Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to rename all files that have a certain text in the filename using tcsh shell Post 302335117 by in2vtec on Friday 17th of July 2009 09:31:11 AM
Old 07-17-2009
Kshji,

Thanks for your help.

One of team members used the following (can you tell me what the difference is between your method and his?):

#!/usr/bin/sh

# usage: call ./rename.sh .*.xlt
for file in *.xlt
do
newfile=`echo $file | sed s/$1/$2/g`
echo is $newfile
mv $file $newfile
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename files using shell scripting

Hi all, i want to rename some files in my directory using korn shell scripting. 1) i want to rename files who have no extension so that they will have the format: filename.extension and 2) i want the files who has extension initially, to stay the same (they will not be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Rename/Convert Files in Shell Scripting?

Hi All, I want to Rename/Convert all the .doc files in to .pdf format. I am using the following Script. But the final output is not proper. ########################################## cd /u13/prepaid/ftpdata/INfiles/sap/ for name in `ls *.doc` do name1=`echo $name | sed -e... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanu_oracle
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to rename files

Hi, i need a bit of help writting a tcsh script which renames all ascii text files in the current directory by adding a number to their names before the extension so for example, a directory containing the files Hello.txt Hello.t Hello should have the following changes, Hello.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakuzaa
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename mass files with text from first line

I have a few hundred text files that are currently numbered files. I would like to rename each one with the text from the first line in the file. I would prefer this is perl script rather than a one liner as it wil be after many alterations to the file via an existing script. Any help would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GWhizz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename all files (filename with spaces) to different extension

Hi, I have files with filenames as below. SGM Daily Sales Email-en-us-05312012.xlwa I want to rename it in .xls. I am writing a script to change this, as there can be multiple files in subfolders. I have the following script. #!/bin/ksh for oldfile in $(find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to get one to one map and rename the filename

I have 2 files sorted by numerically. I need help with shell script to read these 2 files and do a 1:1 mapping and rename the filenames with the mapped case#; For example: cat case.txt 10_80 10_90 cat files.txt A BCD_x 1.pdf A BCD_x 2.pdf ls pdf_dir A BCD_x 1.pdf A BCD_x 2.pdf ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through the dir and Rename zip files and their underlying text file.

I have files in the ABC_YYYYMMDD.zip format under a directory. Each zip file contains A text file in the ABC_YYYYMMDD.txt format. I am trying to create a script that will Rename the zip files and their underlying text file replacing the datepart in them with . For eg: in the case of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash987
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files based on name in text file

Hello, I have a text file "file.list" with the contents below. file1 filename1 file2 filename2 file3 filename3 file1, file2 and file3 are files existing in the same directory as the text file file.list. I want to rename file1 to filename1, file2 to filename2, as show in the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james2009
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rename files based on simple text file

Hello! New here although not completely new to Unix. I wonder how I could rename files based on the data found in a simple textfile. It goes like this: I have 4 files 1 ldfgkkfjslkdfjsldkfjsf.wav 2 nndsdflksdjf.wav 3 sdflksjdf jjsdflsdfl.wav 4 dkadsdddd.wav Textfile.txt looks like... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oortone
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename files repeats previous filename in directory

In the below bash processes substitution, if there are 3 files in a directory /home/cmccabe/medex.logs/analysis.log, the filename variable is set to where these files are located. The code does execute, the problem is that if there is a renamed file in the output directory below, it gets... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
FTP_NB_GET(3)								 1							     FTP_NB_GET(3)

ftp_nb_get - Retrieves a file from the FTP server and writes it to a local file (non-blocking)

SYNOPSIS
int ftp_nb_get (resource $ftp_stream, string $local_file, string $remote_file, int $mode, [int $resumepos]) DESCRIPTION
ftp_nb_get(3) retrieves a remote file from the FTP server, and saves it into a local file. The difference between this function and ftp_get(3) is that this function retrieves the file asynchronously, so your program can perform other operations while the file is being downloaded. PARAMETERS
o $ftp_stream - The link identifier of the FTP connection. o $local_file - The local file path (will be overwritten if the file already exists). o $remote_file - The remote file path. o $mode - The transfer mode. Must be either FTP_ASCII or FTP_BINARY. o $resumepos -The position in the remote file to start downloading from. RETURN VALUES
Returns FTP_FAILED or FTP_FINISHED or FTP_MOREDATA. EXAMPLES
Example #1 ftp_nb_get(3) example <?php // Initate the download $ret = ftp_nb_get($my_connection, "test", "README", FTP_BINARY); while ($ret == FTP_MOREDATA) { // Do whatever you want echo "."; // Continue downloading... $ret = ftp_nb_continue($my_connection); } if ($ret != FTP_FINISHED) { echo "There was an error downloading the file..."; exit(1); } ?> Example #2 Resuming a download with ftp_nb_get(3) <?php // Initate $ret = ftp_nb_get($my_connection, "test", "README", FTP_BINARY, filesize("test")); // OR: $ret = ftp_nb_get($my_connection, "test", "README", // FTP_BINARY, FTP_AUTORESUME); while ($ret == FTP_MOREDATA) { // Do whatever you want echo "."; // Continue downloading... $ret = ftp_nb_continue($my_connection); } if ($ret != FTP_FINISHED) { echo "There was an error downloading the file..."; exit(1); } ?> Example #3 Resuming a download at position 100 to a new file with ftp_nb_get(3) <?php // Disable Autoseek ftp_set_option($my_connection, FTP_AUTOSEEK, false); // Initiate $ret = ftp_nb_get($my_connection, "newfile", "README", FTP_BINARY, 100); while ($ret == FTP_MOREDATA) { /* ... */ // Continue downloading... $ret = ftp_nb_continue($my_connection); } ?> In the example above, newfile is 100 bytes smaller than README on the FTP server because we started reading at offset 100. If we didn't disable FTP_AUTOSEEK, the first 100 bytes of newfile would be ''. SEE ALSO
ftp_nb_fget(3), ftp_nb_continue(3), ftp_fget(3), ftp_get(3). PHP Documentation Group FTP_NB_GET(3)