Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with IF - CAT - GREP in simple shell script Post 302334639 by rakeshawasthi on Thursday 16th of July 2009 06:13:55 AM
Old 07-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithpr
Hi Panyam,

Your script is nice. But instead of

grep -c "ORA" outlog 1>/dev/null

You can use

grep -q "ORA" outlog

This has the advantage that it will not write any thing on standard out put so no re-direction is required. Also it will exit with success on the first occurance of "ORA", will not search file till the end which is not required.
This is interesting... I would suggest using -w option also i.e. grep -q -w to make sure ORA is the same as we want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple shell script problem

hi all. i have a little problem. im basically reading input from the user from the keyboard into the variable "phonenumber". I want to do a little error check to check if the user doesnt enter anything in for the value phonenumber. i had this: read phonenumber if then ..... else ........ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djt0506
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with (probably) grep in shell script

Hi, im new to unix and i don't know much about shell. So i have something like this: LINK=`cat $FILE | egrep -A 3 "Ep.$EPI" | egrep "onclick" | cut -d"\"" -f2 | head -1`$FILE holds html source code and i try to cut some urls out of it. This works well in the command line, but not in my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proxy_
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

one simple shell script problem

Hi everyone, I am facing to one shell script problem, which is as following Write a shell script that: Takes a number of arguments. For each argument, print out all files in the current directory that contain this substring in their name. I know I need to use grep for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaloovia
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple for loop/cat issue

ok.. so problem is: I have a file that reads: cat 123 1 and 2 3 and 4 5 and 6 I was using for loops to run through this information. Code: for i in `cat 123` do echo $i done shouldn't the output come as 1 and 2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: foal_11
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Shell Script to Grep

Hi guys, I have written this script, however the outcome is invalid. It contains grep search that is not needed: Script: #!/bin/bash #this is a test script FILES=$(ls /home/student/bin/dir1/*) GREPFUNC=$(grep -E -i "login|Successfully" ORProxyTC`date '+%m%d%Y'`*.txt/ ${FILES})... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem writing a simple c shell script

#!/bin/csh echo hello world this is what i got in a text file called ss1. i type "chmod 755 ss1.txt" to make it executable. then when i type ss1 or ss1.txt it says "ss1 command not found" what am i doing wrong? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple grep script

I'm trying to write a simple script to identify every user who tried to “sudo” on the system. I have the first portion down to grep the log file grep “sudo” /var/log/secure. What I want to do is have the script identify the person just one time not every instance the user tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bouncer
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script (simple problem)

I want to find and replace string from files present in one directory. user will input the string to be searched and to replace . Here is my program but Not working echo "Enter Old domain name:" read old echo "Enter New domain name:" read new grep -rl '$old' /var/www/ | xargs sed -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunny2802
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incredibly inefficient cat | grep script

Hi there, I have 2 files that I am trying to work on. File 1 contains a reference list of unique subscriber numbers ( 7 million entries in total) File 2 contains a list of the subscriber numbers and their tariff (15 million entries in total). This file is in the production system and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cludgie
12 Replies
cmannotifyd(8)						     CMAN Notification Daemon						    cmannotifyd(8)

NAME
cmannotifyd - CMAN Notification Daemon SYNOPSIS
cmannotifyd [-f] [-d] DESCRIPTION
The cmannotifyd daemon talks to CMAN and provides a mechanism to notify external entities about cluster changes. CMAN dispatches 3 kind of notifications: - CMAN_REASON_TRY_SHUTDOWN when cman requests to all clients if it is allowed to shutdown. - CMAN_REASON_STATECHANGE when cman detects a node joining or leaving the cluster. - CMAN_REASON_CONFIG_UPDATE when a configuration change event has been detected/requested. These notifications are then dispatched to the shell script cman_notify in the environment variable CMAN_NOTIFICATION. cman_notify will then execute all the scripts in the configured notification directory (default: /etc/cluster/cman-notify.d) passing a very minimal set of envvars including, of course, the CMAN_NOTIFICATION= type. The execution order is set by the filename as shown by "LC_ALL=C ls -las". cmannotifyd logs are stored in the default log file (/var/log/cluster/cmannotifyd.log). cman_notify logs are stored in the default log file (/var/log/cluster/cman_notify.log). By default the output from the scripts executed by cman_notify is redirected to /dev/null. Users can either set CMAN_NOTIFICATION_DEBUG=1 in their environment or set proper debug configura- tion in cluster.conf to redirect scripts output to the cman_notify log file. NOTES
cmannotifyd does not block on cman_notify nor check the exit status of the script. Notifications are dispatched in the same order as they arrive, one by one. CMAN_REASON_TRY_SHUTDOWN is passed to scripts for information only, they can not influence cman's decsion about whether or not to shut down. CMAN_REASON_STATECHANGE also implies CMAN_NOTIFICATION_QUORUM exported in the environment. CMAN_NOTIFICATION_QUORUM will be set to 1 (when the node is part of a quorate cluster) or 0 (otherwise). A template for cman_notify scripts can be found in the doc/ directory. OPTIONS
-f Run in the foreground (do not fork / daemonize). -d Enable debug output. November 2008 cmannotifyd(8)