Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: problem with rsync
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with rsync Post 302334994 by vvenu88 on Friday 17th of July 2009 03:16:16 AM
Old 07-17-2009
Hi pludi,

Each time rsync tries to connect to remote machine it prompts for password.
So many times i have to give the password to get my work done.
So i cant go for that.

And can you suggest me any laternatives to "mirror server" .
when i have browsed, i have come across names like RAID0 ,drbd,nbd.
I dont whether they really serve my purpose of "mirroring" action.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync problem - space character in filename

I have a freebsd box with a smb connection to a Windows server - I use rsync to copy specific directories, and files, between the two. The problem is the Windows box has files with space characters in their filenames and rsync fails to copy these. Reading the documentation of rsync it appears it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chief2
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsync problem

Hi, while runninc rsycnc I am getting following error rsync error: received SIGUSR1 or SIGINT (code 20) at rsync.c(229) any idea? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsync problem!!

I know double posting is not allowed... but I need urgent help on this question... so... please bear with me! I am having a problem with rsyncing 2 directories in my network. Here is the situation: 1. I have a directory tree on the 1 server say: SOURCE 2. I have to rsync this directory tree... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync problem

Hi, I wanna synchronize all the /etc settings from my previous server to new one. (Both of them are Debian Etch 4.0) I used this command: rsync -r -vz -e ssh someuser@myOldServer:/etc /etc & rsync -avz -e ssh someuser@myOldServer:/etc /etc These commands told me that everything occur perfectly... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdousti
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

single quote problem with rsync

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie and hope that someone help me in this problem. I have a filename in LINUX with single quote like this: abs@hosttest:~/ABS/BETY/cygdrive/C/DECLARANOT 1.1.4/02 - ROCK/052 - GUNSROSES> dir You* -rw-r--r-- 1 abs users 2365881 2008-08-25 09:16 You're Crazy.mp3 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_boysito
9 Replies

6. Solaris

Problem of install rsync on Solaris 10

hi all, I have download latest version for rsync from rsync download web site. I trying install rsync tool to sun solaris 10 (SPARC M4000 server) and but get some error. Please see below: -bash-3.00$ ./configure configure.sh: Configuring rsync 3.0.6 checking build system type...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlg13team
3 Replies

7. Solaris

rsync via ssh Problem

Hi all, recently I took over the admin-task for a solaris 10 x86 machine. I would like to use rsync for backing up files via ssh to another machine. There are two machines I have tested with both without success. One is a ubuntu server 8.04, the other one is ubuntu 10.04 desktop. Installed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sly_dunbar
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with rsync - connection unexpectedly closed

Hi i am running a rsync between two remote servers but it errors. The rsync command is a follows rsync -aWv -e rsh --stats progress --delete --ignore-errors --exclude .DS_Store --exclude .HSancillary --exclude .HSxmap --exclude .HSResource /raid1/PRODUCTION/ ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync problem versions out of sync

Hello, I have a report which I am writing as a .tex file, and I am editing from two computers (office and home laptop). I use rsync over ssh connection to synchronise between them and all the rssync commands are written in a Shell script. #synchronise from office computer to home laptop... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
2 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Rsync problem

Hi Guys does any know the cause of this error on rsync: tried transferring files to a remote server in a NFS share directory and i got that error, previously it was ok. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RobertG
1 Replies
NBD-CLIENT(8)															     NBD-CLIENT(8)

NAME
nbd-client - connect to a server running nbd-server(1), to use its exported block device SYNOPSIS
nbd-client host [ port ] nbd-device [ -sdp ] [ -swap ] [ -persist ] [ -nofork ] [ -block-size block size ] [ -timeout seconds ] [ -name name ] nbd-client -d nbd-device nbd-client -c nbd-device nbd-client -l host DESCRIPTION
With nbd-client, you can connect to a server running nbd-server, thus using raw diskspace from that server as a blockdevice on the local client. To do this, support from the Linux Kernel is necessary, in the form of the Network Block Device (NBD). When you have that, either in the kernel, or as a module, you can connect to an NBD server and use its exported file through a block special file with major mode 43. Optionally, long options can also be specified with two leading dashes. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -block-size block size -b Use a blocksize of "block size". Default is 1024; allowed values are either 512, 1024, 2048 or 4096 host The hostname or IP address of the machine running nbd-server. Since 2.9.15, the NBD utilities support IPv6. -timeout seconds -t Set the connection timeout to "seconds". For this to work, you need a kernel with support for the NBD_SET_TIMEOUT ioctl; this was introduced into Linus' tree on 2007-10-11, and will be part of kernel 2.6.24. port The TCP port on which nbd-server is running at the server. This option is required, unless the -N option is specified. nbd-device The block special file this nbd-client should connect to. -check -c Check whether the specified nbd device is connected. If the device is connected, nbd-client will exit with an exit state of 0 and print the PID of the nbd-client instance that connected it to stdout. If the device is not connected or does not exist (for example because the nbd module was not loaded), nbd-client will exit with an exit state of 1 and not print anything on stdout. If an error occurred, nbd-client will exit with an exit state of 2, and not print anything on stdout either. -disconnect -d Disconnect the specified nbd device from the server -list -l Ask the server for a list of available exports. If the server is exporting over IPv6 as well as over IPv4, this will list all exports twice; otherwise, it should list them all only once. Note that this option only works with nbd-server processes running version 3.1 or above, and must be enabled in server configuration (with the "allowlist" option) before it can be used. -persist -p When this option is specified, nbd-client will immediately try to reconnect an nbd device if the connection ever drops unexpectedly due to a lost server or something similar. -sdp -S Connect to the server using the Socket Direct Protocol (SDP), rather than IP. See nbd-server(5) for details. -swap -s Specifies that this NBD device will be used as swapspace. This option attempts to prevent deadlocks by performing mlockall() and adjusting the oom-killer score at an appropriate time. It does not however guarantee that such deadlocks can be avoided. -nofork -n Specifies that the NBD client should not detach and daemonize itself. This is mostly useful for debugging. Note that nbd-client will still fork once to trigger an update to the device node's partition table. It is not possible to disable this. -name -N Specifies the name of the export that we want to use. Required if the port is not specified, not allowed in the other case. EXAMPLES
Some examples of nbd-client usage: o To connect to a server running on port 2000 at host "server.domain.com", using the client's block special file "/dev/nbd0": nbd-client server.domain.com 2000 /dev/nbd0 o To connect to a server running on port 2001 at host "swapserver.domain.com", using the client's block special file "/dev/nbd1", for swap purposes: nbd-client swapserver.domain.com 2001 /dev/nbd1 -swap o To disconnect the above connection again (after making sure the block special file is not in use anymore): nbd-client -d /dev/nbd1 SEE ALSO
nbd-server (1). AUTHOR
The NBD kernel module and the NBD tools have been written by Pavel Macheck (pavel@ucw.cz). The kernel module is now maintained by Paul Clements (Paul.Clements@steeleye.com), while the userland tools are maintained by Wouter Ver- helst (wouter@debian.org) This manual page was written by Wouter Verhelst (<wouter@debian.org>) for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Permis- sion is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2, as published by the Free Software Foundation. $ NBD-CLIENT(8)