startup ~/.irssi/startup File containing a list of commands to execute on startup AUTHORS
/CREDITS Irssi was written by Timo Sirainen <cras@irssi.org> This manpage was written by Istvan Sebestyen <stevee@alphanet.ch> and Stefan Tomanek <stefan@pico.ruhr.de> Irssi IRC client September 2002 Irssi(1)