Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Renaming files after their directory name in multiple sub directories Post 302334526 by robotsbite on Wednesday 15th of July 2009 07:52:11 PM
Old 07-15-2009
Question Renaming files after their directory name in multiple sub directories

So I am not sure if this should go in the shell forum or in the beginners. It is my first time posting on these forums.

I have a directory, main_dir lets say, with multiple sub directories (one_dir through onehundred_dir for example) and in each sub directory there is a test.txt. How would one rename all the text.txt files after thier respective subdir name.
so from:

main_dir/one_dir/test.text
main_dir/two_dir/test.text

to:
main_dir/one_dir/one_dir.text
main_dir/two_dir/two_dir.text
Any assistance would be really helpful. And if you could point me to a resource to learn these kind of things on my own without just reading all the man pages I would appreciate that as well.
Thanks,
robotsbite

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Batch Renaming: Change files' extensions in many sub-directories

Hi all - I'm trying to rename a large number of files all at once and need some help figuring out the command line syntax to do it. I've already done quite a bit of research with the rename and mv commands, but so far haven't found a solution that seems to work for me. So: The files exist... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave920
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

renaming files in the directory

suppose i have a few file like "a b c.txt" , "hello world.c" etc...(files that have space between them in their filenames). how do i change their filenames to "a_b_c.txt" and "hello_world.c" respectively? heres what i have tried...but failed $ find -name "*" -exec mv "{}" "`echo {} | tr "... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_d
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files out of multiple directories and renaming them in numerical order

Hi, I have 500 directories each with multiple data files inside them. The names are sort of random. For example, one directory has files named e_1.dat, e_5.dat, e_8.dat, etc. I need to move the files to a single directory and rename them all in numerical order, from 1.dat to 1000(or some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renthead720
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files from multiple directories into one directory without overwriting them

I have several directories and all those directories have .dat files in them. I want to copy all those .dat files to one directory say "collected_directory" The problem is I don't want to overwrite files. So, if two file names match, I don't want the old file to be overwritten with a new one. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in a directory

Hello, I would like to rename all available files in a directory from Filename to Filename_Normal. I tried to use below script but it is giving some error: #!/bin/sh for i in `ls` do echo Changing $i mv $i $i_Normal done Error received: Usage: mv src target or: mv ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishdivs
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving and renaming multiple files in a directory

Hi. I am trying to automate the movement and renaming of a number of files in a directory. I am using the 'mv' command as I do not have access to 'rename'. I have the following scripted FILES=$(ls /transfer/move/sys/mail/20130123/) if ; then for i in ${FILES} ; do mv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming files in multiple directories

Hi I have the following file structure and I want to rename all the abc.jar files to abc_backup.jar rock@server:~/rakesh> ls -R .: test1 test2 test3 ./test1: abc.jar ./test2: abc.jar ./test3: abc.jar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files from multiple directories along with directory indicator

Hi, Friends, i have a requirement where i need to rename my files residing in multiple sub directories and move them to one different directory along with some kind of directory indicator. For eg: test--is my parent directory and it has many files such as a1.txt a2.txt a3.txt ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to copy particular files from a multiple directories and paste in a new directory?

Dear all I have a multiple directories, say for example org1, org2, org3 ..... org100 and each directory having a file namely dnaG.fasta. I need to copy all the dnaG.fasta file from each directory and paste in another directory fastconcatg. Therefore, my script has to copy dnaG.fasta file from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
5 Replies
STICKY(7)					       BSD Miscellaneous Information Manual						 STICKY(7)

NAME
sticky -- sticky text and append-only directories DESCRIPTION
A special file mode, called the sticky bit (mode S_ISVTX), is used to indicate special treatment for directories. It is ignored for regular files. See chmod(2) or the file <sys/stat.h> for an explanation of file modes. STICKY DIRECTORIES
A directory whose `sticky bit' is set becomes an append-only directory, or, more accurately, a directory in which the deletion of files is restricted. A file in a sticky directory may only be removed or renamed by a user if the user has write permission for the directory and the user is the owner of the file, the owner of the directory, or the super-user. This feature is usefully applied to directories such as /tmp which must be publicly writable but should deny users the license to arbitrarily delete or rename each others' files. Any user may create a sticky directory. See chmod(1) for details about modifying file modes. HISTORY
A sticky command appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. BUGS
Neither open(2) nor mkdir(2) will create a file with the sticky bit set. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD