Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: split files based on size
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers split files based on size Post 302334842 by khanvader on Thursday 16th of July 2009 06:55:41 PM
Old 07-16-2009
Can you please explain jsut a little bit how this works for my understanding?

I can see that it will look under current directory and subdirectories for files with size over 5M..what is -type f do?. I am fairly new to unix...but just some general idea would be fine.

Thanks.

---------- Post updated at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:26 PM ----------

Also it echo all the files in the directory (by splitting) and I know there is only one that is over 5MB. However, if I change the size in find to +5242800c (bytes) then it echo the right file. So what could be wrong with +5M ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on size

Hi Friends, Below is my requirement. I have a file with the below structure. 0001A1.... 0001B1.. .... 0001L1 0002A1 0002B1 ...... 0002L1 .. the first 4 characters are the sequence numbers for a record, A record will start with A1 and end with L1 with same sequence number. Now the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diva_thilak
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file based on pattern and size

Hello, I have a large file (2GB) that I would like to split based on pattern and size. I've used the following command to split the file (token is "HELLO") awk '/HELLO/{i++}{print > "file"i}' input.txt and the output is similar to the following (i included filesize in KB): 10 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into multiple files based on field value

Hi, I've one requirement. I have to split one comma delimited file into multiple files based on one of the column values. How can I achieve this Unix Here is the sample data. In this case I have split the files based on date column(c4) Input file c1,c2,c3,c4,c5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manasvi24
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file based on file size in Korn script

I need to split a file if it is over 2GB in size (or any size), preferably split on the lines. I have figured out how to get the file size using awk, and I can split the file based on the number of lines (which I got with wc -l) but I can't figure out how to connect them together in the script. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssemple2000
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file in more files based on score content

Dear All, I have the following file tabulated: ID distanceTSS score 8434 571269 10 10122 393912 9 7652 6 10 4863 1451 9 8419 39 2 9363 564 21 9333 7714 22 9638 8334 9 1638 1231 11 10701 918 1000 6587 32056 111 What I would like to do is the following, create 100 new files based... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolo.kunder
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split Large Files Based On Row Pattern..

Hi all. I've tried searching the web but could not find similar problem to mine. I have one large file to be splitted into several files based on the matching pattern found in each row. For example, let's say the file content: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the File based on Size

I have a file that is about 7 GB in size. The requirement is I should split the file equally in such a way that the size of the split files is less than 2Gb. If the file is less than 2gb, than nothing needs to be done. ( need to done using shell script) Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split files based on user input

Hi All, I have a UNIX script which reads "PxyType" (read PxyType) as input from user and a file (eg : "File.json") with the list all PxyType's. Based on the user input for "PxyType" in "File.json", I want to redirect each matched line to a different file ("File1,2,3,..json"). Can you... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deena1984
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split files based on row delimiter count

I have a huge file (around 4-5 GB containing 20 million rows) which has text like: <EOFD>11<EOFD>22<EORD>2<EOFD>2222<EOFD>3333<EORD>3<EOFD>44<EOFD>55<EORD>66<EOFD>888<EOFD>9999<EORD> Actually above is an extracted file from a Sql Server with each field delimited by <EOFD> and each row ends... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amvip
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File Size Split up based on Month

Hi, I have a directory in Unix and there are folders available in the directory. Files are created on different month and now i have a requirement to calculate size of the folder on month basis. Is there any Unix command to check this please?? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nivas
6 Replies
SPLIT(1)							   User Commands							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [OPTION]... [INPUT [PREFIX]] DESCRIPTION
Output fixed-size pieces of INPUT to PREFIXaa, PREFIXab, ...; default size is 1000 lines, and default PREFIX is 'x'. With no INPUT, or when INPUT is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --suffix-length=N generate suffixes of length N (default 2) --additional-suffix=SUFFIX append an additional SUFFIX to file names -b, --bytes=SIZE put SIZE bytes per output file -C, --line-bytes=SIZE put at most SIZE bytes of lines per output file -d, --numeric-suffixes[=FROM] use numeric suffixes instead of alphabetic; FROM changes the start value (default 0) -e, --elide-empty-files do not generate empty output files with '-n' --filter=COMMAND write to shell COMMAND; file name is $FILE -l, --lines=NUMBER put NUMBER lines per output file -n, --number=CHUNKS generate CHUNKS output files; see explanation below -u, --unbuffered immediately copy input to output with '-n r/...' --verbose print a diagnostic just before each output file is opened --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE is an integer and optional unit (example: 10M is 10*1024*1024). Units are K, M, G, T, P, E, Z, Y (powers of 1024) or KB, MB, ... (powers of 1000). CHUNKS may be: N split into N files based on size of input K/N output Kth of N to stdout l/N split into N files without splitting lines l/K/N output Kth of N to stdout without splitting lines r/N like 'l' but use round robin distribution r/K/N like- wise but only output Kth of N to stdout GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report split translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund and Richard M. Stallman. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for split is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and split programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'split invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 SPLIT(1)