Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed: replace string with another string (with spaces) Post 302334471 by zmfcat1 on Wednesday 15th of July 2009 04:20:31 PM
Old 07-15-2009
Any suggestions on this? Thx.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed matching <tag1> newline spaces <tag2> and replace the value in the same string format

Hi, I'm very new to shell scripting and have searched google and this forum for quite some time now. I have the following in my xml file: <recipients> <member>value1</member> </recipients> I need to find a string <recipients> that follows with a new-line and bunch of spaces and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgharios
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replace that has spaces

cat rf|nawk '/Use SSL= 0/{n+=1}{if (n==3){sub("Use SSL= 0","Use SSL= 0x1",$0)};print }' > rf2Fails. sed 's/Use SSL= 0/Use SSL= 0x1/g' rf > rf2Fails. In addition, the goal is to ONLY replace the 2nd occurence of the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfransix
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find and replace a string with spaces and / recursively?

Hi all, I wanted to find and replace an email id from entire directory structure on a Linux server. I found that find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i 's/abc@yahoo.com/xyz@gmail.com/g' would do it perfectly. But my search criteria has extended and now I want to search for a string1 like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I replace a string in file that is in a certain position with spaces?

I am trying to replace the string in position 26 through 35 of the data file with 10 spaces and I want the remaining file to stay as is, the record length is over 900 characters? I am trying to use the AWK and substr but I am not getting it formatted correctly. Before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnwine1500
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
MB_EREGI_REPLACE(3)							 1						       MB_EREGI_REPLACE(3)

mb_eregi_replace - Replace regular expression with multibyte support ignoring case

SYNOPSIS
string mb_eregi_replace (string $pattern, string $replace, string $string, [string $option = "msri"]) DESCRIPTION
Scans $string for matches to $pattern, then replaces the matched text with $replacement. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The regular expression pattern. Multibyte characters may be used. The case will be ignored. o $replace - The replacement text. o $string - The searched string. o $option -$option has the same meaning as in mb_ereg_replace(3). RETURN VALUES
The resultant string or FALSE on error. NOTES
Note The internal encoding or the character encoding specified by mb_regex_encoding(3) will be used as the character encoding for this function. Warning Never use the e modifier when working on untrusted input. No automatic escaping will happen (as known from preg_replace(3)). Not taking care of this will most likely create remote code execution vulnerabilities in your application. SEE ALSO
mb_regex_encoding(3), mb_ereg_replace(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_EREGI_REPLACE(3)