Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extract the lines between specific line number from a text file Post 302334913 by return_user on Thursday 16th of July 2009 09:16:16 PM
Old 07-16-2009
extract the lines between specific line number from a text file

Hi
I want to extract certain text between two line numbers like

23234234324 and

How do I do this with a simple sed or awk command?

Thank you.

---------- Post updated at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 PM ----------

found it:
sed -n '#1,#2p' <data-file> > <new-file>

thanks!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract specific lines from file

hi, how would i extract a range of lines in a file by using the line number? ex: file contains: 1 title 2 i want 3 this part 4 to be taken out 5 from this file 6 and sent to 7 another file 8 not needed 9 end of file In this case, i want to copy line number 2 to 7 on a new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines of text based on a specific keyword

I regularly extract lines of text from files based on the presence of a particular keyword; I place the extracted lines into another text file. This takes about 2 hours to complete using the "sort" command then Kate's find & highlight facility. I've been reading the forum & googling and can find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DionDeVille
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix: extract a specific list of lines from a file

I would like to extract specific lines from a file and output them into another file. Each line in the file has a unique ID, and I have a specific list of IDs (that are not consecutive) that I wish to extract. for example: 1 aaaaaa bbbcb cccccc 2 aaaaaa bbbbb cccccd 3 aaaaaa bbbab... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mert2481
6 Replies

4. Linux

Get a specific line number from a text file

Hello! All, Could you please tell me how to get a specific line number from a text file? For example below, ABC DEF ---> Get this line number, return to an variable GHI My OS is Linux. Thank you so much for your help in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: barryxian
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract specific data and count number containing sets from a file?

Hello everybody! I am quit new here and hope you can help me. Using an awk script I am trying to extract data from several files. The structure of the input files is as follows: TimeStep parameter1 parameter2 parameter3 parameter4 e.g. 1 X Y Z L 1 D H Z I 1 H Y E W 2 D H G F 2 R... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel8472
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific lines from a file

Hi, I have a file which contains DDL statements- CREATE TABLE, CREATE INDEX, ALTER TABLE etc. I have to only pick CREATE TABLE statements from the file- Source : ---------------------------------------------- --DDL for table abc -------------------------------------------- CREATE TABLE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newb
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing multiple lines on the same line between specific text

This is an extract from a large file. The lines that start with fc are ports on a fabric switch. In between each fc port there is information about the port. fc2/12 is up Port description is SEIEDISCOVER-3 Speed is 4 Gbps fc2/13 is down (Administratively down) fc2/14 is up Port... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific lines based on another file

I have a folder containing text files. I need to extract specific lines from the files of this folder based on another file input.txt. How can I do this with awk/sed? file1 ARG 81.9 8 81.9 0 LEU 27.1 9 27.1 0 PHE .0 10 .0 0 ASP 59.8 11 59.8 0 ASN 27.6 12 27.6 0 ALA .0 13 .0 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanmathew84
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines above and below specific line of text

I'm trying to remove a specific number of lines, above and below a specific line of text, highlighted in red: <STMTTRN> <TRNTYPE>CREDIT <DTPOSTED>20151205000001 <TRNAMT>10 <FITID>667800001 <CHECKNUM>667800001 <MEMO>BALANCE </STMTTRN> <STMTTRN> <TRNTYPE>DEBIT <DTPOSTED>20151207000001... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bomsom
8 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)